Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jeremy Hill being a crybaby on Twitter
(04-13-2016, 04:00 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It sounded like neither understood the need for diversification, which any competent Financial Advisor would have explained to them, and that both had dreams of becoming "super rich" after football.  "Super rich" being a relative term, as both made tens of millions during their playing careers...

True, but I can also imagine people with more money than they can fathom (athletes, lottery winners, musicians etc) are easy targets for less than scrupulous financial advisers, too. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but I can also imagine people with more money than they can fathom (athletes, lottery winners, musicians etc) are easy targets for less than scrupulous financial advisers, too. 

Very much so.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 03:06 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Let's be real... a $300k house is not going to put an athlete in the poor house.  That does not buy you much in many areas of the country.

they are buying more than one though... and you dont need a million dollar mansion. because while the purchase wont make you poor you gotta pay taxes every year on it.
Reply/Quote
OP is the only cry baby here. If we "everyday" folk had every god damn thing we did held under a microscope 24/7, I guarantee a lot of people would be whiny little bitches. Jeremy asking to be treated with respect like every human being deserves is not crying at all. I guarantee fans on this forum constantly troll the poor guy about the fumble. Get a life. I don't care how much money anyone makes, that doesn't give others the right to treat them like shit.

Just because you buy tickets to games, cheer for the team, buy merchandise, and are jealous of players' bank accounts doesn't give people the right to bash them. Why people feel the need to trash each other every minute of every day is beyond me. Before someone says something ignorant in reply, this goes well beyond just Jeremy Hill and professional athletes.
Reply/Quote
Most NFL players drafted make around a million dollars in their career (rough estimate). Will all of the wear and tear on their body and risks of serious injury with lifelong effects I would say I have to agree with Hill. Don't get mad that you're working fast food for $8 an hour.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 06:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they are buying more than one though... and you dont need a million dollar mansion. because while the purchase wont make you poor you gotta pay taxes every year on it.

Not only that.  Which is typically why people go through money like water.

They also don't consider having services or employees on payroll, and all of the bills that cost to maintain vehicles, houses and businesses.

The world can take your money real quick if you don't know what you're doing and just basking in the surface luxury.

I don't feel sorry for these guys one bit.  However I do understand why and how it happens.

Can they do without some of these things?  Sure. 

But just like any other competitive base occupation those things are status symbols.

You don't want to be the guy who is driving a Hyundai and living in an average house when everyone else has high luxury vehicles and lives in swanky pads.

It goes from that stuff to jewelry and clothes.  A lot of that stuff is custom and tailor made. 

Which is massively expensive and loses value from day one.

If they are smart, they should be like actors and actresses and get those things for little or nothing by endorsements.

Not sure how the NFL rules are for that though.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've never been paid a million bucks for a year for anything so I can't really speak of how easy it is to keep it or not, but if I did suddenly have a million I probably wouldn't keep most of it anyway. I've never been a money motivated person.
It would make more sense (at least to me) that a player who is paid like that to truly be happy having a job they enjoy doing above the monitary compensation.
I chose to work at jobs I liked doing throughout my working life and the money was almost always a secondary concern. Yes, it was nice when I was well paid and I did leave a few jobs over being paid to little, but I was always happier doing jobs I liked much more than having to put up with other people's crap just for the extra money.
Now I make a few bucks here and there working with wood and wish I had taken it up as a profession years ago, but I truly enjoy doing it whether or not if it pays well and in fact I more often than not lose money with what I do. I've been pennyless and I've made a lot of money. The happiest periods of my life had little of anything to do with the money.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
My favorite quote of the day: "if he holds onto money the way he holds onto the football, he's screwed."

But, anyway, I do think some people are so jealous of the big salaries, they enjoy being disrespectful. I think that's just classless. Hey, they're at the top of their profession, let them roll with it.

On the other hand, this argument that they've got to make it in such a short time is bogus in my view. Who said you should be on easy street by 30 years of age, and live like a king from then on without ever doing anything productive again.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure he'll fumble his future away.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:33 PM)tlotharw Wrote: I'm sure he'll fumble his future away.

I see what you did there.

I read and re-read what he wrote and didn't see anything justifying the label of "crybaby."  Sounded pretty grounded to me.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:08 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: My favorite quote of the day:  "if he holds onto money the way he holds onto the football, he's screwed."

But, anyway, I do think some people are so jealous of the big salaries, they enjoy being disrespectful.  I think that's just classless.  Hey, they're at the top of their profession, let them roll with it.

On the other hand, this argument that they've got to make it in such a short time is bogus in my view.  Who said you should be on easy street by 30 years of age, and live like a king from then on without ever doing anything productive again.

Such is life.  We commoners in America moan about how entitled and rich athletes are (and occasionally get some shameful joy when they fail) without realizing there may be billions of people on this earth who look upon the average American with the same disdain and incredulity.  
Reply/Quote
Really, the only thing that rubs me wrong about his tweet is his perception or expectation that he will never work after football. He can get a job just like everyone else if he needs to. If he's smart he will own a house with no mortgage and be well ahead in the game of life. If he's smart, that iis. I can't remember off the top of my head which player it was, but I read an article on one Pro football player who is well into his career, and states he has never cashed a game check. He lives off his signing bonuses, workout and performance bonuses, and endorsements. He states every game check he has ever received is still in the bank. Now that's a man who is planning for the future.
On edit: went back and checked, it was Marshawn Lynch...
http://www.businessinsider.com/marshawn-lynch-saves-nfl-salary-lives-off-endorsements-2016-2
Reply/Quote
It does amaze me how we dehumanize anyone who is viewed as "famous" or "rich". I don't remember who I was listening to on a podcast, but they made the point that we tend to take away an athletes ability to be human, as if they shouldn't be allowed to act or react a way that another human being might.

Ultimately it seems like we treat a lot of things like they're malicious, when in the long run most things are benign. I probably would have the same reaction to most people if they constantly attacked me just because I had a bigger salary than them. It's not a justification for constant personal attacks.

We're in this spot where people want athletes to be honest, and then we rip them unmercifully when they give an honest answer. It's just a bizarre spot.

Before anyone says "He should stay off of twitter, then!", I highly doubt it's just a social media thing. Yeah, that might be a lot of it, but really it's an anywhere in life thing. If this is the worst thing an athlete ever does, I think it's a win.
Reply/Quote
The money doesn't have to last a lifetime. You can always go get a job like the rest of us. Just because you're a pro athlete doesn't mean you're entitled to be taken care of for life upon retirement.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:08 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: My favorite quote of the day:  "if he holds onto money the way he holds onto the football, he's screwed."

savage
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
All I have to say about Hill is this: He knows that we are generally forgiving fans and we'll do our best to support our players. That said, I hope he has reached the low point of his career because we need a legitimate baller at RB going forward. If he continues this downward spiral then I don't know how they can justify feeding him the ball.
Reply/Quote
All this talk about Jeremy and all im thinking is, somebody had to take the spot of Whipping Boy for the Offense since Dalton balled out last year. Jeremy is filling that role nicely. Maybe he will step it up and Bodine will be the whipping boy again. We just gotta always hate someone!
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:38 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: All this talk about Jeremy and all im thinking is, somebody had to take the spot of Whipping Boy for the Offense since Dalton balled out last year. Jeremy is filling that role nicely. Maybe he will step it up and Bodine will be the whipping boy again. We just gotta always hate someone!

Gio fans have hated Hill since he was drafted because he cuts into Gio's touches. Then you have OSU homers that hate Hill because they wanted Carlos Hyde. Then you also have old school fans who hate Hill for the same reason they hated Chad...because he dances.

In truth, Hill had a very disappointing 2015. Does that mean he's a terrible player though? Na. Hill's biggest problem last year was that he wasn't breaking any long runs. Of the 15 RBs with 200+ carries, Hill was the only one with less than four 20+ yard runs...and Hill only had one 20+ yard run. If Hill continues that trend into '16, then it's time to make plans to draft another back in '17.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 01:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gio fans have hated Hill since he was drafted because he cuts into Gio's touches. Then you have OSU homers that hate Hill because they wanted Carlos Hyde. Then you also have old school fans who hate Hill for the same reason they hated Chad...because he dances.

In truth, Hill had a very disappointing 2015. Does that mean he's a terrible player though? Na. Hill's biggest problem last year was that he wasn't breaking any long runs. Of the 15 RBs with 200+ carries, Hill was the only one with less than four 20+ yard runs...and Hill only had one 20+ yard run. If Hill continues that trend into '16, then it's time to make plans to draft another back in '17.

I think there was also a fairly large contingent who felt he was the second coming of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith all rolled into one.  There were a lot of "we're going to ride Hill all the way to a championship" posts before the 2015 season began.  Those people were probably pretty upset once the season actually started.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:51 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think there was also a fairly large contingent who felt he was the second coming of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith all rolled into one.  There were a lot of "we're going to ride Hill all the way to a championship" posts before the 2015 season began.  Those people were probably pretty upset once the season actually started.

Obviously you're exaggerating a bit. Sure there was excitement over Hill's '14 season (understandably so) and many wanted him to get the majority of carries (understandably so), but most were pretty reasonable about it. I only saw 1 person saying silly crap like "trade Gio", and no one said Hill was Jim Brown, Walter and Emmitt rolled all into one. 

Before Hill ever touched a field for us, people were bashing him because (a) he wasn't Hyde, (b) the off-field concerns and © they didn't want him eating into Gio's touches. The love for Hill didn't come until after his incredible '14 season. Even then, you still had some of the same folks bashing him for fumbles and dancing. I almost feel like Hill's bad '15 campaign was a relief for some of the people who just never wanted to like the guy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote