Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Elliott now an eagle
(09-12-2017, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I stand by my prediction Elliott becomes a great kicker while Bullock continues to be average and miss clutch kicks. I understand the decision to take him over Elliott as the best short term solution, but feel we live to regret it long term

The irony is the team should've been looking into a long term solution at kicker, not short term.

Not sure how this year was deemed as 'win now' when we are now one of the youngest teams and lost more key veteran starters.

To me, the Bullock over Elliot decision would make much more sense in a 2014/2015 scenario.

Hopefully Bullock does well this year, but I do hope we get a young kicker next year to move forward with.
Reply/Quote
sigh
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 05:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The undrafted kid the Chargers took would have probably beat Bullock out, Younghoe Koo, who was born in South Korea. He was 3/3 on xp last night, and made the first field goal to tie the game. But Broncos called a timeout, and the second kick got blocked cause their rg got pushed back. 

It's hard to beat younghoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 05:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bigot.

Hey, I am not saying I don't respect the life choice, I have a friend who's an eagle... I am just saying I don't want him in my bathroom.    Ninja  Hilarious

Yeah, probably should end that there before I get banished to P&R. Lol

- - - - - - - - - -
Back to the main topic:

I think there's way too much hand wringing going on about Elliott. If he wasn't a draft pick and he had performed the exact same way he had in practice/preseason, people would be celebrating him leaving and laughing at any team that took him. It would be like when the Reds DFA'd Blake Wood, and the Angels ended up claiming him. Lots of laughs were had in Cincinnati.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think people here are just nervous about the fact that Elliot may go on to be an amazing kicker or something. There are kickers who were drafted way higher that turned out to be a bust, but some who weren't drafted at all that turned out to be excellent. At the end of the day they had to choose one. It'll be interesting to see Bullock and how he performs for us this year as well as Elliot for the Eagles.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 08:45 AM)Takedown Wrote: I think people here are just nervous about the fact that Elliot may go on to be an amazing kicker or something. There are kickers who were drafted way higher that turned out to be a bust, but some who weren't drafted at all that turned out to be excellent. At the end of the day they had to choose one. It'll be interesting to see Bullock and how he performs for us this year as well as Elliot for the Eagles.

Probably the same people who were heartbroken when Dezmon Briscoe got snatched off the Bengals PS.

Who's even the last Bengal who was put on the PS and ended up being a good starter? Has there ever even been any? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 06:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I love to rag on the Bengals' FO moves BUT as bad as the kid was and as good as he might be they can't be stupid for letting him go.  The dude just straight up couldn't kick FG's while he was here.

Fair enough. Maybe he shouldn't have been kept over Bullock, but if there was a chance that a kicker could get unseated by a veteran, don't take a kicker in the 5th round. Wait until the 6th or 7th and use the 5th rounder on another position. Regardless, I hope he does well, that's all I was really trying to say. The part about making the Bengals look stupid for letting him go was just that maybe he'll have a chip on his shoulder for the Bengals not having faith in him over a veteran and want to show that they made the wrong decision.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kind of surprised Philly wanted him after his poor practice this Preseason.

He does have talent but it will probably take a bit for him to gain accuracy.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 09:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair enough. Maybe he shouldn't have been kept over Bullock, but if there was a chance that a kicker could get unseated by a veteran, don't take a kicker in the 5th round. Wait until the 6th or 7th and use the 5th rounder on another position. Regardless, I hope he does well, that's all I was really trying to say. The part about making the Bengals look stupid for letting him go was just that maybe he'll have a chip on his shoulder for the Bengals not having faith in him over a veteran and want to show that they made the wrong decision.

I understand Elliot could be good/great but you can't blame the Bengals for taking the kicker who is better at kicking.  Even if Elliot becomes a great kicker you can't honestly fault the Bengals for looking at his performance and thinking "Ehh, can't really kick" because he didn't show an ability to kick field goals.

It's like not really blaming the Falcons for trading Brett Favre for a 1st round pick.  Sure, he went on to be one of the GOATS, but when they got rid of him he was even worse than Johnny Manziel and showed nothing good on or off the field.  Fear of missing out can lead to some unwise decisions and guys like Favre and Brady are going to be held up as proof that you can't give up on anyone ever ever ever.

