Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaylon Smith
(01-16-2016, 12:59 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Disagree.. Burfict is pretty athletic as well as Dawson. The only knock on Dawson I remember was lack of practice intensity, but shows up during the game.

His combine numbers were OL-esque
Reply/Quote
Dawson and Burfict play fast downhill, but both, along with all of our other backers continuously struggle in space. That's just the criteria of how we add 2nd level defenders, physical downhill gap knifers. And it's bit us in the ass every time someone with any quickness gets in space.

Either Hawk or Rey should be gone, we need a complimentary piece that brings a little more quickness and lateral agility than my grandmother out there.
Reply/Quote
We need some seriously athleticism in the linebacker core. Burfict is a stud but will be suspended, Maualuga is solid against the run but piss poor at everything else. Vinney Rey is a solid backup and a guy who can start if need be, but he lacks athleticism and speed. Lamur is disappointing. Marquis Flowers is a relative unknown. I think Dawson will be a good one and I'm excited to see Trevor Roach and Jeff Luc get a chance, but we need a top flight linebacker.
Reply/Quote
Burfict is surprisingly good in coverage. 3 picks in the last 4 games, and he was basically beating the receivers to the top of their route

That said, Myles Jack hasn't the same long, tough road to recovery as Smith does. Tyler Matakevich might be available just a round or two later, though not as athletic.
Reply/Quote
Id rather get Scooby in the second round 99 times out of 100
Reply/Quote
Kyler Fackrell out of Utah State is a kid that would fit nicely at strong side backer. He would be there in the 3rd and possibly in the 4th round.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:07 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Dawson and Burfict play fast downhill, but both, along with all of our other backers continuously struggle in space. That's just the criteria of how we add 2nd level defenders, physical downhill gap knifers. And it's bit us in the ass every time someone with any quickness gets in space.

Either Hawk or Rey should be gone, we need a complimentary piece that brings a little more quickness and lateral agility than my grandmother out there.

The ones that appeared to be consistently beat in coverage were Lamur and V. Rey.  Even Maualuga looked better in coverage than those two and made a couple of nice plays.  The first two need to be upgraded.  I'd love a more athletic guy - as long as he's got a high football IQ
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This year has some great line backers and Jaylon would be a great pickup for our team. If not Darron Lee looks to be a strong possibility and has some great upside. Either way im extremely excited for this years draft and it seems to much stronger than last year on paper.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 03:22 PM)brian5562 Wrote: Kyler Fackrell out of Utah State is a kid that would fit nicely at strong side backer. He would be there in the 3rd and possibly in the 4th round.

so you would forgo getting a first round stud line backer in a very good group to get a 3rd or 4th round guy who looks like a math teacher

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:21 PM)3wt Wrote: The ones that appeared to be consistently beat in coverage were Lamur and V. Rey.  Even Maualuga looked better in coverage than those two and made a couple of nice plays.  The first two need to be upgraded.  I'd love a more athletic guy - as long as he's got a high football IQ

It's honestly not all about coverage, all we got is Lamur for patrolling any type of deep zone because he can at least cover ground. 

I simply want guys that can make plays in the open field. We have plenty of line of scrimmage attackers but basically no one who can handle threats out of the backfield or in the slot when we're in base.

Along with getting another interior threat, this should be our second priority.
Reply/Quote
I easily take Smith if he falls to 24. Possibly even move up for him.

However, that knee injury is going to be the most watched injury during this draft process.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
We are already down a LB for the first three games of next year. I dont like the idea of going with another first round pick who will start on the PUP list. Especially at a position where we already know we are down a starter at the beginning of the year
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Bengals will go for a 1st or 2nd round OLB. It may be that the top 5 in this category may be taken before the Bengals turn to pick. I'm thinking that Lamur is gone and that retires or gets waived so he doesn't have to pay back his bonus. The MLB is okay with Mau and Roach backing him up. Dawson could be the man behind Burfict, but he'll need to show his commitment during camp. Dimanche is a special teamer. Another question mark is Flowers. It will be interesting to see how he will do this season.
Reply/Quote
Rumor is that he will be ready to start the 2016 season.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
On Dawson's combine, you're right, he didn't show very well. It's interesting to point out that Roach's NFL Pro Day performance would have placed him 5th overall for LB's at the combine had he been invited to attend. Roach started at Nebraska at MLB in pro-style 4-3 defense, while Dawson played more base nickel defense in 2 LB set. So the two can't really be compared to each other on the field. But I do feel that chemistry between players is an important factor. This is something that Mau and Burfict share. If you go back and watch pre-season film of Roach and Dawson, you see the same chemistry between these rookies. They played extremely well together. But again their behind the starters, so there was no chance that we would see them on the field for 2015. So Dawson played ST and Roach went to the PS. Maybe we'll see more of them in the pre-season and later during the season.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 04:47 PM)Okeana Wrote: so you would forgo getting a first round stud line backer in a very good group to get a 3rd or 4th round guy who looks like a math teacher

If a stud DT is sitting there at #24, you pick up the LB later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 12:19 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Rumor is that he will be ready to start the 2016 season.

Combine will be huge for him. Even his Pro Day. Hopefully he will be ready by then. But nerves are a tricky subject to determine when they're fully healed.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If a stud DT is sitting there at #24, you pick up the LB later.

Only way I take a LB over a DT stud is if it's Jaylon Smith honestly. Unless someone drastically falls.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If a stud DT is sitting there at #24, you pick up the LB later.

Yep. A stud DT can make a mediocre LB look like a stud. 
A stud LB only looks like a stud for himself. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 05:41 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Combine will be huge for him. Even his Pro Day. Hopefully he will be ready by then. But nerves are a tricky subject to determine when they're fully healed.

He just had a torn mcl/acl in January.  What do you mean the combine will be huge for him?
Reply/Quote