Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Acosta
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/09/trump-cnn-white-house-access-980280?fbclid=IwAR1mfXQQRqLWP6GWJhA9Ak7pR5o6RHWhrwy9s2yAcGCj1RILYAUX0Mv1CB0

Trump suggests that Acosta losing his pass was for his history of asking tough questions that are not respectful to the White House and said others could lose their passes for the same reason.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-09-2018, 02:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/09/trump-cnn-white-house-access-980280?fbclid=IwAR1mfXQQRqLWP6GWJhA9Ak7pR5o6RHWhrwy9s2yAcGCj1RILYAUX0Mv1CB0

Trump suggests that Acosta losing his pass was for his history of asking tough questions that are not respectful to the White House and said others could lose their passes for the same reason.

Well that completely changes everything and makes him look MORE petty.

And for DJ Trump to say of someone "I don't think he's a smart person, but he's got a loud voice." just broke my irony meter.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-09-2018, 02:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/09/trump-cnn-white-house-access-980280?fbclid=IwAR1mfXQQRqLWP6GWJhA9Ak7pR5o6RHWhrwy9s2yAcGCj1RILYAUX0Mv1CB0

Ah, so this actually was about silencing the press. Good times.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-09-2018, 02:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ah, so this actually was about silencing the press. Good times.

And he claims the video wasn't doctored...just a close up.  

I don't expect him to know how video editing works or how the truth works sadly.
You know, the more i think about it, the more I blame Trump for this incident. I mean why have a wimpy little female intern try to rip mics from the press when he could hire that dude from Montana to come in and do his dirty work. He loves that guy from Montana and how he handles "enemies of the state".
(11-09-2018, 01:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: Six years ago we were having the same conversation...nothing changes except the party in control.

And the memories of the "This never happened to Obama" crowd.
The presser has hurt Trump as it was a disastrous response to the midterm shellacking. Not sure what Trump supporters spin in this thread is about. They should go back and look at how the last 3 presidents handled the presser after the midterms Clinton/Bush/Obama. Republicans are actually furious with him for the way he melted down. It was another black eye on his presidency.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
If he wants respect he should give it first
People suck

You made assumptions, Trump said nothing about Tough Questions. I already stated Acosta doesn't ask questions, he accuses then tries to turn it into a debate.

"When you're in the White House, this is a very sacred place to me, this is a very special place, you have to treat the White House with respect, you have to treat the presidency with respect," Trump said Friday, adding that he thinks "it's a disgrace" the way Acosta has interacted with press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The word tough is no where in your article you posted.

And don't even act like revoking April Ryan's pass is because of Tough Questions either. She's nothing but a female version of Jim.
(11-09-2018, 03:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the memories of the "This never happened to Obama" crowd.

Right, Obama got hammered no where near as much in 8 years as Trump has been in just 2 years.
Quit trying to play stupid.

(11-09-2018, 03:15 PM)Griever Wrote: If he wants respect he should give it first

That's stupid, Why does one of the most powerful men in the world have to show a reporter any respect?

He's already earned the respect that comes with the title POTUS. You show the POTUS respect and maybe he will show you respect back.

That's the problem with many of these snowflakes today. Take take take.
(11-09-2018, 03:33 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Right, Obama got hammered no where near as much in 8 years as Trump has been in just 2 years.

That's stupid, Why does one of the most powerful men in the world have to show a reporter any respect?

He's already earned the respect that comes with the title POTUS. You show the POTUS respect and maybe he will show you respect back.

Because that is what a human being does.

Trump earned nothing but a title.  People can say the OFFICE deserves respect but he has done virtually nothing to earn HIMSELF any respect.  He's not an emperor.
(11-08-2018, 08:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This one doesn't matter if she can't remember the exact date or how she got home.
It's clearly on video. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the word? We refer to this term as EVIDENCE Tongue

Calm down calm down, I'm messing with ya Tongue

This is good news. We may be able to work together in the future. Wink
(11-09-2018, 03:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because that is what a human being does.

Trump earned nothing but a title.  People can say the OFFICE deserves respect but he has done virtually nothing to earn HIMSELF any respect.  He's not an emperor.

I disagree, he's been fairly tolerant of Jim and April. How many other reporters do you hear where Trump was being that way with on a consistent basis? Sure every now and then someone might ruffle his feathers, but those two have only one purpose at these pressers.

They both keep digging their own graves with their constant combative behavior. Time for them to go and become insignificant. That's the part that's killing both of them. They are both just as much as a narcissist as Trump is.
(11-09-2018, 04:04 PM)Dill Wrote: This is good news. We may be able to work together in the future. Wink

At what expense?

More pork to buy each others sides off in votes? That only hurts us the tax payers.
(11-09-2018, 04:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: At what expense?

More pork to buy each others sides off in votes? That only hurts us the tax payers.

A lot of things hurt us taxpayers.  

My point was I am happy to see a Trump supporter holding forth "evidence" as an important standard in constructing political arguments.
(11-09-2018, 03:24 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You made assumptions, Trump said nothing about Tough Questions. I already stated Acosta doesn't ask questions, he accuses then tries to turn it into a debate.

"When you're in the White House, this is a very sacred place to me, this is a very special place, you have to treat the White House with respect, you have to treat the presidency with respect," Trump said Friday, adding that he thinks "it's a disgrace" the way Acosta has interacted with press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The word tough is no where in your article you posted.

And don't even act like revoking April Ryan's pass is because of Tough Questions either. She's nothing but a female version of Jim.

Trump described their behavior as disrespectful. Their behavior has been asking tough questions. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-09-2018, 04:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I disagree, he's been fairly tolerant of Jim and April. How many other reporters do you hear where Trump was being that way with on a consistent basis? Sure every now and then someone might ruffle his feathers, but those two have only one purpose at these pressers.

They both keep digging their own graves with their constant combative behavior. Time for them to go and become insignificant. That's the part that's killing both of them. They are both just as much as a narcissist as Trump is.

I'm not defending Acosta's behavior the other day or any other time.  I'm saying that Trump rare if ever shows respect to anyone...especially if they disagree with him or challenge him.

He is not a respectful person.  Period.  And simply because he won the election does me he, the person, deserve or earned any respect.

Earned respect is just that...earned.  It comes from his own behavior and how he treats others.  
(11-09-2018, 03:33 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Right, Obama got hammered no where near as much in 8 years as Trump has been in just 2 years.

First point, Obama was a competent president and did not tweet daily personal insults to anyone who disagreed with him. Trump personally and publicly abuses even his own staff and appointees.   Aside from the numerous political/legal missteps which plague this WH, that alone would keep negative stories in the news. Add to that the fact he and his supporters blame the media for reporting what Trump does, not Trump for doing what he does. That is a story too. 

Second, your concept of leadership, and of "respect" for leaders, does not accord with the norms of liberal democracy, where leaders are SERVANTS of the people, transparent government is a standard, and the press represents the interests of the people at press briefings. 

Thus an elected leader, especially of the "free world," is expected to take difficult questions and show respect for the PROCESS even if he does not like an individual reporter.  And he is expected to respect EVERY citizen, regardless of power differential. Dictators like Saddam Hussein or the Shah of Iran or, now, Putin and Kim, DO NOT have to show reporters respect because in their political arenas democratic norms do not prevail. Everyone around the dear leader must show him respect and the press must not ask discomfiting questions or print what the leader doesn't want printed. 

"Power"--and power alone--is respected in dictatorships. Dictators do not therefore lose respect if they personally abuse staff and citizens. They only lose respect if they lose power.  If their incompetence is ever called out, their accusers are immediately defined as enemies and traitors--as in ENEMIES of THE PEOPLE.

You claim Trump has "earned" respect and it "comes with the title."  You don't sound open to the idea that a president can win and election without earning respect, or if he ever had it, can deservedly lose it because of his behavior.

In short, your post implies a president should have dictatorial powers, and our political culture itself should be one in which in which "winning" and "power" are the standards, while civic norms and all that ethics crap are for snowflakes.

It is this rejection of democratic process, ethics and civil norms in favor of "power" which keeps Trump's base behind him and unfazed by his unfitness for leadership in a democracy.
(11-09-2018, 04:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump described their behavior as disrespectful. Their behavior has been asking tough questions. 

Which brings us back to what we really should be talking about, namely how democratic norms are continually and systematically subverted in these (Trump WH) press briefings.

I suggest that is only possible because a large enough segment of the electorate has either moved away from those norms or never sufficiently backed them, so their support for Trump remains unwavering or even increases when his behavior challenges those norms. The disrespect of democracy is part of Trump's appeal for many voters--and the reason some in his own party (to their credit) became "never Trumpers."
(11-09-2018, 04:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I disagree, he's been fairly tolerant of Jim and April. How many other reporters do you hear where Trump was being that way with on a consistent basis? Sure every now and then someone might ruffle his feathers, but those two have only one purpose at these pressers.

So at the press conference, Acosta hadn't even finished his question before Trump was interrupting an dismissing his question. While Acosta's previous behavior doesn't help him any, it is definitely two tangoing there.

This being the first time I ever watched one of Trump's pressers, though, I can say I understand the frustration Acosta and any other reporter may have. The inability of Trump to actually answer a question is more than I had thought previously. When that is combined with his constant double speak at the podium the job of the press pool has to be tremendously difficult.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR