Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Fisher changes number and position
(12-31-2015, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I know it's a numbers thing, but I think it's finally time to admit mistake with some of these DL they have flooding their roster. They have five who are struggling to even be active.

Will Clarke: 12 games, 0 starts, 3 solo tackles, 1 ast tackle, 0.5 sacks, 1 Pdef
Brandon Thompson: 8 games, 0 starts, 3 solo tackles, 4 ast tackls, 0.5 sacks
Pat Sims: 8 games, 0 starts, 4 solo tackles, 12 ast tackles
Margus Hunt: 6 games, 0 starts, 1 solo tackle, 1 ast tackle
Marcus Hardison: 0 games

That's the sadest group of statlines for a position I have ever seen. I saw a drive where the Broncos did a hurry up offense while the Bengals had Hunt, Thompson, Sims, and Johnson out there for the DL. Guess what? They had all day to throw. The "rotation" only works if over half of it doesn't suck. Lol

Swap one of those guys out for a true FB. You really won't be missing much. (EDIT: A good slot WR wouldn't hurt either. Need a chain mover other than Bernard.)

We've swung and missed on some high draft picks on the line. But you can't expect big stats from guys 3rd, 4th, 5th on the depth chart.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 08:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: We've swung and missed on some high draft picks on the line. But you can't expect big stats from guys 3rd, 4th, 5th on the depth chart.

That's kind of my point though. If you've missed on them, or they're so buried on the depth chart that they can't help, why have them? Get someone at a different position who CAN help, like a returner who doesn't run backwards. Or maybe a second kicker so Mike Brown gets to keep Nugent, but Nugent doesn't have to actually... kick... anymore.

There's no need for 10 DL when only 5 of them are NFL-caliber talent.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He could fill the role we've tried to get Peko to fill for a while now.

Big man who can move and run block.

I wonder if he'll encounter the same problem as Peko in that he couldn't actually fit into the holes opened up by the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 05:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This tells me that Hewitt's injury is really serious. It also tells me that the coaches won't try to implement Uzomah back at H-back, which is a good thing.

Good luck Fisher. Don't become a Dan Coats.

I was thinking the same thing about Hewitt.  I wonder if they'll put him on IR soon.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 05:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ogbhuei will be at RT next year and when either Whit is done or Fisher is ready.   He will bump to Left.

I agree, but why not start now?  Smith is playing poorly.  Why keep starting him in the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 05:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And had 4 more ill advised red zone passes thrown his way that turned out poorly and could have been thrown at AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Giovani Bernard, or Tyler Eifert... you know, real position players with real hands/routes. The only of his 5 targets he caught was the one where he was entirely uncovered.

Which is when this play works when it's a surprise and he's uncovered. When you run it every game it loses it's surprise element and every team we play is looking for it.
Reply/Quote
Wow. Had no idea he was this huge. "The Bengals list Fisher at 6’6, 306"
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 05:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This tells me that Hewitt's injury is really serious. It also tells me that the coaches won't try to implement Uzomah back at H-back, which is a good thing.

Good luck Fisher. Don't become a Dan Coats.

(12-31-2015, 05:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hes already caught a pass.
LMAO
(12-31-2015, 05:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And had 4 more ill advised red zone passes thrown his way that turned out poorly and could have been thrown at AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Giovani Bernard, or Tyler Eifert... you know, real position players with real hands/routes. The only of his 5 targets he caught was the one where he was entirely uncovered.
Um...  I think that was supposed to be a joke TLL. Mellow

I get what you're saying though.  It's probably more a case for run blocking than catching passes.  At least let's hope so...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 05:02 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: So is he allowed to line up at tackle? Is there such thing as reporting as ineligible? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Well sort of.  He can line up on the end of the line and not be covered.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 09:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Which is when this play works when it's a surprise and he's uncovered. When you run it every game it loses it's surprise element and every team we play is looking for it.

Yep.  I think it's lost it's effectiveness because we've used it too often.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 11:12 AM)Whacked Wrote: Wow. Had no idea he was this huge. "The Bengals list Fisher at 6’6, 306"

How big do you think most OTs are? :s
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
For some reason Im not as excited about this as others, I feel like we are downgrading one of our potential stud lineman to be a fullback?

I realize this is temporary but I would think Uzomah could do the same thing and also has better hands when needed.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I know it's a numbers thing, but I think it's finally time to admit mistake with some of these DL they have flooding their roster. They have five who are struggling to even be active.

