Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Acosta
(11-12-2018, 07:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh and by the way, if you know so much, why didn't you answer what the presser was about and what Jim's question(s) were?

How can the answer to that question--which would expose Trump's answers as rambling off topic, impulsive, error-riddled and deflective--possibly help your defense of Trump's inappropriate behavior?  Shut up and listen when the boss lies? fire "employees" who raise questions?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I know Pat started a thread about the dumbest thing we may read all week, but I think CNN has topped it:

Quote:CNN filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the Trump administration in federal court, demanding that the White House return correspondent Jim Acosta's press credentials, the cable news network announced Tuesday.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/13/cnn-sues-trump-administration-over-jim-acostas-credentials/1986533002/

"You don't give our employee unfettered access to the White House. We'll sue you and file a restraining order"

The Clinton News Network has just jumped the shark.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I remember Acosta doing this too.

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/04/02/jim-acosta-embarrasses-cnn-white-house-easter-egg-roll/
(11-13-2018, 08:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know Pat started a thread about the dumbest thing we may read all week, but I think CNN has topped it:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/13/cnn-sues-trump-administration-over-jim-acostas-credentials/1986533002/

"You don't give our employee unfettered access to the White House. We'll sue you and file a restraining order"

The Clinton News Network has just jumped the shark.

Where did they say your quote? 
(11-13-2018, 09:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Where did they say your quote? 

I was me paraphrasing my view of the issue; that's why I used quotations in that part of the post instead of the quote function used throughout. 

That's the way we do it around here, I'm surprised you didn't already know this.

But to quell further confusion: CNN really doesn't stand for Clinton News Network.

(11-13-2018, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was me paraphrasing my view of the issue; that's why I used quotations in that part of the post instead of the quote function used throughout. 

That's the way we do it around here, I'm surprised you didn't already know this.

But to quell further confusion: CNN really doesn't stand for Clinton News Network.

Ah. Since you had it in quote marks it looked like a quote.

As opposed to trump 'banning reporters because they used multiple syllables and it was confusing.'
(11-13-2018, 09:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Ah. Since you had it in quote marks it looked like a quote.

As opposed to trump 'banning reporters because they used multiple syllables and it was confusing.'

I apologize that the use of paraphrase genuinely confused you into thinking I was giving a direct quote. 

You'll notice earlier in the post I used the quote function and cited the source. This is different than paraphrasing.

Please let me know if I can be of additional "assistance".   

Any thoughts on the content of the subject in the link provided?

(11-13-2018, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I apologize that the use of paraphrase genuinely confused you into thinking I was giving a direct quote. 

You'll notice earlier in the post I used the quote function and cited the source. This is different than paraphrasing.

Please let me know if I can be of additional "assistance".   

Any thoughts on the content of the subject in the link provided?

Oh no confusion. I understand what a quote is and when quotation marks are used. Many folks with at least a middle school education do. 

Not all, obviously, but many.

"Many."
(11-13-2018, 11:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Oh no confusion. I understand what a quote is and when quotation marks are used. Many folks with at least a middle school education do. 

Not all, obviously, but many.

"Many."

K. i appreciate the slur. Simply pointing out my technique in the post you had issue with and that used by others on the board. Not writing my thesis in MLA format.

Any thoughts on the content of the link?

(11-13-2018, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was me paraphrasing my view of the issue; that's why I used quotations in that part of the post instead of the quote function used throughout. 

"We" have been doing it wrong then. One doesn't enclose a paraphrase in quotation marks.

When representing others writing and speech, quotation marks signal exact, word for word of the source.
(11-13-2018, 11:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: K. i appreciate the slur. Simply pointing out my technique in the post you had issue with and that used by others on the board. Not writing my thesis in MLA format.

Any thoughts on the content of the link?

"slur"  lol

But I do agree that a few people will use quotation marks to represent their interpretation of the previous article/quote.

Best to preface it with "In other words" or some such thing, but it makes sense to me even if I disagree with the interpretation.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-14-2018, 12:52 AM)Dill Wrote: "We" have been doing it wrong then. One doesn't enclose a paraphrase in quotation marks.

When representing others writing and speech, quotation marks signal exact, word for word of the source.

Management will be proud of your understanding of language mechanics. 

(11-14-2018, 12:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: "slur"  lol

But I do agree that a few people will use quotation marks to represent their interpretation of the previous article/quote.

Best to preface it with "In other words" or some such thing, but it makes sense to me even if I disagree with the interpretation.

I've just got to learn I suppose. There's no excuse for my elementary use of the quotation marks. Fortunately, management in their unbiased moderation of the functions around here has set me straight.

(11-14-2018, 01:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I've just got to learn I suppose. There's no excuse for my elementary use of the quotation marks. Fortunately, management in their unbiased moderation of the functions around here has set me straight.

Eh, or you could not take it personally.  Just my take.
(11-14-2018, 01:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: Eh, or you could not take it personally.  Just my take.

No doubt, the fault is mine. I'll work on it. 

Well at least I'm not the only one being set straight on my use of quotations:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gqs-serena-williams-cover-sparks-outcry-despite-simple-explanation-214215987.html

Quote:GQ began including women in the 2003, but is receiving flack this week for its use of quotes around the word “woman” on Williams’ cover despite its efforts to explain it beforehand.

** Disclaimer.. my use of the quote feature and the provided link was to illustrate what another source stated.

(11-14-2018, 01:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Management will be proud of your understanding of language mechanics. 

You're welcome.
(11-14-2018, 01:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well at least I'm not the only one being set straight on my use of quotations:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gqs-serena-williams-cover-sparks-outcry-despite-simple-explanation-214215987.html

** Disclaimer.. my use of the quote feature and the provided link was to illustrate what another source stated.

Claimer: when so many recognize when you use common conventions for communication incorrectly, you probably don't need to point out when you are using them correctly. Not a big deal.  You are still a good person.
(11-14-2018, 01:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt, the fault is mine. I'll work on it. 

Well I defended how you wrote what you did.

But for taking it personally? Yes.  Work on that.

[Image: CKX9DxVUYAAecd1.jpg?1493632358]
We are entering a new era of fake news as the official WH account tweets altered videos to attack Acosta. Reports are the fake Acosta video was retweeted 200K times and viewed by over 1 million people. The real one that came out to show the Trump Administration and his supporters spread a altered one was only seen by roughly 175K.

This is dangerous people, and one of the reasons why Trump has his supporters so manipulated and conned. It's dangerous as a society because most of the news they believe is fake. But they don't ever see the receipts that prove it.

As you can see by the reaction of Trump supporters and defenders in this thread, by the time the truth comes out, it's too little too late.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22