Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
(12-17-2023, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. They have Aaron Rodgers under contract for 2 more years.

Who is 40 years old, coming off an Achilles injury, has a part-time gig on Jeopardy, and was a "dark retreat" away from retiring last year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 02:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who is 40 years old, coming off an Achilles injury, has a part-time gig on Jeopardy, and was a "dark retreat" away from retiring last year.

It would cost the Jets $66 million in dead cap to move on from him next season. As for the Achilles, he’s reportedly about to be medically cleared as early as next week.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 11:33 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: There is a difference between filling in to start a few games and being a full time starter.  But you knew that already.  A backup QB is supposed to be able to come in and spot start here and there when QB1 cant go.  

This is more than a spot start. Folks act like Browning is just spelling Burrow for a quarter. Like Burrow was back after 1 week. It’s been 4 games. Soon to be 7. Maybe 9. As some of these same posters finding fault with him was telling us was still possible when Burrow went down and chastised folks for dreaming of a top 5 pick and giving up on the season. Now 3-1, and breaking nfl records, and they say he’s proven not a starter quality NFL QB. 

Forced on the playoff fantasy train, mocked for believing there may be something there after all….

I don’t think there’s a difference with filling in for a starter and starting full time. A difference in full time starter and a spot start yea, but we are unfortunately passed the spot start label with Browning. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. They have Aaron Rodgers under contract for 2 more years.

Nobody knows what will happen in the offseason. Especially when staffs are fired. If JETS clean house and fire Rodgers beloved OC, who know if he’ll be back. He already took a pay cut. And has long played the retirement card. 

And who knows if Jake gets to the playoffs and wins a game what that will do for other coaches. Callahan / Pitcher. If they leave. Get a HC job. They’ll surely take Higgins and why not Jake. Even as a bridge qb there could be interest.

One with playoff experience. Good news is the other surprise backups won’t get traded because those teams starting qb’s haven’t proven themselves.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: There has been some magic here and if you are thinking short sighted about results, which makes sense, then he’s great. The reality though is he is doing a lot of half field reads and still missing a ton. Yesterday his INT was thrown on a curl/flat combo which is one of the most basic reads in any level of football. He had a dropper under his curl with a wide open flat. What makes it all worse is if he came off that combo he had a backside dig wide open for 20. There are numerous examples of him basically staring down one combo and missing getting to his 3rd option (except when it’s outlet, he is solid there).

He is bailing from clean pockets way too early at times. Sometimes he won’t make a decision and holds the ball past the window so then he has to bail to make a play versus taking what the play gives him.

Now, that all said as a back up he’s killing it. This run is magical and he will get better with more game reps. I’d just be very leery about some of the wild statements about comparing him to Burrow or that teams will be tripping over themselves to get him. We are having a great team run here and we need to recognize a lot of the magic isn’t just Browning. The screens that went for 30+ yards, the new found running game, the YOLO balls that are being caught, and the defensive turnover…they are all factors here.

Nice analysis, but I feel like some are judging him based on the Joe Burrow standard.

You can be a starter, and often times a successful one, despite flaws. I'm unsure of how many times I heard that Andy Dalton was a one read guy, or stared down AJ, but it was a lot.

I'm not saying Browning will have that type of success or even be a starter.

From what I've seen, no one has said Browning is better than Burrow. I don't even think anyone is really guaranteeing he will be a starter next year. I'd say the unreasonable ones are those who are suggesting he has no shot.

We can nitpick this guy to death and analyze every throw looking for flaws, but in the end, he's hitting more than he's missing, and most of them aren't "luck".

Also, do we treat Burrow the same way? When he has a RB take a dump off 30 yards for a score, are we putting an asterisk on that? Of course not.

We have to he fair, here.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Nobody knows what will happen in the offseason. Especially when staffs are fired. If JETS clean house and fire Rodgers beloved OC, who know if he’ll be back. He already took a pay cut. And has long played the retirement card. 

He’s been heavily involved with the team all throughout his recovery process. There’s really nothing to suggest he won’t be back for them.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 02:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It would cost the Jets $66 million in dead cap to move on from him next season. As for the Achilles, he’s reportedly about to be medically cleared as early as next week.

You make it sound like it would be the Jet's decision. 

Despite Geno Smith's HOF career, Jake would be worshipped as a God in Seattle

No one knows what Aaron is going to do

Despite Baker Mayfield's MVP season of an 89 passer rating TB could be a spot

NE and Chicago don't "have" to draft a QB early. They could roll w/ Jake and draft impact at another spot

No guarantee Cousins returns to Minny

Is Matt Stafford tired of getting hurt, Will Carolina add Byrce Young to the likes of Josh Rosen and Trey Lance, Is Sam Howell the answer in Wash...

If JB continues his current level of play there's 0 reason we can make the playoffs and advance. He will have a market if that happens

Reply/Quote
Not saying it's gonna happen, but in the improbable scenario that Browning leads this injury-riddled team to the SB, do you not think there would be a plethora of potential suitors knocking down the Bengals door, vying for Jake's services?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 07:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: And each of the three 4th quarter TDs were essential, and against a stellar defense (the NFL's stingiest defense since week 6, I believe the announcers said). The pressure of the entire season on the line. 

Fantasy wise, the Viking D are 6th against QB's, 21st against the run, and 14th ranked D. It was going to be a tough game where our playbook falls. But damn, they pulled off a great comeback. I love that Browning was able to stay focused and not panic. He played his game and man, it was a good game.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:34 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Not saying it's gonna happen, but in the improbable scenario that Browning leads this injury-riddled team to the SB, do you not think there would be a plethora of potential suitors knocking down the Bengals door, vying for Jake's services?

I think if that were to happen, the Bengals would themselves be vying for his services and make Burrow the highest paid backup QB in NFL history.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You make it sound like it would be the Jet's decision. 

Despite Geno Smith's HOF career Jake would be worshipped as a God in Seattle

No one knows what Aaron is going to do

Despite Baker Mayfield's MVP season of an 89 passer rating TB could be a spot

NE and Chicago don't "have" to draft a QB early. They could roll w/ Jake and draft impact at another spot

No guarantee Cousins returns to Minny

Is Matt Stafford tired of getting hurt, Will Carolina add Byrce Young to the likes of Josh Rosen and Trey Lance, Is Sam Howell the answer in Wash...

If JB continues his current level of play there's 0 reason we can make the playoffs and advance. He will have a market if that happens

Snarky bfine has entered the chat. LOL

Anyway man, like I’ve previously said, it’s probably a moot point. I seriously doubt Duke will trade him.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:34 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Not saying it's gonna happen, but in the improbable scenario that Browning leads this injury-riddled team to the SB, do you not think there would be a plethora of potential suitors knocking down the Bengals door,  vying for Jake's services?

It's fun to speculate. When Burrow went down the was a sizable group that wanted us to tank for the rest of the season, so we'd get a good draft pick. We could have our cake and eat it too if Browning gets us to and performs well in the Playoffs. Folks want the next Brock Purdy

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:34 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Not saying it's gonna happen, but in the improbable scenario that Browning leads this injury-riddled team to the SB, do you not think there would be a plethora of potential suitors knocking down the Bengals door, vying for Jake's services?

Probably. But Nick Foles might be a bit of a cautionary tale for teams. He was never able to become a good starter after that magical Super Bowl run with Philly. Bombed out in both JAX and Chicago.

Reply/Quote
Football is a game of inches and fans would probabaly be singing a different tune if the Vikings had converted that 4th and inches in OT after a horrible 3 and out from the Bengals. There was about 3 full quarters of bad from the offense and the QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: There was about 3 full quarters of bad from the offense and the QB.

They can say that about or elite QB1 (in losses). 

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: They can say that about or elite QB1 (in losses). 

Every offensive possession should end a TD
Defense should never give up a first down

If either happens the team sucks.....  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
[quote='Synric' pid='1438694' dateline='1702839105']
Football is a game of inches and fans would probabaly be singing a different tune if the Vikings had converted that 4th and inches in OT after a horrible 3 and out from the Bengals. There was about 3 full quarters of bad from the offense and the QB.
[/quot
Also 2nd quarter, Jones slowed down mid route or a nice long TD probably by Browning, but that is why you play 4 quarters, Browning did well under alot of pressure, 5 sacks and 7 pressures
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Football is a game of inches and fans would probabaly be singing a different tune if the Vikings had converted that 4th and inches in OT after a horrible 3 and out from the Bengals. There was about 3 full quarters of bad from the offense and the QB.

aaaahhhh....The old AJ McCarron playoff game stance

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 03:34 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Not saying it's gonna happen, but in the improbable scenario that Browning leads this injury-riddled team to the SB, do you not think there would be a plethora of potential suitors knocking down the Bengals door,  vying for Jake's services?

If that happens, it would be best to send him to the highest bidder.

Why:

Barring another JB injury, he won't play much, if at all, next year = this is a what have you done LATELY league. 
He will not be interested in a back up role come contract time most likely. 
Reply/Quote
I have just realized something Jake Browning has the greatest first 4.5 game start in NFL history
Reply/Quote