Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerry Brown vetoes a bill to allow terminally ill patients to try experimental meds
https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/12/jerry-brown-humanitarian-vetoes-right-to

Seems like this is a no brainier. Let people try whatever they can . The FDA approving drugs is annoying. They shouldn't be the gate keepers on what we can try.
LOL

Then who should? The list of drug company abuses is long. The FDA may be flawed, but at least they're something between companies completely fabricating information and putting people in jeopardy in the name of profit.

The sad part is I'm in favor of right to try legislation. But saying the agency focusing on making sure public health a primary interest shouldn't be entrusted with making sure public health is a primary interest is polarizing and unnecessary.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-12-2015, 11:21 PM)Benton Wrote: LOL

Then who should? The list of drug company abuses is long. The FDA may be flawed, but at least they're something between companies completely fabricating information and putting people in jeopardy in the name of profit.

The sad part is I'm in favor of right to try legislation. But saying the agency focusing on making sure public health a primary interest shouldn't be entrusted with making sure public health is a primary interest is polarizing and unnecessary.

Well there should be the ability to try anything . FDA can approve whatever. But they shouldn't block anyone
I know it feels like I'm anti FDA which I am to an extent . I don't mind them approving . But I also think people deserve to take a chance with their own lives.
(10-12-2015, 11:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well there should be the ability to try anything .  FDA can approve whatever.   But they shouldn't block anyone

So you're in favor of medicinal marijuana?  
(10-12-2015, 11:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well there should be the ability to try anything .  FDA can approve whatever.   But they shouldn't block anyone

To clarify, if you're talking about the terminally ill, I agree. If you're talking about just anybody doing any type of drug, then no.
(10-12-2015, 11:38 PM)Benton Wrote: To clarify, if you're talking about the terminally ill, I agree. If you're talking about just anybody doing any type of drug, then no.

There are people who are not terminally ill whose quality of life could benefit from drugs scheduled inappropriately by the feds. Believe you know what I'm talking about here. 
Hell, I believe the terminally ill should be able to have themselves euthanized so I guess I have to be for them experimenting with potential treatments.
(10-12-2015, 11:38 PM)Benton Wrote: To clarify, if you're talking about the terminally ill, I agree. If you're talking about just anybody doing any type of drug, then no.

Terminally ill yes . There should be no limitations on anything they want to take.

I do think anyone else should be able as well if the drug has been approved in any other country.
(10-12-2015, 11:34 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So you're in favor of medicinal marijuana?  

Ofc I am.  
(10-12-2015, 11:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell, I believe the terminally ill should be able to have themselves euthanized so I guess I have to be for them experimenting with potential treatments.

Yes they should be able to have assisted suicide as well.
(10-12-2015, 11:41 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: There are people who are not terminally ill whose quality of life could benefit from drugs scheduled inappropriately by the feds. Believe you know what I'm talking about here. 

Meth?

Mellow

Srsly, though, I'm in favor of less regulation of naturally occurring treatments. If you've got cancer and pot helps you eat/deal with the pain/etc, then put that stuff in some brownies. 
(10-13-2015, 12:47 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Terminally ill yes .  There should be no limitations on anything they want to take.

I do think anyone else should be able as well if the drug has been approved in any other country.

I don't think allowing people the same freedoms of North Korea or Sudan is the way to go. 
(10-13-2015, 12:54 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't think allowing people the same freedoms of North Korea or Sudan is the way to go. 

its their life. You may not want go there but maybe someone else would, we all have our own lives and take our own risks.
(10-13-2015, 12:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: its their life.   You may not want go there but maybe someone else would, we all have our own lives and take our own risks.

Provided they have all the information, that's one thing. Manipulated... or not conducted... drug trials are another.

I have personal experience with family members going to foreign countries for treatments not yet approved here. I get it. But taking all the controls off is not the answer.
(10-13-2015, 01:02 AM)Benton Wrote: Provided they have all the information, that's one thing. Manipulated... or not conducted... drug trials are another.

I have personal experience with family members going to foreign countries for treatments not yet approved here. I get it. But taking all the controls off is not the answer.

Agreed. I don't want the Wild West. But man they need to loosen the grip.