Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Bates III welcome to the team!
Ball hawking Safety from Wake Forest Univ. Seems like coach Austin was serious about wanting to go to a 3 Safety Nickel package.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I really like this pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ball hawking Safety from Wake Forest Univ.  Seems like coach Austin was serious about wanting to go to a 3 Safety Nickel package.

They wanted an upgrade at safety... interesting they took him over Justin Reid (did Eric Reid play a factor?)

I like the pick, he offers coverage skills that our current safeties don't have.
Reply/Quote
I’m really curious if this means the end for Iloka or Williams.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Love the pick. Great first two picks. And now we get to pick back to back in the 3rd. Would have loved to grab Goedert with our pick instead of trading down, but this is a really good pick.
Reply/Quote
[Image: RxQi.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I’m really curious if this means the end for Iloka or Williams.

The lb/ss hybrid position is getting more popular. We may see all 3 on the field at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I’m really curious if this means the end for Iloka or Williams.

Eh, maybe not just yet.  I'm pretty sure that I read where Austin wants to go to a 3 Safety Nickel package.  Adding Bates for the over the top role would allow either Iloka or Williams to stay closer to the box for more run support.  This addition plays well for Fedj. as well, as he hits like a LB.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We need to create more turnovers on the back end. I hope Bates can accomplish that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Very happy with having a true CF. Did these Bengal really just use high picks on a C and S?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:56 PM)phil413 Wrote: Very happy with having a true CF.  Did these Bengal really just use high picks on a C and S?

I know, pretty weird isn't it?  Smart picks aren't always the sexy ones.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's nice to see the Bengals, with their revamped coaching staff, finally approaching the draft with direction and a purpose. Well done Bengals organization! Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can't help but wonder if Josh Jackson was our pick if he didn't go just before us. I'm glad, I wanted a S,Lb or more help on the OL
Reply/Quote
One pick for Pollack, one pick for Austin. Guessing they go back to OT and then D.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I’m really curious if this means the end for Iloka or Williams.

Doubt it. It has Austin 3 deep safety concept written all over it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ball hawking Safety from Wake Forest Univ.  Seems like coach Austin was serious about wanting to go to a 3 Safety Nickel package.

Trying to find a quality replacement to Reggie Nelson was high on Bengals list.  Austin is like LeBeau in that he was a DB coach long before D Coordinator.  Austin is great at coaching up DB's which is good news for Bates but also all Bengals DB's. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 10:54 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Doubt it. It has Austin 3 deep safety concept written all over it.

I know Austin has talked about 3 safety looks, but there were some rumblings when we were talking to Kurt Coleman. I believe James Rapien, Paul D, and Jim O said that we could move on from one of current starters depending on the draft. Rapien heard rumors that some inside the building haven’t been happy with the way Iloka has played FS.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, maybe not just yet.  I'm pretty sure that I read where Austin wants to go to a 3 Safety Nickel package.  Adding Bates for the over the top role would allow either Iloka or Williams to stay closer to the box for more run support.  This addition plays well for Fedj. as well, as he hits like a LB.

This pic could be more than just stabilizing the position but moving into a transcendent defense.   teams are more often using slot receivers and TEs has main targets.  Having a true Centerfield threat could get you the best out of the other two guys

Iloka flourished with Nelson at free safety game Williams has played pretty well would having to play nickel linebacker although it's a small sample size it was amazing in the Denver game 2 years ago.  I know that sounds like a lot of hype for a second round rookie but he wasn't out of position as much as some of the other guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:20 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I know Austin has talked about 3 safety looks, but there were some rumblings when we were talking to Kurt Coleman. I believe James Rapien, Paul D, and Jim O said that we could move on from one of current starters depending on the draft. Rapien heard rumors that some inside the building haven’t been happy with the way Iloka has played FS.

We lost big play makers in secondary losing Nelson and Hall.  We are now giving up too many 3rd and longs. WE have young depth at CB. This gives us young depth as Safety.  Against Steelers Nelson or Hall always made the big plays to get us the ball back.  Without those 2, we have young CB's, but Safety really needed in Free Agency or Draft. Second Round.  This Austin knows DB about as good as LeBeau. I'm impressed with him coaching under Paterno, Urban Meyer, Harbaugh and other top coaches and him coaching on 3 Super Bowl Defenses with Seahawks, Cardinals and Ravens.  I trust this Super Bowl coach on his defensive sets. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know the backstory as to why Jaylon Smith and Jessie Bates are good friends? They didn't go to the same college, did they play together in HS?
Reply/Quote