Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Harbaugh?
(12-06-2020, 09:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I figure he has to be finished at Michigan.  He has not won a bowl game since 2015.  He is 2-4 this year and only 29-16 since 2016.  He is just 3-8 against OSU and Mich St.

People claim he is hard to get along with, but his NFL resume is incredible.  In just 4 seasons he had 44 regular season wins, 5 post season wins, and a Super Bowl appearance.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I called for Harbaugh years ago.  He's crazy, but he is a good coach.  I think if he was able to spend time on gameplans and such instead of recruiting, he could be really good again.  It is more than a little concerning how his time ended in SF, though.  Seems like players tuned him out after so long.

He is the complete anti-Brown family choice.  He's brash and arrogant.  Something we haven't had around here since Sam Wyche.  

I could never see them hiring him, but it would sure be great theater with his brother in the same division.  I think the NFL would love it.  Bengals will never get a fair game from the NFL, though, and that is likely to make his head explode.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd welcome him with open arms.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I think the team needs to hire a general manager first and let that person bring in the head coach. I know it's not going to happen as long as Mike Brown holds that title.

Clearly Katie and the front office took a risk that appeared logical given McVay's success but that risk was a disaster in hiring Zac Taylor.

They need a football person as general manager and although Duke Tobin is the de facto GM in reality he obviously has some questions regarding his evaluation of talent.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
They need to hire an experienced coordinator. Something with a proven track record.

Zac Taylor was McVay's coffee boy.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 09:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I figure he has to be finished at Michigan.  He has not won a bowl game since 2015.  He is 2-4 this year and only 29-16 since 2016.  He is just 3-8 against OSU and Mich St.

People claim he is hard to get along with, but his NFL resume is incredible.  In just 4 seasons he had 44 regular season wins, 5 post season wins, and a Super Bowl appearance.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Why would we want to hire a coach who is getting embarrassed in College?
He made Michigan who once was part of the 2 in the big 2 little 8 conference and turned them into a team that needs OT to beat Rutgers.

I think he has proven his act is old.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 10:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Totally different situations. Like I previously mentioned, in college coaches have much more on there plates. You don’t have to worry about recruiting in the NFL.

....but in Cincy, ya gotta scout and do way more than most HCs in the NFL. Folks often forget the handcuffs and more hats ya gotta wear to coach here. It's no picnic.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:13 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ....but in Cincy, ya gotta scout and do way more than most HCs in the NFL. Folks often forget the handcuffs and more hats ya gotta wear to coach here. It's no picnic.

That kind of goes against what we’ve heard about Coughlin, Bieniemy and others wanting more control.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 09:58 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Why would we want to hire a coach who is getting embarrassed in College?

Because the Bengals are not a college team and Harbaugh was excellent as an NFL coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That kind of goes against what we’ve heard about Coughlin, Bieniemy and others wanting more control.

The point was, a few of you were saying that recruiting is hindering Harbaugh's ability to game plan and coach. If that's the case, he'll fare no better in Cincy than he has in Ann Arbor.

You don't get personnel control here, and day to day operations, you just get to do the grunt work of a scouting department. I mean, we have 3 scouts. So, I'm sure potential hires are just chomping at the bit to get paid peanuts like Mikey does ....but do three times the work of your peers. Sign me up? I'm thinking....no thanks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 09:37 PM)J24 Wrote: I can't stand the guy personally would rather have a young head coach who knows what they are doing instead of an attention *****.

We tried the young coach routine with ZT. Give me proven experience not some snot nose kid who doesn’t know shit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 11:28 PM)Trademark Wrote: As a Michigan fan, trust me you don't want Jim. He's mediocre

Nah... The program and university just suck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Brown and Harbaugh could not coexist

Harbaugh is too headstrong. So is Brown, but Brown is the owner

It wouldn’t end well
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 09:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the team needs to hire a general manager first and let that person bring in the head coach.  I know it's not going to happen as long as Mike Brown holds that title.  

Clearly Katie and the front office took a risk that appeared logical given McVay's success but that risk was a disaster in hiring Zac Taylor.

They need a football person as general manager and although Duke Tobin is the de facto GM in reality he obviously has some questions regarding his evaluation of talent.

So many of us have been beating that drum since Mike Brown took over.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My in-laws are Niner fans. My one brother-in-law loved that Harbaugh was a hothead because he thought it was entertaining, and the team made it to the SB. But the rest of that family (and me, who can't stand the Niners for obvious historical reasons) thought he mostly a dick, a blowhard, someone who gets too heated sometimes and becomes his own enemy because he's everyone else's.

I think passion and fire are awesome if they can be controlled. I think Harbaugh coming here, as much "fun drama" as it would bring to the NFL, would result in a dumpster fire. I'd pass.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 08:21 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Brown and Harbaugh could not coexist

Harbaugh is too headstrong. So is Brown, but Brown is the owner

It wouldn’t end well

If it ends with Jim stepping over Mike's body on the way out the door, then let's make this happen  ThumbsUp

He'd be an improvement over Zac to be sure, but hell, so might Hue at this point. 

Even if Jim could set his pride aside and ignore the old man's bony fingers on his shoulder 12 hours a day, I, as many other have, would suggest there are better candidates to be had.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 09:58 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Why would we want to hire a coach who is getting embarrassed in College?
He made Michigan who once was part of the 2 in the big 2 little 8 conference and turned them into a team that needs OT to beat Rutgers.

I think he has proven his act is old.
You can't be serious..... NFL and NCAA are 2 totally different beasts...
Reply/Quote
I want Vince Lombardi for our new head coach. Bill Walsh for OC and Bill Belechek for DC.

In the meantime I’m going to hope and pray we get a new owner before I die. That’s the only way we’ll ever see real change with this franchise.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Harbaugh would be at the top of my list.

That said, I don't see him coming to a team that coaches against his brother twice a year. Also, I don't think the Bengals Management would hire a guy with his personality. (They generally hire docile, go with the flow guys.) I also doubt Harbaugh would ever come here without a GM, etc.

I don't think we're a job that you hire a young up-and-coming coach. We need an experienced HC and then hire an OC that's up-and-coming and then an established DC. (Del Rio was too good to be true.)

How ironic is it that Del Rio's defense is who ended up hurting Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 12:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Harbaugh would be at the top of my list.

That said, I don't see him coming to a team that coaches against his brother twice a year. Also, I don't think the Bengals Management would hire a guy with his personality. (They generally hire docile, go with the flow guys.) I also doubt Harbaugh would ever come here without a GM, etc.

I don't think we're a job that you hire a young up-and-coming coach. We need an experienced HC and then hire an OC that's up-and-coming and then an established DC. (Del Rio was too good to be true.)

How ironic is it that Del Rio's defense is who ended up hurting Burrow?

Correction: Jim Turner’s putrid OL hurt Burrow.

Reply/Quote
I'd welcome Captain Comeback!
1. He is a former QB that wasn't super gifted, so he had to use his smarts to have a pretty decent career. I bet he would be a pretty good QB whisperer. Offensive Minded. Hard-nosed AFC North type ballin'.
2. Stanford was all about building from the inside out. Notice the highly recruited / drafted linemen in his years there? For the sake of Burrow, please.
3. He seems to bring balance rather than pass all the time. He understands basic grinding football.
4. I bet he is respected more than ZT and can put a decent coaching staff together.
5. He took over Mike Singletary's same roster and won with it.
Reply/Quote