Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeremy Hill retires
(05-25-2023, 02:07 PM)pally Wrote: He hasn't played a game in the NFL sine 2018.  I think the only one who didn't think he was retired was him

Did you ever really retire if you didn't make a social media farewell post? #GodsPlan
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
All I know is that his fumble was the single most heartbreaking moment of my Bengals fandom. It took me a long long time to get over that one.

I wish him the best, but like others have said, I wish I didn't have to think about that moment ever again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 03:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: "Get what is there then go down" means Marvin wanted to close the distance for the field goal, but not risk a fumble fighting for unneeded yardage. It's really not that hard to understand. If it's there, take it, if it's not go down. A kid playing Pee Wee could understand that instruction. 

OK Knute, So now you're asserting Marvin didn't tell him to "fall down". He wanted him to make a football play. 

As I said, I never understood the venom directed toward him. He was trying to win a game for us. He was rushing at over 5 YPC in that game. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
That fumble by Hill came after a huge high: Burfict's dramatic and seemingly game-sealing interception with 90 seconds left against a hated rival in a playoff game. Roethlisberger injured by a very hard hit by Burfict (if memory serves me correctly) and unable to hardly throw the ball. I was so high that I could hardly contain myself. The Bengals finally had won a playoff game. And it was against Pittsburgh!

And then the fumble. And Pittsburgh fans cheering.

Of course, as painful as this was for us fans, I can't imagine the off-season for a second-year player who had cost his team a playoff win.

It was painful for years. But maybe it was fitting that the playoff drought continued until Burrow, making that first win, on the way to the Super Bowl, so much more special.
Reply/Quote
There are certain players some fans will always be sour on due to their performance in certain big games.

Jeremy Hill is one.
Jermaine Gresham is another.

People got mad about Hill fumbling, but the passing offense should have been way better.
McCarron only 23 completions on 41 attempts for just 212 yards.
Marvin Jones with only 32 yards, Sanu only 17 yards.
McCarron had Green, Eifert, Jones, Sanu, Kroft, Bernard, and Hill for that game.
And it wasn't like the Steelers had a bunch of weapons that got stifled. They had just Brown, who put up 119 yards.
That Steelers game should have been a beatdown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 05:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are certain players some fans will always be sour on due to their performance in certain big games.

Jeremy Hill is one.
Jermaine Gresham is another.

Those fans are only sour on him because 1. He wasn't Rob Gronkowski and 2. Dave Lapham decided to publicly shit-stir to the fans about a guy being "soft" when he needed back surgery.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 11:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ex-bengals-rb-officially-announces-his-retirement/ar-AA1bE7OZ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=45793b872eea45ed9ce110bf250f43eb&ei=7

I never understood the hate he received around here for trying to ice a game.

The game was iced. Turnover was the only thing that could thaw it. You go down at first contact. . They use all their timeouts. You kick a FG if you don’t get a first. They have to score a TD with no timeouts.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 05:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The game was iced. Turnover was the only thing that could thaw it. You go down at first contact. . They use all their timeouts. You kick a FG if you don’t get a first. They have to score a TD with no timeouts.

I seem to remember seeing Jeremy Hill on the sidelines shortly before the fumble and he was really hyped up

Like he and some of the Steeler players were jawing or something that had him in a fierce mindset wanting to 

stick it to the Steelers and beat them down. I'm not sure if Coaches noticed this but I am pretty sure that I thought about this after the game.

I think that Hill's adrenaline and competitive will to finish off the Steelers may have played a part in him not focusing as much on 

ball security as he should have in the moment. 
Reply/Quote
Ehhh If we were to shun every player who let the fans down over the 32 year stretch of terrible Hill wouldn't come in first place of let downs.. Maybe in a few minds, but there was always more than enough blame to go around starting with the very top of the organization down to the very first player to get a pink slip on cut down day. Jeremy Hill definitely wasn't the cause of all of it.. Some of you act like Hill is the cause of cancer and poison ivy and your dog crapping on the floor in the middle of the night.. However, I do blame him for mosquitoes and curly bugs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 05:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The game was iced. Turnover was the only thing that could thaw it. You go down at first contact. . They use all their timeouts. You kick a FG if you don’t get a first. They have to score a TD with no timeouts.

The game was not Iced we needed a 1st down to ice it. It was 1:30 and they had all their T.O.s. Here's a video of Jeremy's run (starts at 1:00) when exactly should he have "fallen down"?

I hate that the kid fumbled as much as anyone, but I'll seldom hate someone for trying. 

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 05:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Those fans are only sour on him because 1. He wasn't Rob Gronkowski and 2. Dave Lapham decided to publicly shit-stir to the fans about a guy being "soft" when he needed back surgery.

The seemingly weekly boneheaded, drive killing penalties and the 11 fumbles in five seasons is why I had no problems watching him leave town.

And to the OP, the reason they handed off to Hill was they still needed a first down to ice the game. He wanted to get it on one play probably because he wanted everybody to pat him on the back for "Icing the game with a monster run." I put him in the same category as that idiot backup TE in GB that lost the NFC Championship game by getting in front of Jordy Nelson, then missing an onsides kick and the guy that he was assigned to block wound up recovering the ball for Seattle.

Hill took one hand off of the ball to lower his shoulder to deliver a blow when all he needed to do was get as far as he can while still in bounds and fall down . . . and then, get this, run the clock down and try again on second down. If he fails, let the clock bleed some more and try again. If any of those three plays has a key block or a defender picking the wrong hole, it's a first down and, with one or two kneel downs, the game is over with Pittsburgh never seeing the ball again.

I was mad at Ossai for awhile . . . but I flat out hated Jeremy Hill and was angry they chose to keep him in Cincy over Rex Burkhead.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Aint salty over Hill. I’m not upset over the fumble either. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. I wish him happiness in his retirement
Reply/Quote
The fumble aside, he ended up having a pretty mediocre career after that promising rookie season.

Needless to say I’m not a fan of players trashing their old team or city. Guys like Hill and WJ3 are dead to me as soon as they start up with that type of stuff. Doesn’t matter if it’s in response to fans giving them shit. Famous athletes need to have thicker skin than that. It’s just a really bad look.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 04:49 PM)wcu Wrote: I wish him the best, but like others have said, I wish I didn't have to think about that moment ever again.

Unfortunately as long as you are a member here and read the forum regularly you will always be reminded of it.   It is rehashed and debated over and over.  It doesn't take much to trigger a discussion of that game.

Bengals player fumbles in a game years later, "Remember when Hill fumbled and lost the 2015 playoff game?"

Bengals player commits a dumb penalty years later, "Remember when Burfict and Jones committed those dumb penalties and cost the Bengals the 2015 playoff game?"

Bengals receiver catches a pass for 15 yards years later,  "15 , that reminds me of the time the Bengals blew the 2015 playoff game."

"I just drove through the Cut in the Hill on my way to the Bengals game.  Remember how Hill fumbled and cost the Bengals the 2015 playoff game?"

Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The game was not Iced we needed a 1st down to ice it. It was 1:30 and they had all their T.O.s. Here's a video of Jeremy's run (starts at 1:00) when exactly should he have "fallen down"?

I hate that the kid fumbled as much as anyone, but I'll seldom hate someone for trying. 

Did you only read a little bit? Also I don’t see a video. They barely got into FG range with three timeouts I think, 30 yards in penalties and 20 extra seconds.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 07:35 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The seemingly weekly boneheaded, drive killing penalties and the 11 fumbles in five seasons is why I had no problems watching him leave town.

And to the OP, the reason they handed off to Hill was they still needed a first down to ice the game. He wanted to get it on one play probably because he wanted everybody to pat him on the back for "Icing the game with a monster run." I put him in the same category as that idiot backup TE in GB that lost the NFC Championship game by getting in front of Jordy Nelson, then missing an onsides kick and the guy that he was assigned to block wound up recovering the ball for Seattle.

Hill took one hand off of the ball to lower his shoulder to deliver a blow when all he needed to do was get as far as he can while still in bounds and fall down . . . and then, get this, run the clock down and try again on second down. If he fails, let the clock bleed some more and try again. If any of those three plays has a key block or a defender picking the wrong hole, it's a first down and, with one or two kneel downs, the game is over with Pittsburgh never seeing the ball again.

I was mad at Ossai for awhile . . . but I flat out hated Jeremy Hill and was angry they chose to keep him in Cincy over Rex Burkhead.
Well as long as you're looking at it with an open mind...

Perhaps it's just me, but:

I don't hate Billups for dropping the int

I don't hate Burfict for the blow on AB

I don't hate Ossai for the late hit 

I'll never hate a player for trying to make a play. Shit is going 1,000 miles an hour out there and nobody sitting behind a keyboard has any idea. 

It's my hope that now that he's officially retired after tearing up his knee and ankle for us, we invite him to be Ruler of the Jungle on game

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 07:35 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The seemingly weekly boneheaded, drive killing penalties and the 11 fumbles in five seasons is why I had no problems watching him leave town.

Honestly most of his problems were mostly Bengals problems. 

I still think there must have been some institutional failings during that time as far as coaching goes. I remember BJGE had 0 fumbles in 4 years at New England, and then he has 5 fumbles (4 lost) in 2 years in Cincinnati. Gresham had 6 lost in his 5 years, and AJ Green had 4 lost in his first 5 years. Gresham went to Arizona and had 2 fumbles (1 lost) in 4 years. AJ Green had 0 fumbles in 2 years in Arizona.

He DID have a penalty problem, but the Bengals had a put-a-TE-1-on-1-against-DEs problem. I have said it for years, even after Gresham left. Putting a TE 1-on-1 against a DE (doubly so for great DEs) and expecting them to do more than chip or crackback is just a failure on the OC's part. You might be able to point to some examples here or there of it working, but you will get burned from it. The Bengals seemed to have the belief that TEs should be able to block DEs 1-on-1 because of Reggie Kelly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well as long as you're looking at it with an open mind...

Perhaps it's just me, but:

I don't hate Billups for dropping the int

I don't hate Burfict for the blow on AB

I don't hate Ossai for the late hit 

I'll never hate a player for trying to make a play. Shit is going 1,000 miles an hour out there and nobody sitting behind a keyboard has any idea. 

It's my hope that now that he's officially retired after tearing up his knee and ankle for us, we invite him to be Ruler of the Jungle on game

LOL, OK.

I don't hate Billups and I've mostly forgiven him. I watched our second baseman drop an easy popup right in front of me which would have secured us a State High School/American Legion Championship and a flight to play in the US Western regionals. Instead it led to a rally and our season ended. I never really got along with him, but I never hated him. It did take me awhile to forgive him, though.

Burfict's hit should have never happened. He had just intercepted the ball and almost secured a win if Jeremy Hill has two hands on the ball, which, after re-watching the play, he never had two hands on the ball during the entire run until it was just slipping out of his grip.

I didn't like the Ossai pick the moment he was drafted. They spent a high third round draft pick on a backup DE when they needed o-line BADLY(Signed Hendrickson and then extended Hubbard shortly after the draft). All that they had secured in the off-season up to that point was Reilly Rieff and Jackson Carman a few hours earlier. Then he misses his entire rookie year and still misses time in his second year before making a very stupid play at the worst time. Meanwhile, lack of o-line depth hurt the Bengals. All Ossai is at this point is a poor man's Carl Lawson, who was drafted in the 4th round. Hate? No. Just another Bengals mistake pick that I just don't care too much about kind of like how most people feel about Drew Sample. Myles Murphy wouldn't have been drafted if they had more faith in their Ossai and Cam Sample mistakes.

And perhaps it's just me, but I never want to see Hill again and definitely not as Ruler Of The Jungle. As far as ex-players, there's 100's of them that I would pick before him for ROTJ. Seeing his childish tantrum on the sidelines on Inside The NFL three days after the fumble told me that I didn't want to see him anywhere near another Bengals player.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153515103339495
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 12:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All he had to do to ice the game was get what was there, fall down and hold onto the ball.....which is exactly what Marvin told him to do. He fumbled because he was fighting for unneeded yards. Personally, I'd like to never hear his name again. 

You are incorrect in falling down would have iced the game.  Steelers had all three timeouts, most likely we take a knee, we kick a FG and Steelers would still receive the kickoff with probably a minute to go.  Now a long shot they would score but it has happen before with less than a minute to go in the NFL,  we needed a 1st down to pretty much ice the game 
Reply/Quote
the one year wonder

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote