Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Tufele, Max Scharping, and Devin Asiasi
Are any of these guys gonna shove somebody out of the starting lineup ? It's a long shot

Do these guys help our depth ? I think at least a bit
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
These guys were signed to fill holes at the bottom of the roster plain and simple. They are not going to move the needle much individually no, but they lengthen the roster and can provide snaps to keep our starters fresh. It's a long season and I'm sure these guys will be used in certain packages or game day matchups to utilize their strengths. I rate the signings in order:

1) Scharping- valuable IOL that can play both guard spots if need be, or even push for the LG spot. solid pickup.

2) Asiata- solid blocking TE that can be used for defensive schemes any offense is a bonus from him, he's healthy where Wilcox is always hurt. again solid addition for a #3 TE.

3) Tufele- jury is out, but he was rated as a mid rd pick just last year, maybe wasn't a fit in JAX, cant hurt to bring in a young DL to be a #5 guy in the rotation, probably wont be active unless an injury happens. solid lottery ticket signing IMO.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 06:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Are any of these guys gonna shove somebody out of the starting lineup ? It's a long shot

Do these guys help our depth ? I think at least a bit

Scharping shoving Volson out of the lineup isn’t a long shot at all
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 06:20 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Scharping shoving Volson out of the lineup isn’t a long shot at all

Max Scharping was waived by one of the top 3 worst teams in the NFL. He was beat out by a also very mediocre Justin McCray then claimed by 1 teams the 31st on the waiver wire. Scharping reminds me alot of the Xavier Su'a-Filo signing. As a fan base we better hope Volson moves the needle because Scharping definitely won't at LG.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 06:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Max Scharping was waived by one of the top 3 worst teams in the NFL. He was beat out by a also very mediocre Justin McCray then claimed by 1 teams the 31st on the waiver wire. Scharping reminds me alot of the Xavier Su'a-Filo signing. As a fan base we better hope Volson moves the needle because Scharping definitely won't at LG.

He’s improved his pff grade every year, he had a much better preseason than Volson, and I saw a stat how he’s one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Better than Cappa

So with all that said, yea, he should be starting soon.

and getting cut from a bad franchise during a rebuild doesnt mean much
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 06:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Max Scharping was waived by one of the top 3 worst teams in the NFL. He was beat out by a also very mediocre Justin McCray then claimed by 1 teams the 31st on the waiver wire. Scharping reminds me alot of the Xavier Su'a-Filo signing. As a fan base we better hope Volson moves the needle because Scharping definitely won't at LG.

Every team has different needs.

To another team they probably would’ve kept one of Pryor or Lassiter. Because we let both go does that mean they suck? No. Just cause he got cut from a bad team means little to me. Even bad teams have strong positions and Texans must’ve felt OL was strong enough that they didn’t need to keep a 26 year old rotation player.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Housh Wrote: Every team has different needs.

To another team they probably would’ve kept one of Pryor or Lassiter. Because we let both go does that mean they suck? No. Just cause he got cut from a bad team means little to me. Even bad teams have strong positions and Texans must’ve felt OL was strong enough that they didn’t need to keep a 26 year old rotation player.

Huge difference Pryor is a rookie developmental player. Max Scharping is a 3 year player with 33 starts. We know exactly who Scharping as an NFL Player and that's below average. He is very similar to Xavier Su'a-Filo as a player. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Housh Wrote: Every team has different needs.

Texans want to run the ball a lot anyways. They don’t have many weapons, and Davis Mills is their QB. So the guy who isn’t a good run blocker, currently a back up, while also getting paid a 2nd round salary, might end up on the cut list. And that’s what happened here.

People are putting way too much emphasis on the fact he was cut
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Huge difference Pryor is a rookie developmental player. Max Scharping is a 3 year player with 33 starts. We know exactly who Scharping as an NFL Player and that's below average. He is very similar to Xavier Su'a-Filo as a player. 

Sua Filo’s problem was health. If he wasn’t so fragile, he would be in the starting line up.

Plus sua filo is old. Scharping is 26 and has improved every year. Try not to ignore those giant facts.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:06 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Sua Filo’s problem was health. If he wasn’t so fragile, he would be in the starting line up.

Plus sua filo is old. Scharping is 26 and has improved every year. Try not to ignore those giant facts.

XSFs problem and why he was replaced more than once in his career was because he was a guard that was a bad run blocker. I cannot stress how important run blocking is for IOL. We are talking about the guys your running behind in the redzone and 3rd and shorts. It's easier to hide 1 guy on an OL as a pass blocker than it is a guard run blocking.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:09 PM)Synric Wrote: XSFs problem and why he was replaced more than once in his career was because he was a guard that was a bad run blocker. I cannot stress how important run blocking is for IOL. We are talking about the guys your running behind in the redzone and 3rd and shorts. It's easier to hide 1 guy on an OL as a pass blocker than it is a guard run blocking.

It’s about context. Look at who the bengals have on the rest of the line

According to pff grades:

Collins: better at run blocking

Jonah: better at run blocking

Cappa: better at run blocking

Karras: better at pass blocking

So 3 are better run blockers, and one is a better pass protector.

I want another guy who can pass protect at a decent level. Scharping has proven himself to be a pretty good pass protector.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s about context. Look at who the bengals have on the rest of the line

According to pff grades:

Collins: better at run blocking

Jonah: better at run blocking

Cappa: better at run blocking

Karras: better at pass blocking

So 3 are better run blockers, and one is a better pass protector.

I want another guy who can pass protect at a decent level. Scharping has proven himself to be a pretty good pass protector.

As a guard you're first and foremost looking at Runblocking because that's where they can most impact the game. That's why Houston is excited about their new first round guard Kenyon Green. You can hide a guy as a pass protector especially at guard if it's just one guy. It's very hard to hide a poor run blocking guard.

This is literally the reason they are replacing Hopkins are Center lol. Karras is a much better combo blocker than Hopkins.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:18 PM)Synric Wrote: As a guard you're first and foremost looking at Runblocking because that's where they can most impact the game. That's why Houston is excited about their new first round guard Kenyon Green. You can hide a guy as a pass protector especially at guard. If it's just one guy. It's very hard to hide a poor run blocking guard.

You know what you really can’t hide? A poor pass protector. See Adeniji and Carman.

Joe Burrow is the qb here. Bengals need to protect him first and foremost. Joe Mixon already has a bunch of real good run blockers on this o-line. The right side of the line is going to create huge holes for him.

With how this team and rest of the o-line is constructed, having a LG who is a liability in the run is much more desired than a LG who is a liability in the pass game. That’s why Carman is 3rd string at LG right now.

And Volson hasn’t taken many pass blocking reps, but when he has, it wasn’t pretty.

Jonah, Cappa, Collins are all guys whose strengths are run blocking. The line is going to run block just fine in the redzone. Plus Karras is a better run blocker than Hopkins was. The offense will benefit more with one of the better pass protecting guards in the NFL as a starter. Simple fact
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:18 PM)Synric Wrote: This is literally the reason they are replacing Hopkins are Center lol. Karras is a much better combo blocker than Hopkins.

Even MORE reason to start Scharping(aside from the fact that he’s better than Volson). Everyone can run block better than last years team.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:18 PM)Synric Wrote: As a guard you're first and foremost looking at Runblocking because that's where they can most impact the game. That's why Houston is excited about their new first round guard Kenyon Green. You can hide a guy as a pass protector especially at guard if it's just one guy. It's very hard to hide a poor run blocking guard.

This is literally the reason they are replacing Hopkins are Center lol. Karras is a much better combo blocker than Hopkins.

That's not actually accurate.  Ever watch college football?  Teams like Georgia Tech value run blocking, Run and Shoot teams value pass blocking.  If you went with your logic, Carman would be the starter without question due to his run score.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 08:30 PM)Yogo Wrote: That's not actually accurate.  Ever watch college football?  Teams like Georgia Tech value run blocking, Run and Shoot teams value pass blocking.  If you went with your logic, Carman would be the starter without question due to his run score.

College air raid teams pass blocking is helped by the scheme. Its completely different than 11 personnel in the NFL. In fact it's very low percentage for air raid offensive line to be successful in the NFL. If you're talking about a standard spread (most of SEC) those teams are 50/50 run pass just like the NFL.

Reply/Quote
I would guess Volson will have a short leash. They may even platoon him a bit with somebody just to ease him in. And who knows perhaps Scharping will work his way in as a starter ? But I doubt he sees major snaps until he has some reps with team for a bit.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 07:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He’s improved his pff grade every year, he had a much better preseason than Volson, and I saw a stat how he’s one of the better pass blocking guards in the league. Better than Cappa

So with all that said, yea, he should be starting soon.

and getting cut from a bad franchise during a rebuild doesnt mean much

Not sure about his grades improving every year.

[Image: MS-grades.jpg]

But his pass block efficiency puts him right in the "average" range, based on the last couple years and has him right around guys like Cappa. 

And Jackson Carman.  Cool

EDIT: When i bump up snaps to 50%, it only gives me 48 results but it does boost guys like Cappa and Spain into the high 20s and keeps Scharping around 33rd.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not sure about his grades improving every year.

[Image: MS-grades.jpg]

But his pass block efficiency puts him right in the "average" range, based on the last couple years and has him right around guys like Cappa. 

And Jackson Carman.  Cool

At least his pass pro has kept improving. That’s what I really like to see

Actually, those pass block grades are exactly what us fans want to see. The interior and right tackle spot is already a better run blocking unit than last years. When the time is ready, you put in Scharping.

Unless Volson proves to be competent in pass pro, which I doubt at this stage in his career
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:27 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Didn’t know he regressed his 2nd year. At least his pass pro has kept improving. That’s what I really like to see

But those pass block grades are exactly what us fans want to see. The interior and right tackle spot is already a better run blocking unit than last years. When the time is ready, you put in Scharping.

Unless Volson proves to be competent in pass pro, which I doubt at this stage in his career

I did add an edit after your post, but it basically says that Scharping is still in the average range. Unless Volson shows something, putting Scharping in when he's up to speed isn't really a bad idea. 

The good news is, Karras is top 10 at G and C in PBE the last 2 years and Cappa is just outside the top 20 both years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote