Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Sessions Resigns
Regardless the reason, this is probably a net positive thing, yeah? Sessions was pretty awful.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(11-07-2018, 09:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Regardless the reason, this is probably a net positive thing, yeah? Sessions was pretty awful.

I definitely have mixed feelings on this, but lean this direction. I'm just concerned about what will come next.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-07-2018, 09:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nah the money is in ripping on Trump.   I mean would anyone actually watch Scarborough if he weren’t a Republican who constantly rips on Republicans. He’s not that good.  And I can go the other way. Would David Horowitz have had the popularity he had if he hadn’t been a radical 60s guy?

I didn't know Horowitz had popularity. His was somewhat limited even in Fox world.  Last time he was big news was during his push for an Academic Bill of Rights, which fizzled in PA. That was in 2005. Has something happened since? Seems like D'Souza has replaced him as guy who manufactures new narratives--Obama's "postcolonial" agenda, the "switch" after 65 never occured, Hillary's America etc.

Scaborough seems to me about as polished as any of the commentators doing what he does. The ripping on Republicans seems rather recent to me. Some years back I thought he was more like a mainstream O'Reilly.  The party changed and that is why we find him and Steve Schmidt and George Will and Michael Steele standing up for the party that was--against Trump.  

Also, Scarborough is photogenic, prom king good looks. Middle America appeal. Sessions is a small elderly guy with a southern accent who was down with the Trump agenda, while taking his personal abuse. That limits his appeal outside Trumpdom, and being cast off by the leader limits his appeal inside it.  Trump's nicknames stick to a guy like that. Also, Sessions represents some tendencies of the Trump movement with least appeal outside it. Nasty on immigration.

Like Dino says, maybe slap his name on a ghost written book--supporting the guy who kicked him down the stairs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-07-2018, 09:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: So, since bfine suggested Rudy...

Honestly I don't know if this make it more or less likely that Trump would pick him.   Ninja

Wow. Cigars. Guy is not ALL bad.
(11-07-2018, 09:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Wasn't Graham the one who said there would be hell for trump to pay if he fired session s or interfered with murller? 

Yeah, but that was when McCain was alive

Once he died graham turned into an extra shitty human being
People suck
(11-08-2018, 02:09 AM)Dill Wrote: Wow. Cigars. Guy is not ALL bad.

I'd like to know what he bought.  If he bought a bunch of that Fuente Opus nonsense, I'm done with him.  The original Opus wasn't too much of a ripoff, but all those special ones and that Lost City are ridiculous.  Now if he dropped it on Padron 1926.  Respect.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-08-2018, 01:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'd like to know what he bought.  If he bought a bunch of that Fuente Opus nonsense, I'm done with him.  The original Opus wasn't too much of a ripoff, but all those special ones and that Lost City are ridiculous.  Now if he dropped it on Padron 1926.  Respect.

Eh, **** the Opus X. The Anejo, which has the same filler and binder but with a maduro wrapper was a much better smoke for less money. But yeah, Padron 1926 is a damn good smoke.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Interesting point here. Basically, Trump couldn't appoint this guy to be acting AG because he never received Senate confirmation. Pretty much whatever he does will have no legal standing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html
(11-08-2018, 01:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'd like to know what he bought.  If he bought a bunch of that Fuente Opus nonsense, I'm done with him.  The original Opus wasn't too much of a ripoff, but all those special ones and that Lost City are ridiculous.  Now if he dropped it on Padron 1926.  Respect.

You don't mean Arturo Fuente, do you?

You may have a point here--if a guy has 12,000 to blow on cigars they'd better be fresh and top o the line.  Show some discernment.

I want to believe the money was not wasted. But it could just be rich guys flaunting it.  When I was in the Gulf I was amazed at how really rich folks created a demand that turned ordinary items like wristwatches into 100,000 dollar power accessories.  When Trump cronies sit down with Trump to badmouth the press while relaxing at Mar a lago, would any want to be seen with a $150 cigar? 

I'm hoping good cigars go to people who can enjoy them.
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions

I wonder if he is from the south?
(11-07-2018, 09:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I definitely have mixed feelings on this, but lean this direction. I'm just concerned about what will come next.

LOL How about Chris Christie??
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/09/donald-trump-says-he-hasnt-talked-acting-bob-mueller/1940490002/

Quote:Donald Trump: 'I don't know Matt Whitaker'

WASHINGTON – Days after appointing Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general and assuring the country that he was capable replacement for the ousted Jeff Sessions, President Donald Trump Friday claimed not to know his new Justice Department chief.

"I don't know Matt Whitaker," Trump said just before departing for France to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. "Matt Whitaker has a great reputation, and that's what I wanted."

Trump's remarks directly contradicted comments he made a month ago when he heaped praise on Whitaker.
"I can tell you Matt Whitaker's a great guy," Trump said in an interview with Fox News. "I mean, I know Matt Whitaker."

The president's most recent comments appeared an attempt to distance himself from Whitaker, as the former Iowa federal prosecutor's past criticisms of Russia special counsel Robert Mueller have drawn new scrutiny since his Wednesday appointment, prompting calls for his recusal from overseeing the inquiry into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

As acting attorney general, Whitaker would oversee the work of Mueller's team, a task that had fallen to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein after Sessions recused himself last year. Despite repeatedly casting doubt on the inquiry, Whitaker, Sessions' former chief of staff, has given no indication that he intends to recuse himself from it while acting attorney general. 

Trump claimed Friday that he had no contact with Whitaker regarding the Russia investigation, which the president has derided as a "witch-hunt."

"I didn't speak to Matt Whitaker about it," Trump told reporters on the White House lawn. 

"When Sessions left, what I did, very simply, is take a man who worked for Sessions," the president said. "He's a highly respected man, especially by law enforcement. And I think he's going to do a great job."

Democrats and some Republicans, citing Whitaker's past criticism of Mueller's inquiry, have expressed serious concerns for the future of the Russia investigation in wake of the Justice leadership shakeup. Meanwhile, legal analysts, both liberal and conservative, have raised questions about Whitaker's very authority to serve as an interim attorney general because he has not been confirmed by the Senate.

Citing the criticism of Whitaker's standing, Trump took aim at Mueller.

“Mueller was not Senate confirmed," Trump said. "Why didn’t they get him Senate confirmed?”

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-09-2018, 03:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/09/donald-trump-says-he-hasnt-talked-acting-bob-mueller/1940490002/

Cool

At this point, I'm more surprised when Trump says things that don't contradict each other. If he's got the same story twice, it makes me think it can't possibly be true, like 'oh, someone wrote this answer down and taped it to his iPhone.'
Whitaker is another crook, scammer.
(11-09-2018, 06:37 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Whitaker is another crook, scammer.

This is going to be interesting. Whitaker is also a grifter with criminal ties and maybe criminal charges hanging over him. That guy is going to be in charge of the FBI?? 

Wonder how the FBI will respond to this. To what degree will they cooperate with the undermining of their autonomy?

The other side of this is he has been on Fox explaining how to shut down the Russia investigation by defunding it. And I'm pretty sure that is how he auditioned for Trump.

I have never seen so many shady/criminal characters who publicly talk about how to obstruct justice--and then are elected or appointed the people's servants.

With a Democratic House, Trump will have trouble publicly requiring personal loyalty from a Justice Department which is supposed to be independent of presidential/political influence.  
So this guy once said only people who follow the New Testament should be judges and led a witch hunt against his state's first openly gay lawmaker over a trivial small claims court business dispute that he tried to argue was extortion.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-12-2018, 01:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So this guy once said only people who follow the New Testament should be judges and led a witch hunt against his state's first openly gay lawmaker over a trivial small claims court business dispute that he tried to argue was extortion.

Wait that leaves out....Ohhhhh
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-12-2018, 01:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So this guy once said only people who follow the New Testament should be judges and led a witch hunt against his state's first openly gay lawmaker over a trivial small claims court business dispute that he tried to argue was extortion.

Isn't that contradicting himself?

There's only a couple references to homosexuality in the NT and all the real condemnation is in the OT. 

Mainly, my issues with him are that he is not qualified and that I side with the opinions that because he is not Senate confirmed he cannot be in the role of a principal officer. Yeah, he's a radical partisan who is, surprisingly, worse than Jeff Sessions when it comes to ideology, but that comes in behind the lack of qualifications and the unconstitutionality of his appointment.

(11-09-2018, 06:37 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Whitaker is another crook, scammer.

At least he's not a skank, amirite?