Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Hafley Declines Bengals D Coordinator Job
(02-16-2019, 03:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nolan was supposedly on the initial list of guys that we were rumored to want. I've heard nothing about an interview.

I'd be cool with Nolan, Fox, Del Rio, or Ryan at this point. Actually from the start too.

The idea of Ryan is interesting. Fox and Nolan would be solid vet coaches with a ton of experience. 

Curious if they've reached out to Elko yet (a guy I really like) and what exactly happened with Pleasant?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nolan was supposedly on the initial list of guys that we were rumored to want. I've heard nothing about an interview.

I'd be cool with Nolan, Fox, Del Rio, or Ryan at this point. Actually from the start too.

That's what I thought too.  Weird there's no word on him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is Mark Tressel related to Jim? Loved the Vest!

Not for certain on his relation to Jim, but he's been with Mark D'Antonio for 15 years.  Over that time, he's been STs coordinator, LBs coach, Defensive coordinator, and most recently promoted to Asst. HC.  Despite the team's pedestrian 7-6 record this year, Michigan St. again had one of the most efficient defenses in the Nation.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef

https://msuspartans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=74&path=football
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not for certain on his relation to Jim, but he's been with Mark D'Antonio for 15 years.  Over that time, he's been STs coordinator, LBs coach, Defensive coordinator, and most recently promoted to Asst. HC.  Despite the team's pedestrian 7-6 record this year, Michigan St. again had one of the most efficient defenses in the Nation.

Best run stopping D too correct?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Best run stopping D too correct?

Yep, they are near the top of the Nation, on a regular basis.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, they are near the top of the Nation, on a regular basis.

Would love to get Mark Tressel at DC along with that DT they have, Williams...
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love to get Mark Tressel at DC along with that DT they have, Williams...

Yeah, that would be nice.  If Tresel has any interest in coaching in the NFL, now would be the time to go after him, before he starts getting HC offers in the NCAA.

The other guy that I mentioned earlier, Kevin Steele?  He checks a lot of boxes, as well.  NFL experience as LBs coach with the Panthers, under Dom Capers.  Pervious HC experience, a few years at Baylor.  Successful DC at Auburn, in the very competitive SEC.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that would be nice.  If Tresel has any interest in coaching in the NFL, now would be the time to go after him, before he starts getting HC offers in the NCAA.

The other guy that I mentioned earlier, Kevin Steele?  He checks a lot of boxes, as well.  NFL experience as LBs coach with the Panthers, under Dom Capers.  Pervious HC experience, a few years at Baylor.  Successful DC at Auburn, in the very competitive SEC.

Great names Sunset, refreshing. Steele sounds like another perfect fit with his coaching the Panthers Linebackers and that being our biggest weakness at this moment. Auburn's Defense wasn't bad either. Liking a lot of options out there still. Don't understand the panic going on. We will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not for certain on his relation to Jim, but he's been with Mark D'Antonio for 15 years.  Over that time, he's been STs coordinator, LBs coach, Defensive coordinator, and most recently promoted to Asst. HC.  Despite the team's pedestrian 7-6 record this year, Michigan St. again had one of the most efficient defenses in the Nation.

MSU under D'Antonio has always had pretty good defenses! I'd kick the tires, you never know.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great names Sunset, refreshing. Steele sounds like another perfect fit with his coaching the Panthers Linebackers and that being our biggest weakness at this moment. Auburn's Defense wasn't bad either. Liking a lot of options out there still. Don't understand the panic going on. We will be fine.

Yep, we will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 05:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yep, we will be fine.

I mean, we haven't even heard or read of any potential interest in those particular guys.  All that I'm trying to point out is that there are still plenty of great candidates out there.  All of this panic about having everyone in place before the combine, is a bunch of bullshit, in my opinion.  Every year, a few dudes that would have been not viewed as highly seem to rise to the top of everyone's board, because they trained like a track athlete for 3 or 4 months, and looked better than they did on the field.  Coaches are coaches, they know that game film is the only real "truth serum" when it comes to judging prospects.

