Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jim O - Expect Bengals to have about $15 mill for open FA market
Just saw our guy Jim Owczarski post an article that we should expect the Bengals to spend no more than around $15 mill on the open FA market. This includes Bengals about to hit FA that could be re-signed (e.g. Andre, Huber, Bodine, etc).

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-how-much-team-spend-nfl-free-agency/413350002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 07:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw our guy Jim Owczarski post an article that we should expect the Bengals to spend no more than around $15 mill on the open FA market.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-how-much-team-spend-nfl-free-agency/413350002/

He is usually correct too.

A couple late round picks for Cordy Glenn then please...

And Gerald Hodges SAM backer.
Reply/Quote
We need to cut Michael Johnson to save more $$$$ or strictly play him at DT, Ive seen enough of him as a DE esp for the money he's making.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Meaning they won’t do much as always. Typical Bengals, why I continue to support this team is beyond me
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
So we'll probably sign a couple bargin bin guys on the last day or two of free agency as usual ?
Reply/Quote
Surprised this hasnt come from Hobspin first.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_mdkk01J3TB1r35ojdo1_500.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Better spend it wisely

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It's not nearly as bad as some are making it out. That 15M is what they have to spend, in addition to the 10.6M in rollover money to be used for extending guys like Geno or Carlos.

They already spent 3M on Chris Baker. How they choose to spend the other 15M should give us a good indication on what direction they are going to go in the draft.

I will add that not picking up the option on Adam Jones was a smart money move, and would like to see MJ released and his salary pumped back into the FA spending pool.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Gee, it all sounds familiar. It is just hard to comprehend how firmly they cling to their methods in spite of no evidence in support thereof. Look, I know that there is no chance I can ever desert this team. Maybe the same mysterious force that grips me, makes Mike cling to his ways.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:09 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Gee, it all sounds familiar.  It is just hard to comprehend how firmly they cling to their methods in spite of no evidence in support thereof.  Look, I know that there is no chance I can ever desert this team. Maybe the same mysterious force that grips me, makes Mike cling to his ways.

What would you have them do?  There is only so much money available to be spent.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 07:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw our guy Jim Owczarski post an article that we should expect the Bengals to spend no more than around $15 mill on the open FA market. This includes Bengals about to hit FA that could be re-signed (e.g. Andre, Huber, Bodine, etc).

Funny how their numbers never seem to match the numbers from the outside.  Spotrac says:

Cap Space (w/All) $35,380,443

What gives?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:19 PM)McC Wrote: Funny how their numbers never seem to match the numbers from the outside.  Spotrac says:

Cap Space (w/All) $35,380,443

What gives?

Spotrac estimates nearly $9 mill reserved for draft picks. About $2-$5 mill will be reserved for injuries. Also a good amount reserved for extensions of Dunlap, Atkins, Dennard, and/or Kroft.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Same ole nonsense, different year. This team will never learn.
Reply/Quote
The 15m number shouldn't be surprising, as this is the 3rd straight year it's been put out there.

Just last year: 'The Bengals figure to have about $15 million to spend' - Hobson
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Spotrac estimates nearly $9 mill reserved for draft picks. About $2-$5 mill will be reserved for injuries. Also a good amount reserved for extensions of Dunlap, Atkins, Dennard, and/or Kroft.

With 11 draft picks, 9M seems a little low.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What's new. In the mean time teams that have 9m to spend according to websites, will somehow sign their rookies, have some left over for injury's and have the funds to pay draft picks, yet they'll clean up in free agency. We have 39m according to those sites and all we can afford is a tackle who would be out of the league if it wasn't for signing with the Bengals and the worse center in the league.

The Bengals and Mike Brown are mocked in league and fan circles for a reason. A legit one.

Marvin had to come back. He and Mike Brown know it. This isn't a place that can attract up and coming coaches. Or free agents without checkered backgrounds for that matter.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
IMHO things left to be done before FA:

1) 15 million to spend, ok I do this: to add @ 4 million more.

-dump Vinny Ray (2.7)
-Restructure Mike Johnson's deal

Our FA's

-only resign Chris Smith. I let the others walk or wait til FA is almost over to sign them back, don't bid against ourselves.

Extend:

1) Tyler Kroft
2) one of Dunlop or Atkins

Outside FA's
1) LB
2) OT
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 07:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So we'll probably sign a couple bargin bin guys on the last day or two of free agency as usual ?
You sound like me, a love/hate relationship with the team. They try their best to lose fans but some of us are a gluten for punishment.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 09:01 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: IMHO things left to be done before FA:

1) 15 million to spend, ok I do this: to add @ 4 million more.

-dump Vinny Ray (2.7)
-Restructure Mike Johnson's deal

Our FA's

-only resign Chris Smith. I let the others walk or wait til FA is almost over to sign them back, don't bid against ourselves.

Extend:

1) Tyler Kroft
2) one of Dunlop or Atkins

Outside FA's
1) LB
2) OT

You'd really want to dump our best and most experienced backup LB?  Heck, the guy doesn't even cost that much, and in a pinch he can play any of the 3 spots.  I wouldn't let go of Rey, until I knew for sure that we had a competent player to replace him.

I'd be more on board with dumping MJ altogether, signing Chris Smith back, and letting him and Willis handle the role.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote