Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Tufele, Max Scharping, and Devin Asiasi
(09-03-2022, 09:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I did add an edit after your post, but it basically says that Scharping is still in the average range. Unless Volson shows something, putting Scharping in when he's up to speed isn't really a bad idea. 

The good news is, Karras is top 10 at G and C in PBE the last 2 years and Cappa is just outside the top 20 both years. 

And that’s all I’m saying. Because I doubt Volson as a 4th round rookie can prove to be a decent pass protector this early in his career.

Everyone would feel better with a proven player who can protect Burrow. Volson is a mystery, but we all have the feeling that he’s going to struggle with pass rushers
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I did add an edit after your post, but it basically says that Scharping is still in the average range. Unless Volson shows something, putting Scharping in when he's up to speed isn't really a bad idea. 

The good news is, Karras is top 10 at G and C in PBE the last 2 years and Cappa is just outside the top 20 both years. 

I expect I goes Volson > Trey Hill > Then a toss up between Carman and Scharping at his point.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:38 PM)Synric Wrote: I expect I goes Volson > Trey Hill > Then a toss up between Carman and Scharping at his point.

Here's the TPS.

[Image: tps-scharping.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's the TPS.

[Image: tps-scharping.jpg]

If Volson can manage a 53 true pass blocking grade in his first year, then I will call that a great success.

I’m rooting for him, but logic says he will prob fall between the 35-45 range in terms of pff pass pro grading. Which would be bad. Do not care if he is putting up decent run blocking stats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If Volson can manage a 53 true pass blocking grade in his first year, then I will call that a great success.

I’m rooting for him, but logic says he will prob fall between the 35-45 range in terms of pff pass pro grading. Which would be bad. Do not care if he is putting up decent run blocking stats

You're right 45 to 55% of a the snaps per game dont matter at all.  Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:38 PM)Synric Wrote: I expect I goes Volson > Trey Hill > Then a toss up between Carman and Scharping at his point.

Trey Hill is an interesting option. He only took 15 snaps at RG in the preseason, other than C, but his numbers were good. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:47 PM)Synric Wrote: You're right 45 to 55% of a the snaps per game dont matter at all.  Ninja

They matter, but if you had read my posts, the run blocking the bengals will get from C and RG is infinitely better than the run blocking they got from those positions last year. So it’s already a big net positive as is. Last year, only Spain was good at run blocking. In 2022, Karras and Cappa are good at run blocking.

If Volson is a liability in pass pro, that’s a lot worse than Scharping being a liability in run blocking.

Even if Scharping is at LG, the interior’s run game will be better than last seasons
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 09:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Trey Hill is an interesting option. He only took 15 snaps at RG in the preseason, other than C, but his numbers were good. 

Injuries at Center killed his chance to take guard reps in games. He did get backup LG reps through out training camp though.

Ben Brown looked very good in game one. I think he could have pushed for a spot on the 53.

Reply/Quote
I think it takes Volson then Carman struggling for Scharping to get a shot. Carman, Hill, and Adeniji should be all we need dressing on game days along with our starting 5 at OL. Plenty of time for Scharping to get up to speed. If they bomb it will speed up the process.

Asiasi would be on the inactive list for at least the first month or so. I don't think he will jump Hurst, Sample, or Wilcox. We should have plenty of time to get him up to speed.

Tufele will be inactive. We have a rock solid group of DTs with Reader, Hill, Tupou, and Carter. But Carter is a rookie so having a backup plan in place is nice.

We added nice depth with potential who were just recently mid round picks and they are playing on their rookie contracts. And all we gave up was money, 4.3mil. And they all have a path to playing time other than the ideal way of forcing the coaches to play them.

And if Scharping ends up playing a bunch of games for us and we go to the playoffs and he shows well. He could get a big pay day when he hits free agency next year and get us a decent compensatory pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:34 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I love it.

I didn't expect to get excited after cutdown day. But damn! We did a hell of a job grabbing good young talent with NFL experience and potential at positions that were in need of reinforcements.

We wanted a pass rushing DT and got one. The Jags now only have 2 DL listed over 300lbs on their 53 man roster.

We wanted experienced G depth. Got it. The Texans now only have 9 OL.

We were weak at TE. Got one. The Patriots now only have 2 TE.

It's possible we threw a wrench into the plans of three different teams.

Interesting as I was just looking up his bio, the commentators (the third guy) selected him as a standout pick from that round.  Good listen.

I also liked what they said about his game in the analysis:  Don't expect him to diagnose much, but tell him to go and get upfield and he can do that.  Maturity issues also cited.  Hope he can provide quality 3T depth. 

Jay Tufele Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 01:09 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: If you said 2nd SB I would concur, but Rodney Holman was NOT lackluster in any dimension of his game.

I meant the 2nd..  i dont go that far back, this 3rd SB has really mess up my time clock.
Reply/Quote