Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jason La Canfora picks Bengals for an ugly season.
(08-29-2021, 11:42 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Career or this season?  Hilarious

Fair question.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
That's probly to be expected.

When media are making these kinds of lists, the most predictive way to do it is to ask two questions:
1- What was the reason a team did good/bad last year?
2- Did the team maintain/fix that?

Using the Chiefs:
1- Balance; good output from skills positions/Depth at OL; penalties
2- Yes; maybe improved/Yes; probly not

So barring aberrations, if you're trying to safely predict if the Chiefs will have a good year in 2021, they most likely will as they maintained their strengths and improved at least one major area of need.

When you are trying to do that for 32 team working off general knowledge, that's the safest and most consistent way of doing it.

If you apply that to the Bengals:
1- Passing game/Lack of OL; lack of depth at multiple positions
2- Yes/No; no

So if they didn't improve the negatives, even though they maintained or improved the positives, then your best bet if you're predicting the 2021 season is: 'bout the same as 2020.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 12:18 PM)Benton Wrote: That's probly to be expected.

When media are making these kinds of lists, the most predictive way to do it is to ask two questions:
1- What was the reason a team did good/bad last year?
2- Did the team maintain/fix that?

Using the Chiefs:
1- Balance; good output from skills positions/Depth at OL; penalties
2- Yes; maybe improved/Yes; probly not

So barring aberrations, if you're trying to safely predict if the Chiefs will have a good year in 2021, they most likely will as they maintained their strengths and improved at least one major area of need.

When you are trying to do that for 32 team working off general knowledge, that's the safest and most consistent way of doing it.

If you apply that to the Bengals:
1- Passing game/Lack of OL; lack of depth at multiple positions
2- Yes/No; no

So if they didn't improve the negatives, even though they maintained or improved the positives, then your best bet if you're predicting the 2021 season is: 'bout the same as 2020.

Well, so far the pre season would suggest they have fixed the pass blocking of the oline. We played the top 2 defensive fronts in the league and they hardly sniffed the QB, albeit the run game still seems to be in flux. We are tons deeper at CB this year than we were last year. Same on the D line. LBers, which were a liability last year, are looking much better. Not sure how you can say we didn't improve the negatives. The play so far suggests we have.
Reply/Quote
I remember 1 year when Prisco predicted we would win super bowl. We didnt even make playoffs that season.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 12:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, so far the pre season would suggest they have fixed the pass blocking of the oline. We played the top 2 defensive fronts in the league and they hardly sniffed the QB, albeit the run game still seems to be in flux. We are tons deeper at CB this year than we were last year. Same on the D line. LBers, which were a liability last year, are looking much better. Not sure how you can say we didn't improve the negatives. The play so far suggests we have.

We had some addition by subtraction on the DL and CB, and some decent pickups at both. I agree that both will be better this year. DL was a probably third biggest area of need (behind OL and LB), and CB was down from that.

I mean, sure, we improved, but did we improve at the areas where the reasons we lost were? Not much.

Not trying to argue, just saying the thought process that goes into this.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 12:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, so far the pre season would suggest they have fixed the pass blocking of the oline. We played the top 2 defensive fronts in the league and they hardly sniffed the QB, albeit the run game still seems to be in flux. We are tons deeper at CB this year than we were last year. Same on the D line. LBers, which were a liability last year, are looking much better. Not sure how you can say we didn't improve the negatives. The play so far suggests we have.

To be fair, it is the preseason against two defenses that are going to be good.

The improvements look good... however Washington didn't use their starting CBs so the ball came out quicker. Also, it is the pre season, not a lot of blitz calls and stunts. It's more just getting guys reps. 

We will know week 1 what this team's OL will look like.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 11:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Burrow isn't the issue with this team. If he's bad...we are ABSOLUTELY screwed. 

The issue with this team is the offensive line, the defensive line (which was arguably worse than the offensive line last year), and the head coach. 

Burrow could look amazing in camp this year and it still wouldn't change my opinion that the Bengals are going to be bad this year. 

That was the issue he focussed on though.  As much as I read anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2021, 04:43 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It is very interesting to really see the two sides of this discussion.

Have some fans who look at this and see the history of the team and history of the coaching staff and see no issue with the report.

Then have the other side that are optimistic about the players brought in the past few seasons and find the report to be inaccurate or lazy.

When I posted it, I didn't give any opinion of my own on the article, really was just curious to see how it would play out. It was honestly very close to what I expected, a split between the so-called "homers" who want to believe and the so-called "downers" who want the team to prove it before they buy in.

Neither side is wrong, just nice to see the name calling targeted at a reporter and not other posters who are fellow fans.

I try to look at things as objectively as possible. Based on the past two seasons, its just impossible to say this team is going to have a winning season. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Too many holes still, tough schedule, etc. 

Realistically, they wont be favored in more than 3 games all year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We have a tougher schedule this year, but when you look at last season, and the number of games we lost but where the scores were very close (yeah yeah, I know a loss is a loss) , then you look at the improvements this team has made, I can see 10 wins.  The defense seems to have made huge strides, (QB's are going to be able to throw at LaShaun Sims this year) and hopefully we will have a full season with JB, and a lackluster AJ has been replaced by Chase. I think 10-7 is the mark Taylor needs to hit this year.

Hilarious

Dude, look at the schedule and tell me who those 10 wins are going to come against. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 10:27 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hilarious

Dude, look at the schedule and tell me who those 10 wins are going to come against. 

Minnesota
Chicago
Steelers (split)
Jacksonville
Lions

Jets
Browns (split)
Chargers
Baltimore (split)
Raiders
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Minnesota
Chicago
Steelers (split)
Jacksonville
Lions

Jets
Browns (split)
Chargers
Baltimore (split)
Raiders

I’d take the Chargers and Ravens off there and have them at 8 wins. Which is pretty much right around where I think they’ll be (7 or 8).

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d take the Chargers and Ravens off there and have them at 8 wins. Which is pretty much right around where I think they’ll be (7 or 8).

Ravens just lost  Dobbins for the season. If our D can contain Jackson, I can see them splitting.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ravens just lost  Dobbins for the season. If our D can contain Jackson, I can see them splitting.

Personally, I think we’re still probably at least another year away from competing with them. They absolutely obliterated us in both games last season, and they were the only team to make Burrow look rattled.

People can bang on about the Browns all they want, but the Ravens are still the class of this division until I see otherwise.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Personally, I think we’re still probably at least another year away from competing with them. They absolutely obliterated us in both games last season, and they were the only team to make Burrow look rattled.

People can bang on about the Browns all they want, but the Ravens are still the class of this division until I see otherwise.

No argument from me there, the Ravens are definitely the class of the division as it sits right now. Personally, I look for the Browns to implode again this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No argument from me there, the Ravens are definitely the class of the division as it sits right now. Personally, I look for the Browns to implode again this season.

Implode again? They had a really good season last year. Personally, I can't see us winning any division games except maybe Pitt at home. 

Not sold on beating the Vikings either. I've seen elite running backs run all over us in the past and Cook is about the best in the business. Chargers are also VERY good. 

Jax, Detroit, Chargers, Denver, Chicago are toss up games to me. I'll say we go .500 against them. That puts us around 4-5 wins.  
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No argument from me there, the Ravens are definitely the class of the division as it sits right now. Personally, I look for the Browns to implode again this season.

The Browns only imploded and underachieved the year they made a guy who had no business being a HC into their HC.  The Bengals should haven taken notes.  They have a good roster and a good coaching staff.  Success isn't guaranteed in the NFL, but they're going about things the right way.

Build through the draft
supplement weaknesses with FA signings
get a coaching staff that doesn't suck
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 12:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Implode again? They had a really good season last year. Personally, I can't see us winning any division games except maybe Pitt at home. 

Not sold on beating the Vikings either. I've seen elite running backs run all over us in the past and Cook is about the best in the business. Chargers are also VERY good. 

Jax, Detroit, Chargers, Denver, Chicago are toss up games to me. I'll say we go .500 against them. That puts us around 4-5 wins.  

Cleveland only beat us by 5 points the first game, and 3 points the second game. Burrow balled out against them both times (316 yds 3 TD & 406 yds 3 TD’s), and it took some last minute heroics from Mayfield against our depth CB’s to pull that second game out.

If our defense is even slightly better this year I think we can definitely split with them.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 12:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Browns only imploded and underachieved the year they made a guy who had no business being a HC into their HC.  The Bengals should haven taken notes.  They have a good roster and a good coaching staff.  Success isn't guaranteed in the NFL, but they're going about things the right way.

Build through the draft
supplement weaknesses with FA signings
get a coaching staff that doesn't suck

That’s certainly a big one. Stefanski and Callahan really put them over the top. I think we have the right guy coaching our OL now, but Zac? To say the jury is still out is probably pretty generous.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 12:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s certainly a big one. Stefanski and Callahan really put them over the top. I think we have the right guy coaching our OL now, but Zac? To say the jury is still out is probably pretty generous.

I don't claim to be Mr. Football know-how, but when the Browns hired Kitchens I was skeptical he could handle that team.  When they replaced him with Stefanski I thought they may have very well just made a glaring weakness into a strength.

The Browns knew Kitchens wasn't the guy early and they pulled the plug and it paid off.
Reply/Quote