So, what I'm saying here is, the Bengals should take all the time they need to find the right fit.  There are plenty of qualified candidates out there, and any perceived pressure to get the staff in place specifically for the combine, is just fallacy talk.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is Mark Tressel related to Jim? Loved the Vest!

Nephew, if I’m not mistaken his dad (Jim’s brother) coached at OSU
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 05:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yep, we will be fine.

Yeah Wedge, some of these guys panicking have just been conditioned to do so for years.

Understandable being a Bengals fan.

(02-16-2019, 05:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I mean, we haven't even heard or read of any potential interest in those particular guys.  All that I'm trying to point out is that there are still plenty of great candidates out there.  All of this panic about having everyone in place before the combine, is a bunch of bullshit, in my opinion.  Every year, a few dudes that would have been not viewed as highly seem to rise to the top of everyone's board, because they trained like a track athlete for 3 or 4 months, and looked better than they did on the field.  Coaches are coaches, they know that game film is the only real "truth serum" when it comes to judging prospects.

So, what I'm saying here is, the Bengals should take all the time they need to find the right fit.  There are plenty of qualified candidates out there, and any perceived pressure to get the staff in place specifically for the combine, is just fallacy talk.

So true, great post Sunset.
Reply/Quote
After the DC is finally in place and he’s chosen his position coaches we will be satisfied with the choices made. They will have experience and credibility. Above all else they will be approved by ZT and not Marvin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah Wedge, some of these guys panicking have just been conditioned to do so for years.

Understandable being a Bengals fan.

So true, great post Sunset.

The voice of reason, Sunset as well.

Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:23 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: After the DC is finally in place and he’s chosen his position coaches we will be satisfied with the choices made. They will have experience and credibility. Above all else they will be approved by ZT and not Marvin.

Damn rights Phil, we don't want another Teryl Austin round here like ole Marv picked.

Pretty much guarantee whoever it is will be better than that guy and yet some on here will always complain even if he ends up coaching up a top 5 Defense. Just the way some Bengal fans roll. Glad you are around to help me out, we need more positive posters on here, as you can see there are plenty negative nancys to always bring the positive dudes down.
Reply/Quote
It's kind of hard to believe how bad the defense was under Austin. His defenses with the Lions were lower half of the league, but we were historically bad here.

The personnel we have should have been much easier to transition than the results.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's kind of hard to believe how bad the defense was under Austin. His defenses with the Lions were lower half of the league, but we were historically bad here.

The personnel we have should have been much easier to transition than the results.

Agree with you here Pistons. It honestly shocked me how bad the Defense was, especially with the players we have. But playing soft zone is never something i would try and that was the softest i have ever seen a Defense play, i want to see some aggressive play and i don't care if we get beat from time to time playing that way.

Damn i am getting a little ancy, i want to see who this new DC is and who our new LB coach and DL coach will be.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with you here Pistons. It honestly shocked me how bad the Defense was, especially with the players we have. But playing soft zone is never something i would try and that was the softest i have ever seen a Defense play, i want to see some aggressive play and i don't care if we get beat from time to time playing that way.

Damn i am getting a little ancy, i want to see who this new DC is and who our new LB coach and DL coach will be.

It seems like we haven't had LB's who could rush the QB in forever here? How nice would that be?

(I consider guys like Lawson and Hubbard DE's.)

Also, who was the last LB we had that could cover a TE? Spikes maybe?
Reply/Quote
The next Cincinnati defensive coordinator will have to come from the college ranks because there are only a few defensive coaches with NFL experience left:

1. Rex Ryan
2. Joey Porter
3. Marvin Lewis

I think the Front Office is numbing the fan base to the point that #3 gets rammed down our throats whether we like it or not.
Reply/Quote