It's different too because Elliot was in stripes and actively passed over for a ho-hum veteran.  I don't see anyone saying we should sign Roberto Agyuo in case he gets it together and becomes amazing.  We aren't afraid of missing out on him because we never made an active choice to let him go.  Oh, the psychology of sports fandom!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I stand by my prediction Elliott becomes a great kicker while Bullock continues to be average and miss clutch kicks. I understand the decision to take him over Elliott as the best short term solution, but feel we live to regret it long term

Based on what?   What have you seen in Elliott that u think he will be great?   That is just silly , its stupid really. He wasnt good on college n stunk up the place too.   I bet u think Ogbuehi will be great too, based on how athletic he is.   N he worked out with Jay Glazer.  Fml
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 09:13 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Probably the same people who were heartbroken when Dezmon Briscoe got snatched off the Bengals PS.

Who's even the last Bengal who was put on the PS and ended up being a good starter? Has there ever even been any? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Clinton McDonald? Wasn't he on the ps and got signed away? Had some good years in Seattle and I think he's with Tampa bay now. He has the added distinction of being one of, if not the best, comp picks I believe.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 12:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I understand Elliot could be good/great but you can't blame the Bengals for taking the kicker who is better at kicking.  Even if Elliot becomes a great kicker you can't honestly fault the Bengals for looking at his performance and thinking "Ehh, can't really kick" because he didn't show an ability to kick field goals.

It's like not really blaming the Falcons for trading Brett Favre for a 1st round pick.  Sure, he went on to be one of the GOATS, but when they got rid of him he was even worse than Johnny Manziel and showed nothing good on or off the field.  Fear of missing out can lead to some unwise decisions and guys like Favre and Brady are going to be held up as proof that you can't give up on anyone ever ever ever.

It's different too because Elliot was in stripes and actively passed over for a ho-hum veteran.  I don't see anyone saying we should sign Roberto Agyuo in case he gets it together and becomes amazing.  We aren't afraid of missing out on him because we never made an active choice to let him go.  Oh, the psychology of sports fandom!

I'm not blaming the Bengals though, that's what I'm trying to say. I just hope he turns out to be a really good kicker.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 01:11 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Clinton McDonald? Wasn't he on the ps and got signed away? Had some good years in Seattle and I think he's with Tampa bay now. He has the added distinction of being one of, if not the best, comp picks I believe.
Was on PS in '09, active roster in '10.

Traded early '11 for Kelly Jennings, because we needed CBs, with Adam not being ready for opening day.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 02:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That frees up a practice squad spot.

Then it was a STUPID DRAFT PICK.   We had all those picks from round 3 through round 4 and into round 5.  We NEEDED O Line help and good O Line talent was on the board.  Bengals who took WR and RB early kept passing on O Linemen after just losing Whitworth and Zeitler.  I think 3 picks in round 4 and they passed over good O Lineman each pick.   Then came early 5 and still some round 3 or 4 blockers.  Bengals took this kicker too early but all fans said a great move.  Yes, real great. We passed on much needed O line blocking and took a kicker so early in 5 almost a 4th round pick, and he will never play a regular season game for us.  He will never make one extra point or field goal here.  A team that needed to draft blocking instead drafted a kicker way too early and few months later cut him.  That was a STUPID draft pick and a total waste of that position in the draft.  There were still good players on the board when they went high for this kicker they just cut.  Another case of Bengals Front Office just really STUPID. 

So Bengals pretty much just gave that top draft pick in 5, almost a round 4, just gave that pick to Philly. In the end, we basically gave that draft slot to Philly for nothing. Real smart. and we wonder why this front office hasn't won a play-off game since Paul Brown died.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I wanted Elliot. Bullock curve ball kick is going to hurt come winter/winds. Plus there were a few chubby kickers in history, but they were born talented, chubbiness shows some laziness...
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 02:10 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I wanted Elliot. Bullock curve ball kick is going to hurt come winter/winds. Plus there were a few chubby kickers in history, but they were born talented, chubbiness shows some laziness...

You know else was chubby? Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth was chubby.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
so far it looks like we made the right call at kicker

Elliot not looking good

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Elliott 1/2 in 1st half. Made from 34. Missed a 30 yard fg.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 03:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You know else was chubby? Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth was chubby.

Mellow

Janikowski is chubby and will probably make the HOF. 

Honestly, the only people who gaf about that are those that wanted Elliott and can't bash Bullock for missing kicks. 

So they bring up weight and that "his kicks have a curve". Weak stuff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Elliott will be a real estate agent before the season is over
Reply/Quote