Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jake Dolegala has made the 53
(08-31-2019, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly I haven't understood all the love this Dolegala guy has got.

Guess he did alright that last game but couldn't finish cause of bad O-line play.

He has a big arm is this where the love comes from?

Big guy, big arm. Already has pretty good footwork. He looks to have a lot to work with. Coming from an FCS school, and with very little help around him, he looks pretty good out there--though we're talking about 3rd and 4th string--against guys that were still some of the better players from a lot of bigtime college programs. 

He certainly didn't look out of place or overwhelmed. 

Added bonus; he has Boomers old number. Big Grin

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Dolelaga = investing in a QB now for additional trade potential.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with that. I just thought it was another backup QB that people always fall for like Lefeavor fever or somethin'.

Guess I was wrong as the coaches clearly like the guy.

I liked what I saw of Finley the most though, love the pocket presence he has, rare.

I think the thing i like best is, Taylor played QB at Nebraska and he's coached under McVay and his system and was right there as Goff developed. You would think that he would have a type of guy that he wants for his offense and he's not going to just keep somoene in there because they're 'capable' and safe. 

This has been an offensive-leaning league for several years now and Marv just never latched onto that way of thinking. He was always stuck in running, defense and field position. 

I'm looking forward to seeing a more progressive system that looks like a typical NFL offense of this day--not days gone by. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Interesting move. Hopefully unlike Goff Dolegala shows the ability to read defenses quickly as the Pats showed Goff up big time in the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly I haven't understood all the love this Dolegala guy has got.

Guess he did alright that last game but couldn't finish cause of bad O-line play.

He has a big arm is this where the love comes from?

It's not just the arm.  Jake has the poise, field awareness and other intangibles that most good QBs possess.  With our coach being a former QB, and QB coach, he likely sees other little nuances that we do not.  Not to mention, the dude is huge!  6'7", with a strong arm, and can move a bit.  This guy could very well develop into another "Big Ben" type of QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Both new QB's are better than Driskel so overall a huge upgrade from last season. You can NEVER have enough good players or prospects. Our DL is proof of that.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:07 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Most important position in sports. No brainer to me. No point risking losing him just to keep a 6th or 7th WR. Even if he doesn't see the field it’s a smart move for the future of the franchise.

Holding the clipboard as back-up QB?
Reply/Quote
I think he earned a spot and like his upside. Hopefully, he will never see the field in 2019 due our QB staying healthy and getting us back to the playoffs
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I like the decision to keep Dolegala.Put him with a decent Oline,and he’ll be fine.I like the way he can just come in off the bench and just fire away.Seems to be fearless.I don’t recall any batted balls, or interceptions,But I’m not sure.Anyways I think he’s very talented.
Reply/Quote
I would not be surprised if he were only on the 53 for 1 day
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would not be surprised if he were only on the 53 for 1 day

It comes down to how much they value him, really. If they feel he has a real shot and they don't want to expose him, they'll keep him on the 53. 

That's the way it looks, at least right now. 

Reply/Quote
Up until what last 12 years or so nearly every NFL team kept 3 QB's, some still do. You're rolling the dice a bit in only keeping 2.

Who knows what they've got in mind moving forward ? But I'm not so sure they're gonna keep an UDFA on the roster as trade bait ? Trades in the NFL are like hens teeth.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 01:17 PM)pally Wrote: He likely wouldn't have made it through waivers to make the practice squad

I agree.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would not be surprised if he were only on the 53 for 1 day

Remember last year when MJ got cut and everybody was thinking wow ML and co. are finally stepping up into the modern NFL and cutting the dead wood. Then he was back the next day and went on to underperform........ well that's another story.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not just the arm.  Jake has the poise, field awareness and other intangibles that most good QBs possess.  With our coach being a former QB, and QB coach, he likely sees other little nuances that we do not.  Not to mention, the dude is huge!  6'7", with a strong arm, and can move a bit.  This guy could very well develop into another "Big Ben" type of QB.

Tongue 
[Image: th?id=OIP.h7OkwfiwakmnNteqLOeEgQHaFj&pid...=231&h=174]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 06:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Remember last year when MJ got cut and everybody was thinking wow ML and co. are finally stepping up into the modern NFL and cutting the dead wood. Then he was back the next day and went on to underperform........ well that's another story.

Definitely can't have enough of "It's Marvin's fault" threads.. Hey, I defended Marv up until it became impossible..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I can understand people not being thrilled with carrying 3 QBs into the season, but looking at the list of cuts they made I don't see a single guy that I would've rather given Jake's spot to, so I'm fine with it. I also think it's a good message for a young coach to send his team - we're keeping the 53 best players we have, period.

Now chances are they will make another pickup or two over the next few days (OL and LB?) so he could still end up on the outside looking in when it all shakes out, but I'm still happy for the guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 12:42 PM)milksheikh Wrote: According to a report, Dolegala has made the 53 and the Bengals have just cut Cody Core...

Interesting to keep 3 QBs...

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/1167823996588560385?s=20

Dolegala had value unlike a 6th LB or 10th OL guy
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Now that we have 3 QBs on the roster it is time to start with the wild rumors that Dalton is on the trading block.
Been there done that already.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 08:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Been there done that already.

Yea, but now it's like...more possible, and stuff.
Reply/Quote