Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Elliott now an eagle
I stand by my prediction Elliott becomes a great kicker while Bullock continues to be average and miss clutch kicks. I understand the decision to take him over Elliott as the best short term solution, but feel we live to regret it long term
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Shit...

That is all I can say here....this move will come back to bite us in the ass sooner rather than later.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Damn...

So as far as kickers, who's coming out of college next year? If at first you don't succeed, try try again... Or something like that.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:06 PM)Millhouse Wrote: But they WILL win though.  Mellow

Well, yeah. Bullock will miss a potential game winner which then forces us into overtime in which Erickson takes the opening kickoff back for a TD to win the game. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I stand by my prediction Elliott becomes a great kicker while Bullock continues to be average and miss clutch kicks. I understand the decision to take him over Elliott as the best short term solution, but feel we live to regret it long term

This is what I'm always trying to say, but I haven't said it as well as this.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:26 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Damn...

So as far as kickers, who's coming out of college next year? If at first you don't succeed, try try again... Or something like that.

Just make sure that kicker is used to kicking in an environment similar to Cincinnati's.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I have always thought he was going to do well and I'm not surprised he's gone.  I'm rooting for him.  I think he got a raw deal with the Bengals and has the potential to be really great. 

How in the world did he get a raw deal? It was the most straight forward competition in camp and he lost.  The only reason there was any discussion over keeping him over Bullock was beause Elliott was a draft pick.

1)Randy Bullock was already on the roster when he was drafted 
2) he was told from day 1 it was a competition
3) he performed worse in practice
4) he performed worse during games
5) when he lost the competition he was released BUT still signed to the practice squad (which meant no other team wanted him on their active squad)
6) now he is getting a chance on another team

Where in that narrative is he getting a raw deal?  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I think Bullock being a journeyman makes it seem like a raw deal. In reality he lost a fair competition.

Also...the fact that we didn't draft Gonzalez.

No other way to slice it - Elliott was a bad pick. Gonzalez would have been a better pick. A LOT of us said it at the time. Some fans think every move this team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years does is a great move.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Bullock being a journeyman makes it seem like a raw deal. In reality he lost a fair competition.

Also...the fact that we didn't draft Gonzalez.

No other way to slice it - Elliott was a bad pick. Gonzalez would have been a better pick. A LOT of us said it at the time. Some fans think every move this team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years does is a great move.

The undrafted kid the Chargers took would have probably beat Bullock out, Younghoe Koo, who was born in South Korea. He was 3/3 on xp last night, and made the first field goal to tie the game. But Broncos called a timeout, and the second kick got blocked cause their rg got pushed back. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Why does anyone think Elliot will be a great NFL kicker? He wasnt great in college as he wasnt even good at mid-range, and is physically small even by kicker standards. Is it because the Bengals overrated him by taking him in the 5th round? I dont get it. But hey, like all rookies and undrafted players, maybe there is a chance he will get better to be a great one in the pros.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 02:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's now literally an eagle? That's a bold life choice. Ninja

Bigot.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 05:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Why does anyone think Elliot will be a great NFL kicker? He wasnt great in college as he wasnt even good at mid-range, and is physically small even by kicker standards. Is it because the Bengals overrated him by taking him in the 5th round? I dont get it.  But hey, like all rookies and undrafted players, maybe there is a chance he will get better to be a great one in the pros.

He broke Stephen Gostkowski's records in college.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:48 PM)pally Wrote: How in the world did he get a raw deal? It was the most straight forward competition in camp and he lost.  The only reason there was any discussion over keeping him over Bullock was beause Elliott was a draft pick.

1)Randy Bullock was already on the roster when he was drafted 
2) he was told from day 1 it was a competition
3) he performed worse in practice
4) he performed worse during games
5) when he lost the competition he was released BUT still signed to the practice squad (which meant no other team wanted him on their active squad)
6) now he is getting a chance on another team

Where in that narrative is he getting a raw deal?  

Bullock is average to below average kicker with a history of choking on game winners.  Elliott has potential or the Bengals would never have put him on their practice squad. And he didn't last long there before he was picked up.  I think they should have been working with him all camp and getting him used to the NFL instead of wasting time on a competition with an average kicker who chokes in big games.  Instead the Eagles may find out Elliott's true potential.  He broke Stephen Gostkowski's records in college and Gostkowski is a great kicker. The bottom line is we are going to end up suffering through losses again because a kicker can't make the kick under pressure in a game winning situation. Haven't we done that enough? Sure Elliott missed some kicks in pre season but he is new and I'd rather take the rookie with potential over the same old, same old, loser Bengal kicker. But of course we picked the loser and we will suffer for it.
Reply/Quote
For a kicker competition is training them for game situations. If he couldn't make the kicks in practice and couldn't make the kicks in games that don't count...what in the world makes you think things would suddenly change in the regular season. You don't win games with a kicker who has potential but misses. We kept the kicker who outplayed the other

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
wishing Elliot does well....
philly is a rough sports town....
they even bood & threw snowballs at Santa
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 02:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Best of luck to him. Hope he kicks well and shows the Bengals they were stupid to let him walk.
But to be fair, we never did get to see Bullock in action in the regular season yet, so maybe the Bengals won't regret the decision.

I love to rag on the Bengals' FO moves BUT as bad as the kid was and as good as he might be they can't be stupid for letting him go.  The dude just straight up couldn't kick FG's while he was here.
Reply/Quote
I swear Bengals fans have to be some of the most negative MFers in the world. All I heard during the off season was how Elliott was a wasted 5th round pick. Now that he got picked up, he was going to be an all world PK and we screwed up by putting him on the practice squad where other teams could claim him. Some people simply are not happy unless they can spread misery.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 06:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I love to rag on the Bengals' FO moves BUT as bad as the kid was and as good as he might be they can't be stupid for letting him go.  The dude just straight up couldn't kick FG's while he was here.

Correct, and I agree that the Bengals did the right thing to let him go.  However, the irony in all of this, in a game called football, why are reliable kickers so hard to come by?  At least for the Bengals, anyway..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Best wishes to him unless he is playing us.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Don't worry Elliott fans, we'll see him again.  In about 14 years, when he's a washed up has-been, our GM (Katie's oldest daughter) will sign him for a song. And he'll live out the final days of his professional career shanking kicks in a mostly empty PBS. The circle will be complete.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote