Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Fisher-converting to TE
The original threads were accidentally deleted when being merged so lets try again

Jake Fisher apparently is giving up on the idea of being an OL in the NFL. He has dropped weight and is working with QBs in order to become a blocking TE. Hue put him in multiple tackle eligible situations his rookie year and he did play several games in that hybrid blocking TE/fullback role

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I think it's good for Fisher that he accepts that he really isn't a serviceable NFL lineman. 

Interested to see if he can make the transition.
Reply/Quote
Bust.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Ogbuehi should follow suit.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:28 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Ogbuehi should follow suit.

He'd just let the ball go through his hands like he let defensive ends go through his body. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep, that's a BUST in the 2nd round. At least he's smart enough or humble enough to see that OT was not his gig.

I don't even know how Fisher held onto a roster spot last season. That spot could have been used for someone who could play a position.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 01:48 PM)pally Wrote: The original threads were accidentally deleted when being merged so lets try again

Jake Fisher apparently is giving up on the idea of being an OL in the NFL. He has dropped weight and is working with QBs in order to become a blocking TE. Hue put him in multiple tackle eligible situations his rookie year and he did play several games in that hybrid blocking TE/fullback role

I might be in the minority but i always liked Fish and i hope he succeeds in this fashion, he may not be an ideal OT but he is very versatile and he can catch. He would be one hell of a blocking TE being as he has had to block as an OT so much. The heart problem has kept me from judging his play on the field. Who can say how good he could of been without it?

I just hope the heart problem is behind him. He will have to run a lot more as a TE.
Reply/Quote
Maybe this explains the positive comments Turner has for Hart. His options are a busted 1st rounder, a guy dropping weight to play TE or a 300lb tackle in Hart. Even if he is not a good one he must look like Munoz next to OG and the future overside Gronk.
Reply/Quote
OoogeyBoogey should transition into a swinging screen door.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I’m willing to see what he has. Did some nice things in that role his rookie year. Maybe even drop some more weight, 270, actually get some route running speed.
Reply/Quote
If Fisher is healthy and can still run, he would be like Uzi.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bust.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I might be in the minority but i always liked Fish and i hope he succeeds in this fashion, he may not be an ideal OT but he is very versatile and he can catch. He would be one hell of a blocking TE being as he has had to block as an OT so much. The heart problem has kept me from judging his play on the field. Who can say how good he could of been without it?

I just hope the heart problem is behind him. He will have to run a lot more as a TE.

Do we know he can catch?

Some of the TE's we put out there like Lengel were smaller and really weren't good receivers.
Reply/Quote
I think the best part of this is the coaches are cleansing the roster of busts.

They will move Fisher to TE and probably either use him as the 3rd TE or waive him. Really we have no TE's on the roster.

The rumor about trying to trade Ross and now this....
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 03:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m willing to see what he has. Did some nice things in that role his rookie year. Maybe even drop some more weight, 270, actually get some route running speed.

The problem with it is it basically signals he's going to block. He's not going to be a viable pass catching threat and he'd likely be easy for a LB to cover because he's really slow. Even it 270 he'd be slow.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know he can catch?

Some of the TE's we put out there like Lengel were smaller and really weren't good receivers.

Well he caught the one pass i saw thrown to him and i believe he played TE in High School.

Catches with his hands and not his body....

He would be primarily a blocking TE but if he loses enough weight he is a big buff dude and would be tough to bring down.

I could see him being efficient on middle TE screens. Doubt he will be fast no matter how much weight he loses though.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well he caught the one pass i saw thrown to him and i believe he played TE in High School.

Catches with his hands and not his body....

He would be primarily a blocking TE but if he loses enough weight he is a big buff dude and would be tough to bring down.

I could see him being efficient on middle TE screens. Doubt he will be fast no matter how much weight he loses though.

I just see us bring in these blocking TE's all the time and while they probably catch at a high level compared to the average human, it seems like they're easy to defend in the NFL and can't figure out ways to get open.

But, maybe he helps us in the run game a lot and protects Dalton.

Honestly, we likely can't fix our line in 1 year...so 6 lineman may be the way to go.

I don't know that I can name a team that does that a lot though.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just see us bring in these blocking TE's all the time and while they probably catch at a high level compared to the average human, it seems like they're easy to defend in the NFL and can't figure out ways to get open.

But, maybe he helps us in the run game a lot and protects Dalton.

Honestly, we likely can't fix our line in 1 year...so 6 lineman may be the way to go.

I don't know that I can name a team that does that a lot though.

It is not a bad idea to have a jumbo package at times.

I am starting to really lean on taking Hockenson at 11 if we get a LB and O-lineman in FA and White is gone.
Reply/Quote
B
U
S
T
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is not a bad idea to have a jumbo package at times.

I am starting to really lean on taking Hockenson at 11 if we get a LB and O-lineman in FA and White is gone.

I haven't seen much about that prospect.

I think we have similar strategies though. I will say that RT is VERY THIN in free agency. I think there's like a 75% chance our 1st Round pick is a Tackle.

Now, we have to sign Jordan Hicks or LJ Fort at LB. But we still need 2 LB's.
Reply/Quote