Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaylon Smith
(02-02-2016, 06:25 PM)TGISunday Wrote: He just had a torn mcl/acl in January.  What do you mean the combine will be huge for him?

Medicals and interviews. 
Reply/Quote
Burfict has actually been fairly decent in coverage when called upon...

Has a few INT's and what not.

Dawson is slow, and like people have said, similar to Burfict as in wouldn't be dropping into coverage much.

I expect Marvin Lewis and company to draft some 4th round or UDFA LB to be a role player on 3rd downs... seems to fit the bill as to what they like to do.
Reply/Quote
A lot of weather a LB looks good in coverage has to do with the defensive play call, as well.  For example, asking an average NFL LB to cover an athletic TE for the full duration of a play, by only exerting pressure from the front four, is usually a mismatch in favor of the offense.  However, if the LB is dropping into coverage to account for a Safety blitz, and is only looking to get in the lane and disrupt/intercept a rushed/ill advised throw, then advantage defense.  I noticed that Burfict looked great in coverage, when they sent Reggie Nelson on the blitz.  More than once.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A lot of weather a LB looks good in coverage has to do with the defensive play call, as well.  For example, asking an average NFL LB to cover an athletic TE for the full duration of a play, by only exerting pressure from the front four, is usually a mismatch in favor of the offense.  However, if the LB is dropping into coverage to account for a Safety blitz, and is only looking to get in the lane and disrupt/intercept a rushed/ill advised throw, then advantage defense.  I noticed that Burfict looked great in coverage, when they sent Reggie Nelson on the blitz.  More than once.

Covering a brief zone on a blitz is one thing. You can keep the play in front of you and you know it's coming out quick.
Even Maualuga has been solid when playing zone to keep the ball in front of him. And we know how he is in coverage. 

The problem is when there isn't a blitz and the TE is moving across the field, or a WR moves across the field or a RB moves across the field...our LBs can't follow them without getting a few steps behind. 
Reply/Quote
I feel like Jaylon Smith won't be there when we pick at 24. Every time I think of him I think of Todd Gurley. He had an ACL tear and he went 10th overall. I know they play different positions and all, but with Smith saying he'll be ready to start the 2016 season, I don't see him dropping to us. If he did however, take him immediately.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:46 PM)ASUBengalsfan Wrote: I feel like Jaylon Smith won't be there when we pick at 24. Every time I think of him I think of Todd Gurley. He had an ACL tear and he went 10th overall. I know they play different positions and all, but with Smith saying he'll be ready to start the 2016 season, I don't see him dropping to us. If he did however, take him immediately.

This ^^^

98% chance he isn't there when we pick. If he is and they feel comfortable with his health then he will clearly be BPA and an easy choice. No DT in this draft is as good a prospect as smith (who before the injury was in the discussion to go 1st overall). Bengals draft the best players on their board, so if he's there it's a no brainer. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:46 PM)ASUBengalsfan Wrote: I feel like Jaylon Smith won't be there when we pick at 24. Every time I think of him I think of Todd Gurley. He had an ACL tear and he went 10th overall. I know they play different positions and all, but with Smith saying he'll be ready to start the 2016 season, I don't see him dropping to us. If he did however, take him immediately.

There's a few differences between Smith and Gurley. Gurley tore his ACL in the middle of November. Smith tore his in the beginning of January. And it took Gurley a bit to get into practice and such.

Another thing people are overlooking is that Smith also tore his LCL, meaning it's a tissue injury as well. So that's two major injuries instead of one. From what I've read from athletes, when tearing both of those it can take up to 8-10 months to even start practicing

His knee is going to be scrutinized every step of the way. The LCL tear has more long term questions than the ACL.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Covering a brief zone on a blitz is one thing. You can keep the play in front of you and you know it's coming out quick.
Even Maualuga has been solid when playing zone to keep the ball in front of him. And we know how he is in coverage. 

The problem is when there isn't a blitz and the TE is moving across the field, or a WR moves across the field or a RB moves across the field...our LBs can't follow them without getting a few steps behind

I agree, and even mentioned that in that situation, it's advantage offense.  I certainly hope that if the Bengals don't get a stud DT in the 1st round, that they go for the best athletic, 3 down LB that is on the board.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 07:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's a few differences between Smith and Gurley. Gurley tore his ACL in the middle of November. Smith tore his in the beginning of January. And it took Gurley a bit to get into practice and such.

Another thing people are overlooking is that Smith also tore his LCL, meaning it's a tissue injury as well. So that's two major injuries instead of one. From what I've read from athletes, when tearing both of those it can take up to 8-10 months to even start practicing

His knee is going to be scrutinized every step of the way. The LCL tear has more long term questions than the ACL.

Yep. When people say he will be ready by camp, it's closer to "he'll be ready to start practicing a bit and see how it goes" not full participation

(02-03-2016, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, and even mentioned that in that situation, it's advantage offense.  I certainly hope that if the Bengals don't get a stud DT in the 1st round, that they go for the best athletic, 3 down LB that is on the board.

LB/DT has to be top priority. It's too easy to manufacture WR production now from even moderate talents to take a #2 WR early. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, and even mentioned that in that situation, it's advantage offense.  I certainly hope that if the Bengals don't get a stud DT in the 1st round, that they go for the best athletic, 3 down LB that is on the board.

True, very true. We need an athletic Linebacker to take away screens and slants.

We get one of these guys and our Defense takes another step.

(02-03-2016, 09:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yep. When people say he will be ready by camp, it's closer to "he'll be ready to start practicing a bit and see how it goes" not full participation

LB/DT has to be top priority. It's too easy to manufacture WR production now from even moderate talents to take a #2 WR early. 

As much as i like Corey Coleman i agree with you guys. DT/LB/WR in that order.

Get a Center in the 2nd to mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 12:55 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dawson will come on next year...

i hope so.

nice avatar btw, GG ALLIN was a rowdy mofo.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 07:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's a few differences between Smith and Gurley. Gurley tore his ACL in the middle of November. Smith tore his in the beginning of January. And it took Gurley a bit to get into practice and such.

Smith's injuries are severe enough to write off 2016 for the most part. I think he like Ced may be available when we draft, if some are fortunate enough to have the roster and no glaring need (hopefully once we address any be getting some of our guys back or FA) so unlike others, we can roll the dice.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Smith's injuries are severe enough to write off 2016 for the most part. I think he like Ced may be available when we draft, if some are fortunate enough to have the roster and no glaring need (hopefully once we address any be getting some of our guys back or FA) so unlike others, we can roll the dice.

If he's there at 24 you don't just roll the dice, you throw it on the ground as fast as you can.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:09 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If he's there at 24 you don't just roll the dice, you throw it on the ground as fast as you can.

I agree 100%, my dice comment is only due to the severity rumored of his knee injury.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I'm unclear as to what you mean by the LCL tear is also a tissue injury and why it has more long term questions than an ACL tear. 
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 01:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree 100%, my dice comment is only due to the severity rumored of his knee injury.

I had personal experience with a player who had both ACL and LCL injury.  Yes,  100% the player is gone for a year and then depending on level of commitment to adhering to conditioning and the recovery process the player will not be at full speed for the first 5 to 6 games.   So, the Bengals would have to look downstream on what Smith can possibly bring to the field in mid 2017.   
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 09:59 PM)SFmajor Wrote: I had personal experience with a player who had both ACL and LCL injury.  Yes,  100% the player is gone for a year and then depending on level of commitment to adhering to conditioning and the recovery process the player will not be at full speed for the first 5 to 6 games.   So, the Bengals would have to look downstream on what Smith can possibly bring to the field in mid 2017.   

No reason to suggest he wouldn't be ready for the beginning of the 2017 season. He could take the whole calendar year from his injury on for recovery and then be full go for next offseason. Unless the recovery goes poorly he should be full go by the start of 2017 after having a whole offseason and preseason to get back in football shape.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 09:59 PM)SFmajor Wrote: I had personal experience with a player who had both ACL and LCL injury.  Yes,  100% the player is gone for a year and then depending on level of commitment to adhering to conditioning and the recovery process the player will not be at full speed for the first 5 to 6 games.   So, the Bengals would have to look downstream on what Smith can possibly bring to the field in mid 2017.   

Assuming everything goes smoothly he will be back WAY before that. There has been great progress in getting ACL & MCL's to heal much quicker than they did 5 years ago. I think a better mark would be for him to be able to start practicing week 6 of 2016.

Jaylon Smith is a huge talent. A top 5 talent in the draft and exactly the yYn to Burfict & dawsons Yang. If you are the Bengals and have the luxury of picking him, even if you have to redshirt him for a year, you have to get him. Assuming medicals dont turn up any curveballs.

However i dont think he will be there for us. Other teams know how great he is, he is either gone before our pick, or if he makes it to our pick i think it's because he isnt showing the progress or they see something they dont like with his leg.
Reply/Quote
I just turned on the combine coverage on NFL Network and they were talking about Jaylon Smith. It was mentioned that some teams believe Smith will not only miss all of 2016, but could be out even longer than that.

I don't know how true this is, but it's looking like the injury is severe.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 09:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I just turned on the combine coverage on NFL Network and they were talking about Jaylon Smith. It was mentioned that some teams believe Smith will not only miss all of 2016, but could be out even longer than that.

I don't know how true this is, but it's looking like the injury is severe.

I saw first round is out of the question. Nerve damage is there and full recovery is not a given. Didnt look that bad. But he could drop like that CB cleveland took really late last year.
Reply/Quote