Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Hafley Declines Bengals D Coordinator Job
(02-16-2019, 11:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I get it. It just feels like they're starting to get desperate at this point.

I feel like the historically bad stretches of defense we played this past year really hurt us.

Very possible along with the aging personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
Each day it looks more ridiculous that Taylor turned down Jack friggin Del Rio.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:59 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: Very possible along with the aging personnel.

The time to get rid of Marvin was 5 years ago. We had a 25-26 year old Atkins and Dunlap then.

25-26 year old AJ Green. Dalton was 26-27.

We had a really good line with Whitworth and Zeitler. Whit was like 30.

Man...who wouldn't want to coach that team?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The time to get rid of Marvin was 5 years ago. We had a 25-26 year old Atkins and Dunlap then.

25-26 year old AJ Green. Dalton was 26-27.

We had a really good line with Whitworth and Zeitler. Whit was like 30.

Man...who wouldn't want to coach that team?

Very good point. I was done with Marvin after 2015.

Reply/Quote
It's time to call Rex and/or Mike Nolan.

Rex's love of the spotlight might be a good thing for a rookie HC. Use Rex as a human shield.

And Mike Nolan is a former HC working as a LB coach with a track record of damn good defenses.

Both guys have coached good defenses in our division.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:08 PM)McC Wrote: It's time to call Rex and/or Mike Nolan.

Rex's love of the spotlight might be a good thing for a rookie HC.  Use Rex as a human shield.

And Mike Nolan is a former HC working as a LB coach with a track record of damn good defenses.

I'd love Rex, but I'd be calling Del Rio back and begging forgiveness.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd love Rex, but I'd be calling Del Rio back and begging forgiveness.

I think Nolan is at least as good as Del Rio, if not better.  And the bridge to him is as yet unburned.

Maybe it was all about the 4-3/3-4 thing with JDR.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:14 PM)McC Wrote: I think Nolan is at least as good as Del Rio, if not better.  And the bridge to him is as yet unburned.

Maybe it was all about the 4-3/3-4 thing with JDR.

I think Nolan is the guy. Hopefully they’re keeping it close to the vest.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Each day it looks more ridiculous that Taylor turned down Jack friggin Del Rio.

Yep, hiring Del Rio would have instantly given both identity and credibility to the new look Bengals.  I wonder if they could beg him back?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:18 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I think Nolan is the guy. Hopefully they’re keeping it close to the vest.

So is this a guy we're really looking at? Or are we dreaming?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:58 AM)McC Wrote: My new theory--the Bengals are going after guys in reverse order, getting all the guys they were lukewarm on out of the way first and working their way up to the guy they hire, who will be the guy they most wanted after all.  It's a brilliant strategy.  This is how they're outfoxing all the internet "experts" and "insiders."

My theory is that the Bengals are intentionally going after guys that'll say no so they can turn around and give Marvin the DC position and tell the fans, "We tried"

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they are looking to the college ranks, a couple of names that might be worth looking at Mike Tressel of Michigan St., and Kevin Steele of Auburn.  Steele has NFL experience, he was the LBs coach under Dom Capers for the Panthers. Steele also has HC experience, a short run at Baylor, but he seems to be successful on the defensive side of the ball.

Is Mark Tressel related to Jim? Loved the Vest!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So is this a guy we're really looking at? Or are we dreaming?

I can only speak for myself---dreaming.

But he was on some list somewhere I saw, though it gets harder and harder to remember as each day goes on and more names come and go.

Reply/Quote

Rex's love of the spotlight might be a good thing for a rookie HC.  Use Rex as a human shield.

Id be for Rex for the laughs, if nothing else, but isn't he sort of the TOcho of coaches?  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Id be for Rex for the laughs, if nothing else, but isn't he sort of the TOcho of coaches?  

Like I said in another thread, use Rex as a human shield for the rookie HC.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:58 PM)McC Wrote: Like I said in another thread, use Rex as a human shield for the rookie HC.

I'm not sure if Taylor hiring a second headline-generating coach is a good thing, but who knows at this point .
Reply/Quote
Screw it. No defensive coordinator. Let the players manage themselves.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 02:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not sure if Taylor hiring a second headline-generating coach is a good thing, but who knows at this point .

Aren't we all just throwing things at the wall at this point to see what sticks?  And it was mostly just tongue in cheek anyway.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 02:44 PM)McC Wrote: Aren't we all just throwing things at the wall at thus point to see what sticks?  And it was mostly just tongue in cheek anyway.

I hear ya.  I'm all for Rex.
Reply/Quote

Nolan was supposedly on the initial list of guys that we were rumored to want. I've heard nothing about an interview.

I'd be cool with Nolan, Fox, Del Rio, or Ryan at this point. Actually from the start too.
Reply/Quote