Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Mora's Past Is The Bengals Present
The Cincinnati Bengals are finally relevant again. They have won the AFC North numerous times over the past 11 years. They have competed for playoff spots, been praised for their quality drafts, and have removed the images of the terrible 90’s. Now, one hurdle remains. It haunts the recent fan base and continues to put the Bengals on the back burner. No playoff wins since 1991.

Marvin Lewis helped make the Bengals relevant again. He transformed the locker room, changed the culture. Yet he has shown time and time again that he can’t get the Bengals to the promise land. Fans may argue that we should keep him because the fear of falling back into the 90’s creeps into their minds.

However, history is repeating itself, and it shows that we should not be afraid to lose Marvin Lewis. Should he be thanked and praised for what he has done? Absolutely. But history shows that sometimes it’s better to move on.

The New Orleans Saints were one of the worst franchises. They had won a mere 90 games in their first nineteen seasons and did not have a winning record in any season during that time. The New Orleans Saints hired a coach named Jim Mora.

Mora revitalized the team and added talent and great coaching. He had players reaching their potential, giving all they had, and the team was winning games in the regular season. By his second season in town, he got them not only a winning record but also a spot in the playoffs, though they were ultimately blown out in their playoff game.

Jim Mora led the Saints to four playoff seasons, but ultimately lost each game. The Saints had to make a decision, and eventually they fired Mora after things started to go downhill. Jim Mora is still the winningest head coach for the Saints with 93 wins in ten seasons. That’s three more than the Saints had their first nineteen seasons.

Jim Mora found a job elsewhere with the Indianapolis Colts. He drafted Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James, for starters. His first season didn’t go so well, but he then led the Colts to the playoffs his second year with them, but yet again they lost. In 2000, it was Mora’s last time reaching the playoffs, and his team lost yet again, dropping Jim Mora’s playoff record to 0-6. That same season, the Saints went on to get their first ever playoff victory.

Mora just couldn’t get his team over the hump. The Colts made a name for themselves after moving on from Mora; they even went on to win the Super Bowl in 2006. While Jim Mora was a good regular season coach, he could never get it done in the playoffs, like Marvin Lewis. The Bengals of the 90’s are no more. That’s over 20 years ago. Marvin Lewis can put together a great team for the regular season, but they can never get over the playoff hump over him.

Jim Mora is extremely identical to Marvin Lewis. Both took over woeful franchises and led them to the playoffs within three years. They both drafted top talent and helped players reach their potential. They both have never won a playoff game. They are both 0-6 in the playoffs. Many can point the finger at players, which in understandable. But the fact is that under Marvin Lewis, it almost always seems like there’s only a few players that showed up, while the rest just play flat.

As Bengals fans, we shouldn’t fear the 90’s. Rather, we should fear a coach who wastes talent year in and year out.  One who can’t get his players over the playoff hump. It’s been 14 years; it’s time to move on. History has shown how this goes by looking at Jim Mora’s career. However, it’s not all doom and gloom. Both the Saints and Colts went on to win playoff games and even Super Bowls. So maybe it’ll take another coach for the Bengals to have that fortune as well.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 07:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals are finally relevant again. They have won the AFC North numerous times over the past 11 years. They have competed for playoff spots, been praised for their quality drafts, and have removed the images of the terrible 90’s. Now, one hurdle remains. It haunts the recent fan base and continues to put the Bengals on the back burner. No playoff wins since 1991.

Marvin Lewis helped make the Bengals relevant again. He transformed the locker room, changed the culture. Yet he has shown time and time again that he can’t get the Bengals to the promise land. Fans may argue that we should keep him because the fear of falling back into the 90’s creeps into their minds.

However, history is repeating itself, and it shows that we should not be afraid to lose Marvin Lewis. Should he be thanked and praised for what he has done? Absolutely. But history shows that sometimes it’s better to move on.

The New Orleans Saints were one of the worst franchises. They had won a mere 90 games in their first nineteen seasons and did not have a winning record in any season during that time. The New Orleans Saints hired a coach named Jim Mora.

Mora revitalized the team and added talent and great coaching. He had players reaching their potential, giving all they had, and the team was winning games in the regular season. By his second season in town, he got them not only a winning record but also a spot in the playoffs, though they were ultimately blown out in their playoff game.

Jim Mora led the Saints to four playoff seasons, but ultimately lost each game. The Saints had to make a decision, and eventually they fired Mora after things started to go downhill. Jim Mora is still the winningest head coach for the Saints with 93 wins in ten seasons. That’s three more than the Saints had their first nineteen seasons.

Jim Mora found a job elsewhere with the Indianapolis Colts. He drafted Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James, for starters. His first season didn’t go so well, but he then led the Colts to the playoffs his second year with them, but yet again they lost. In 2000, it was Mora’s last time reaching the playoffs, and his team lost yet again, dropping Jim Mora’s playoff record to 0-6. That same season, the Saints went on to get their first ever playoff victory.

Mora just couldn’t get his team over the hump. The Colts made a name for themselves after moving on from Mora; they even went on to win the Super Bowl in 2006. While Jim Mora was a good regular season coach, he could never get it done in the playoffs, like Marvin Lewis. The Bengals of the 90’s are no more. That’s over 20 years ago. Marvin Lewis can put together a great team for the regular season, but they can never get over the playoff hump over him.

Jim Mora is extremely identical to Marvin Lewis. Both took over woeful franchises and led them to the playoffs within three years. They both drafted top talent and helped players reach their potential. They both have never won a playoff game. They are both 0-6 in the playoffs. Many can point the finger at players, which in understandable. But the fact is that under Marvin Lewis, it almost always seems like there’s only a few players that showed up, while the rest just play flat.

As Bengals fans, we shouldn’t fear the 90’s. Rather, we should fear a coach who wastes talent year in and year out.  One who can’t get his players over the playoff hump. It’s been 14 years; it’s time to move on. History has shown how this goes by looking at Jim Mora’s career. However, it’s not all doom and gloom. Both the Saints and Colts went on to win playoff games and even Super Bowls. So maybe it’ll take another coach for the Bengals to have that fortune as well.

This belong in the Marvin Lewis mega thread.

There is only one person that matters whether they like Lewis or not and I doubt that he frequent these forums.

What anyone thinks in here doesn't make a bit of difference.
Reply/Quote
excellent post and I am glad it is posted here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wolf is a good writer, and is able to express what many of us have been trying to say, only much more effortlessly and eloquently.

Great post, Wolf. There is a reason that you're a published writer, and we all just post stuff on here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nice post.....but Mora resigned from the Saints  Wink .

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nice post.....but Mora resigned from the Saints  Wink .

Well, that is the public word.  But, was he pressured?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:09 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: This belong in the Marvin Lewis mega thread.

There is only one person that matters whether they like Lewis or not and I doubt that he frequent these forums.

What anyone thinks in here doesn't make a bit of difference.

Forum*
It does, but people continue to post Andy Dalton threads and I felt this was a coherent thread and post that Jungle Noise could actually read without it being just another troll thread.

(12-20-2016, 08:11 PM)bengals67 Wrote: excellent post and I am glad it is posted here.

Thank you

(12-20-2016, 08:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wolf is a good writer, and is able to express what many of us have been trying to say, only much more effortlessly and eloquently.

Great post, Wolf.  There is a reason that you're a published writer, and we all just post stuff on here.

Actually this one took me awhile. I have had a lot of road blocks along the way with writing. I do miss it being my part time job and working for Sports Illustrated gave me numerous opportunities.

(12-20-2016, 08:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nice post.....but Mora resigned from the Saints  Wink .

You are correct. I should have better explained that.
To my understanding, the Saints were hoping to bring in Jimmy Johnson over Jim Mora, but Jimmy Johnson never answered so they allowed Mora to play out his final year. It was widely believed he would have been fired. I messed up on that part.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, that is the public word.  But, was he pressured?

No....he was actually growing frustrated with the way things were being run in NOLA and quit.....rather famously driving off in his Benz....during his last season.  I don't remember 100%....but I think GM Jim Finks had been let go.  Finks hired Mora after Bum Phillips resigned....and helped Mora build the team.  I followed the Saints almost as closely as the Bengals back then.  One....classic underdog.....two.....they played in the division of those damned 49ers !  I actually have a poster of The Dome Patrol Defense to this day.......Swilling...Mills......Johnson.....and Jackson.  Jeff Blake too. LOL

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Forum*
It does, but people continue to post Andy Dalton threads and I felt this was a coherent thread and post that Jungle Noise could actually read without it being just another troll thread.

Thank you

Actually this one took me awhile. I have had a lot of road blocks along the way with writing. I do miss it being my part time job and working for Sports Illustrated gave me numerous opportunities.

You are correct. I should have better explained that.
To my understanding, the Saints were hoping to bring in Jimmy Johnson over Jim Mora, but Jimmy Johnson never answered so they allowed Mora to play out his final year. It was widely believed he would have been fired. I messed up on that part.

No worries....still spot on.  A few of us have made this comparison and been shunned for it.  You stated it beautifully.

Reply/Quote
Great post I think Marvin has done all he possibly can with this team,the time has come for a change,Paul Alexander,Paulie g and some of these other coaches can go with him..To often we've played it safe under this regime we need somebody with a set of brass
Reply/Quote
Excellent post Wolf!
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
Only if marvin would resign
Reply/Quote

And they only had 2 winning seasons in the 9 years after he left.

Mora went 24-32 and missed the playoffs 3 straight years before parting ways with the Saints.  He went 6-10 the year the Colts fired him.  I have defended Marvin as long as he took us to the playoffs.  Too many people around here are spoiled and act like it is easy to make the playoffs.  But after this losing season I think Marvin should be replaced.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: No....he was actually growing frustrated with the way things were being run in NOLA and quit.....rather famously driving off in his Benz....during his last season.  I don't remember 100%....but I think GM Jim Finks had been let go.  Finks hired Mora after Bum Phillips resigned....and helped Mora build the team.  I followed the Saints almost as closely as the Bengals back then.  One....classic underdog.....two.....they played in the division of those damned 49ers !  I actually have a poster of The Dome Patrol Defense to this day.......Swilling...Mills......Johnson.....and Jackson.  Jeff Blake too. LOL

Poor Blake. The Bengals could never give him a run game or defense, and ultimately they used him as a scapegoat while benching him repeatedly. He gets on with the Saints, leads them to their most exciting season in years, and gets Wally Pipped. 

(12-21-2016, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And they only had 2 winning seasons in the 9 years after he left.

Mora went 24-32 and missed the playoffs 3 straight years before parting ways with the Saints.  He went 6-10 the year the Colts fired him.  I have defended Marvin as long as he took us to the playoffs.  Too many people around here are spoiled and act like it is easy to make the playoffs.  But after this losing season I think Marvin should be replaced.

Why do you think Marv should be replaced for one losing season after making 5 consecutive playoff trips?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And they only had 2 winning seasons in the 9 years after he left.

When Marvin goes...it's likely Guenther, Coyle, or some other HC with ties to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Marvin goes...it's likely Guenther, Coyle, or some other HC with ties to the Bengals.

Or, even a guy like Vance Joseph.  That dude just strikes me as a professional who has his shit together.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Marvin goes...it's likely Guenther, Coyle, or some other HC with ties to the Bengals.

These guys have no business being coordinators, much less a HC.  It pains me to say I'd rather have Marvin than any of these guys.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Poor Blake. The Bengals could never give him a run game or defense, and ultimately they used him as a scapegoat while benching him repeatedly. He gets on with the Saints, leads them to their most exciting season in years, and gets Wally Pipped. 

Why do you think Marv should be replaced for one losing season after making 5 consecutive playoff trips?
Because, he always loses. Good grief, Charlie Brown! 

We have had the same criticisms of him for several years and he NEVER gets any better. We demand that Dalton, and other players, demonstrate improvement each year, but NOT Marvy.  Why is that? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 09:51 PM)Derrick Wrote: Because, he always loses. Good grief, Charlie Brown! 

We have had the same criticisms of him for several years and he NEVER gets any better. We demand that Dalton, and other players, demonstrate improvement each year, but NOT Marvy.  Why is that? Shocked

I was using Fred arguments against Fred. He used to boast about how great 5 straight playoff trips was (regardless of end result), yet he's now seen enough after one down season that followed a supposedly great run? Makes no sense to me, and I take it as an admission by Fred that the 0-7 playoff record should be a factor in Marv's possible firing.

I'm with you. I want Marv replaced and have (again) since the Chargers debacle in 2013.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why do you think Marv should be replaced for one losing season after making 5 consecutive playoff trips?

Because the team got worse, had a losing record, and missed the playoffs.
Reply/Quote