Will Clarke: 12 games, 0 starts, 3 solo tackles, 1 ast tackle, 0.5 sacks, 1 Pdef
Brandon Thompson: 8 games, 0 starts, 3 solo tackles, 4 ast tackls, 0.5 sacks
Pat Sims: 8 games, 0 starts, 4 solo tackles, 12 ast tackles
Margus Hunt: 6 games, 0 starts, 1 solo tackle, 1 ast tackle
Marcus Hardison: 0 games

That's the sadest group of statlines for a position I have ever seen. I saw a drive where the Broncos did a hurry up offense while the Bengals had Hunt, Thompson, Sims, and Johnson out there for the DL. Guess what? They had all day to throw. The "rotation" only works if over half of it doesn't suck. Lol

Swap one of those guys out for a true FB. You really won't be missing much. (EDIT: A good slot WR wouldn't hurt either. Need a chain mover other than Bernard.)

we trimmed some "fat" when we let Mr Still go but as you clearly point out there are still a lot more not pulling their weight.. 
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 04:47 PM)corpjet Wrote: For some reason Im not as excited about this as others, I feel like we are downgrading one of our potential stud lineman to be a fullback?

I realize this is temporary but I would think Uzomah could do the same thing and also has better hands when needed.

Fisher has a lot more game experience and you can use him in more ways, more effectively, than Uzomah.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Sounds like a solid idea in theory. He is a good athlete so it could end up being a very savy move. I like it!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 04:47 PM)corpjet Wrote: For some reason Im not as excited about this as others, I feel like we are downgrading one of our potential stud lineman to be a fullback?

Uzomah proved last week he was not the guy for the job....yet. He was consistently missing lead blocks, which was part of the reason for the drop off in the run game. And he missed blitz pickups and stunts in protection. On top of that, he was never asked to block at Auburn, so he has very little experience at it. On the other hand, Fisher, as a lineman, knows all about recognizing stunts and blitzes since he has had to read them as a lineman. He also knows all about run blocking. Imagine as a Lb, trying to fill the hole and being met by him instead of a fullback. Plus with him staying in in protection packages, he may just give McCarron that extra second he needs to read the D in their zone coverages. On top of it all, Fisher has played TE and has decent hands in case they need to dump the ball to him or run a seam route. I think its the perfect solution until Hewitt gets back. Plus Ogbuehi can fill the extra lineman spot in the jumbo package now, so we are good to go there too.
Reply/Quote
So according to reports, Hewitt has an MCL sprain. That's what Michael Johnson had at the start of the season and cost him 4 weeks so I'm not sure why the reports are saying Hewitt may be available for the playoffs. Maybe they're keeping him off IR in case he can get back in time for the Super Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 05:27 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: So according to reports, Hewitt has an MCL sprain.  That's what Michael Johnson had at the start of the season and cost him 4 weeks so I'm not sure why the reports are saying Hewitt may be available for the playoffs.  Maybe they're keeping him off IR in case he can get back in time for the Super Bowl?

The question is, the severity of the sprain. I doubt the staff would keep him on the active roster if he was going to be out 4+ weeks.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 05:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Eligibility is number based. That's why they changed his number to 44. Now he doesn't have to tell the ref every time he lines up as eligible.

(12-31-2015, 05:58 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: The real question is what happens if we need him to play some tackle. After the Pats and Ravens game last year I think there are new rules regarding eligible positions reporting as ineligible?

Anyone knows what the deal is?

Eligibility is both number- and position-based.  See Rule 8, Section 2, Articles 5-6 of the NFL rulebook: http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook/

Basically, there are rules saying eligible positions are the two players on the ends of the line of scrimmage (who may be split wide) and any player lined up at least a yard behind the line.  Also, any player in an eligible position must either be wearing an eligible jersey number or report as eligible to the officials before the play, and any player in an ineligible position must be wearing an ineligible jersey number or report as ineligible to the officials before the play.

Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2 requires a player who changes positions during his career to update his jersey number (with some exceptions), which is why the Bengals had to change Fisher's jersey number for as long as he's an H-back rather than a lineman.

I believe if Fisher had to go in for an injured offensive lineman, he could do it wearing 44 as long as he reported ineligible to the referees before every single play.  But somebody else can scour the rulebook to either confirm or refute that statement.
Reply/Quote
Pregame

[Image: CXz682UWEAA63xs.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote