Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Elliott
Now he is 80%, he is 7 for 7 extra points. Only misses were 30 yards and 52 yards. He is 5 for 5 from 40 to 49 and 2 for 3 over 50 with a 61 yard game winner last week.

I said it when we chose Bullock, big mistake as Elliott had more upside. He is already as a rookie proving it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 12:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Now he is 80%, he is 7 for 7 extra points. Only misses were 30 yards and 52 yards. He is 5 for 5 from 40 to 49 and 2 for 3 over 50 with a 61 yard game winner last week.

I said it when we chose Bullock, big mistake as Elliott had more upside. He is already as a rookie proving it.

Many of us wanted him even though he lost the preseason competition. 

Just do not see throwing a 5th round pick away like that on a kicker.

Plus it was obvious his potential and was clearly the best at kickoffs.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 12:49 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Many of us wanted him even though he lost the preseason competition. 

Just do not see throwing a 5th round pick away like that on a kicker. 

We threw it away by not cutting Bullock he day after the draft. My point is in the end, we will regret this decision. How many rookies hit 60 yard field goals? None, Jake is the record holder for rookies already.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm sure if the coaches knew we'd be 0-3 coming into this game we would have kept Elliot.

But it was a competition and the better kicker in the competition won.
Reply/Quote
Hindsight is 20/20. If we would've stuck with Elliot despite Bullock being the clear winner of the training camp/preseason battle, the "Brown won't cut draft picks" mantra would have been in the full force. Elliot looked like a disaster and we clearly weren't willing to risk a season on him. Cant blame the coaches or FO for this one (how often do we get to say that? Lol)
Reply/Quote
Am I missing something? Our guy is 5-6/6-6 this year.

Bullock has been fantastic, and he's capable of kicking for 10 more years at least (he's only 27).

I feel like people are hung up on the fact that Elliot was a 5th round pick. So what? Bullock was also a 5th round pick. Who cares as long as we have a good kicker, and Bullock has been great for us. I'd understand the regret if Bullock was shanking a bunch of kicks and Elliot has an amazing rookie year. That hasn't been the case, so I don't see what all the hand wringing is about.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 01:34 AM)treee Wrote: Hindsight is 20/20. If we would've stuck with Elliot despite Bullock being the clear winner of the training camp/preseason battle, the "Brown won't cut draft picks" mantra would have been in the full force. Elliot looked like a disaster and we clearly weren't willing to risk a season on him. Cant blame the coaches or FO for this one (how often do we get to say that? Lol)

This  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 01:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Am I missing something? Our guy is 5-6/6-6 this year.

Bullock has been fantastic, and he's capable of kicking for 10 more years at least (he's only 27).

I feel like people are hung up on the fact that Elliot was a 5th round pick. So what? Bullock was also a 5th round pick. Who cares as long as we have a good kicker, and Bullock has been great for us. I'd understand the regret if Bullock was shanking a bunch of kicks and Elliot has an amazing rookie year. That hasn't been the case, so I don't see what all the hand wringing is about.

But dat 61-yard field goal doe  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Ugh were beating a dead horse. I for one wish we would have kept Elliot, I think the kid is only going to improve, but whats done is done and lets move on. Stop bringing up the Elliot v Bullock debate every week.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Yep. I agree.

But getting a weekly update about him is not going to change anything. Let's just move on.
Reply/Quote
I laughed when Gonzalez missed the 44 yarder for Cleveland yesterday, because everyone was so mad we took Elliott over him...now he is getting his own threads.

I wanted Elliott as well, because of the way their balls look in the air (that's what she said). Something about Elliott's are higher and straighter. Also, I like the idea of having a younger guy with a thunder leg that will only get stronger. No offense to Fat Randy, but I will be worrying all offseason if this guy spends too much of his paycheck at Golden Corral and becomes the first 300 lb kicker.

Regardless, for the time being, Randy is performing well (but that miss at GB really hurts) and is our kicker for now so I will support him.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the idea that Elliott had more upside. But, how many times do we listen to people here complain that "there is never any competition for spots"..... and when there is, now the complaints that the winner of the competition is chosen are in abundance. I also seem to remember a lot of complaints about Elliott not having enough leg strength and we should pick Bullock due to that. It's ridiculous, pick a side and stick to it. Do you want competition for spots, or do you want to stick with draft picks.
Reply/Quote
The guy isnt on the team anymore. Who cares, let it go man.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
There's only one person to blame for Jake Elliott no longer being a Bengal and that is Jake Elliott.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:27 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The guy isnt on the team anymore. Who cares, let it go man.

But yey..he gets to play for other teams and a chance for a ring..
That's always the line towards former bengals..
I agree..he's not a Bengal. I hope he gets the worse case of jungle rot ever. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He's not a Bengal. End of story. Seems like a perfect thread for Around the NFL and totally out of place in JN.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
For me, it is and always has been #AnyoneButNugent
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree with the idea that Elliott had more upside. But, how many times do we listen to people here complain that "there is never and competition for spots"..... and when there is, now the complaints that the winner of the competition is chosen are in abundance. I also seem to remember a lot of complaints about Elliott not having enough leg strength and we should pick Bullock due to that. It's ridiculous, pick a side and stick to it. Do you want competition for spots, or do you want to stick with draft picks.

This sums it up pretty well.  I mean, I was all for Elliott, but he lost the competition, which is what we have been clamoring for for a long time.  Bullock won that competition, that's all there is to it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There's only one person to blame for Jake Elliott no longer being a Bengal and that is Jake Elliott.

Bingo.

The man struggled here, lost the kicker competition outright, and was rightfully cut as a result. 

Elliott is now famous for hitting a 61-yard game winner and yes, that's nothing to scoff at. But he's also missed a few kicks for philly as well. Let's see how Elliott's entire body of work looks after one season. Whether or not Elliott becomes one of the best kickers in NFL history, it's his own fault he's not a Bengal. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: This sums it up pretty well.  I mean, I was all for Elliott, but he lost the competition, which is what we have been clamoring for for a long time.  Bullock won that competition, that's all there is to it.

Yeah - If you have a competition you have to go with the winner. You can't be like 'You lost...but we're keeping you because you were a draft pick.' That undermines the team.
Reply/Quote