Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner is our new OL Coach
(02-15-2019, 02:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Listen, I'm sure this world is full of people who look to be outraged and offended by everything, but I'm not one of them.  I have no ill will towards people who think "being a d-bag" is some sort of badge of honor, I really don't.  

Hell, I'll even go so far as to admit that I like a lot of things that do offend people.  I always root for the Patriots once it's clear the Bengals aren't going to win anything because it makes Steeler fans cry such delightful tears.  I would always jokingly root for the guy waving the Iraqi or USSR flag to beat Hulk Hogan.  I wanted so badly for Wile Coyote to catch and eat the Roadrunner, and so on.  I'm a Bengals fan and I'm from Pittsburgh...so I clearly have a certain zeal for going against the grain.

All I'm saying is that the whole "watch me offend people!" mantra just reminds me too much of high school and that table where the crazy and gross kids sat.  The ones who would chew with their mouths open, or eat stuff off the floor, or fart and wave it in other people's faces because it made upright squares upset.  So, people can be as offensive as they like, but I'm free to find the whole thing a little pathetic and sad, too.

Bottom line, if this guy can actually make our o-line better he can buy as many dildos as he like.  

I will judge the guy on the job he does.

Everyone is so offended by everything today and i just don't care anymore.

I honestly think some people need to stop apologizing for being human while POS are judging them quite often.

Let the one without sin cast the first stone.

Let this guy do his job and we can judge it to the best of our ability. He has learned from good company in Mike Sherman.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will judge the guy on the job he does.

Everyone is so offended by everything today and i just don't care anymore.

I honestly think some people need to stop apologizing for being human while POS are judging them quite often.

Let the one without sin cast the first stone.

Let this guy do his job and we can judge it to the best of our ability. He has learned from good company in Mike Sherman.

I agree with your take on the coach, but I still don't understand where people get the idea that people being offended by stuff is some sort of new thing.  You do realize that back in the "good ol days before everyone got offended so easily" that people were freaking out at the concept of Elvis dancing on television and Lucy and Ricky sleeping in the same bed, right?

As for Jim Turner, I'm neither offended, nor impressed by the scandalous aspects of his resume.

EDIT - Listen, I'll play devil's advocate and I'll take any side for the sake of a debate, but I'm not sure why people are assuming that I'm offended by Jim Turner and/or don't want him here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 03:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree with your take on the coach, but I still don't understand where people get the idea that people being offended by stuff is some sort of new thing.  You do realize that back in the "good ol days before everyone got offended so easily" that people were freaking out at the concept of Elvis dancing on television and Lucy and Ricky sleeping in the same bed, right?

As for Jim Turner, I'm neither offended, nor impressed by the scandalous aspects of his resume.

EDIT - Listen, I'll play devil's advocate and I'll take any side for the sake of a debate, but I'm not sure why people are assuming that I'm offended by Jim Turner and/or don't want him here.

I get what you are saying it is just nowadays everyone is on facebook and crying about teams named the Indians and Redskins and stuff like this. People get fired for talking about someone painting their face black for Halloween for a costume of a famous black guy. I mean some of this stuff could be taken as a token of respect and instead people just take everything so serious today.

Jerry Seinfeld says he cannot even do jokes now at colleges cause the young people of today have no sense of humor.

BTW, i am not assuming that of you about Turner.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 02:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Listen, I'm sure this world is full of people who look to be outraged and offended by everything, but I'm not one of them.  I have no ill will towards people who think "being a d-bag" is some sort of badge of honor, I really don't.  

Hell, I'll even go so far as to admit that I like a lot of things that do offend people.  I always root for the Patriots once it's clear the Bengals aren't going to win anything because it makes Steeler fans cry such delightful tears.  I would always jokingly root for the guy waving the Iraqi or USSR flag to beat Hulk Hogan.  I wanted so badly for Wile Coyote to catch and eat the Roadrunner, and so on.  I'm a Bengals fan and I'm from Pittsburgh...so I clearly have a certain zeal for going against the grain.

All I'm saying is that the whole "watch me offend people!" mantra just reminds me too much of high school and that table where the crazy and gross kids sat.  The ones who would chew with their mouths open, or eat stuff off the floor, or fart and wave it in other people's faces because it made upright squares upset.  So, people can be as offensive as they like, but I'm free to find the whole thing a little pathetic and sad, too.

Bottom line, if this guy can actually make our o-line better he can buy as many dildos as he like.  
Not defending any behavior in any way.  But isn't the guy just guilty of some homophobia and a really bad sense of humor?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I get what you are saying it is just nowadays everyone is on facebook and crying about teams named the Indians and Redskins and stuff like this. People get fired for talking about someone painting their face black for Halloween for a costume of a famous black guy. I mean some of this stuff could be taken as a token of respect and instead people just take everything so serious today.

Jerry Seinfeld says he cannot even do jokes now at colleges cause the young people of today have no sense of humor.

BTW, i am not assuming that of you about Turner.

Jerry Seinfeld is lucky social media wasn't around when he was in his 30s and dating a high school girl. 

Anywho, just because people whine on social media now doesn't mean outrage is a modern thing.  People used to be scared of rock n roll, the Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, and the foul language in Gone With the Wind.  Ain't nothing new. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 04:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Jerry Seinfeld is lucky social media wasn't around when he was in his 30s and dating a high school girl. 

Anywho, just because people whine on social media now doesn't mean outrage is a modern thing.  People used to be scared of rock n roll, the Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, and the foul language in Gone With the Wind.  Ain't nothing new . 

Long hair on men, beards, men with earrings, women in pants, sex before marriage, unwed mothers...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 04:07 PM)McC Wrote: Long hair on men, beards, men with earrings, women in pants, sex before marriage, unwed mothers...

Geez, no wonder society has gone to hell! Also, this sounds like a deleted verse of "We Didn't Start the Fire."

(02-15-2019, 04:01 PM)McC Wrote: Not defending any behavior in any way.  But isn't the guy just guilty of some homophobia and a really bad sense of humor?

That's pretty much the stance I'm taking, too.  I'm not throwing a fit that he did those things (though, I'll admit I'm a straight white male, so that may have something to do with my amazing ability to not get offended by this guy), but I'm not impressed that he did it either.  

The part of this hire that has me the most skeptical is the fact that Zac Taylor and Jim Turner are tangentially related.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 04:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Geez, no wonder society has gone to hell!  Also, this sounds like a deleted verse of "We Didn't Start the Fire."

That's pretty much the stance I'm taking, too.  I'm not throwing a fit that he did those things (though, I'll admit I'm a straight white male, so that may have something to do with my amazing ability to not get offended by this guy), but I'm not impressed that he did it either.  

The part of this hire that has me the most skeptical is the fact that Zac Taylor and Jim Turner are tangentially related.

people can only offend you if you let them......   is what ive always been told.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 04:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Geez, no wonder society has gone to hell!  Also, this sounds like a deleted verse of "We Didn't Start the Fire."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure outrage has always been a part of the human condition.  I bet there were things that shocked and outraged cavemen.  There just were never so many ways to express it publicly as there are now.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 04:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Jerry Seinfeld is lucky social media wasn't around when he was in his 30s and dating a high school girl. 

Anywho, just because people whine on social media now doesn't mean outrage is a modern thing.  People used to be scared of rock n roll, the Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, and the foul language in Gone With the Wind.  Ain't nothing new. 

Yeah, Jerry would never be where he is if there was social media around back then.

Lots of people have been destroyed by the disease lol

I agree with you though, nothing new.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 04:15 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, I'm pretty sure outrage has always been a part of the human condition.  I bet there were things that shocked and outraged cavemen.  There just were never so many ways to express it publicly as there are now.

or so many ways to the common man to show how stupid he is via video.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 06:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: or so many ways to the common man to show how stupid he is via video.

Ain't that the truth.

Reply/Quote
So, I wonder if Coach Turner has completed his roster evaluation, and put together his plan to rebuild? I mean, the evaluation part shouldn't have taken long, there are currently what, 4 OL under contract? (Glenn, Boling, Price, Westerman)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, I wonder if Coach Turner has completed his roster evaluation, and put together his plan to rebuild?  I mean, the evaluation part shouldn't have taken long, there are currently what, 4 OL under contract?  (Glenn, Boling, Price, Westerman)

Start those 4 and add a RT somehow. Jawaun James would be nice. Man would that free up the draft, IF we could sign James.

I'd love to be able to take a dynamic WR in the 1st Round...but we just have too many other needs at LB and OLine.

We probably need another starting Guard. The chances that 2 offensive line coaches pass on Westerman starting with him being really good are fairly low I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Start those 4 and add a RT somehow. Jawaun James would be nice. Man would that free up the draft, IF we could sign James.

I'd love to be able to take a dynamic WR in the 1st Round...but we just have too many other needs at LB and OLine.

We probably need another starting Guard. The chances that 2 offensive line coaches pass on Westerman starting with him being really good are fairly low I'd say.

I just can't get past the fact that when Westerman played, he played well.  To me, that is the deciding factor.

And we still don't know what we may have in Rod Taylor.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:27 PM)McC Wrote: I just can't get past the fact that when Westerman played, he played well.  To me, that is the deciding factor.

Good catch, I forgot about him.  I guess that makes 5 OL.  Don't teams typically keep 10 on a 53 man roster?  (4 OT, 6 interior)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good catch, I forgot about him.  I guess that makes 5 OL.  Don't teams typically keep 10 on a 53 man roster?  (4 OT, 6 interior)

Sounds about right

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:27 PM)McC Wrote: I just can't get past the fact that when Westerman played, he played well.  To me, that is the deciding factor.

Westerman graded out very well in limited snaps.

I started threads calling for him to start...and it seems like most people said Trust the Coaches. If he were good, he'd start.

I don't get it. Redmond was pretty bad this year at Guard and Hopkins was VERY BAD at Guard last year. (As a Center though, I'd be happy to have him as a backup.)
Reply/Quote

If anything really made me question Pollack it was that Redmond continually started over Westerman while playing terrible. Can it honestly be that hard to switch from LG to RG? I mean, with Boling's versatility there are ways to get Westerman on the field at LG if we have to. Boling can play like every position on the Line, just wondering why we have never used this to our advantage to get the best 5 Lineman on the field.

(02-17-2019, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Westerman graded out very well in limited snaps.

I started threads calling for him to start...and it seems like most people said Trust the Coaches. If he were good, he'd start.

I don't get it. Redmond was pretty bad this year at Guard and Hopkins was VERY BAD at Guard last year. (As a Center though, I'd be happy to have him as a backup.)

Was right with you as you know Pistons wanting Westerman to start.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 03:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If anything really made me question Pollack it was that Redmond continually started over Westerman while playing terrible. Can it honestly be that hard to switch from LG to RG? I mean, with Boling's versatility there are ways to get Westerman on the field at LG if we have to. Boling can play like every position on the Line, just wondering why we have never used this to our advantage to get the best 5 Lineman on the field.

Was right with you as you know Pistons wanting Westerman to start.

I know people really liked Pollack because of his results in Dallas...

But he inherited some All-Pro lineman there and I think they had like 4 really great lineman. Boling, who was our best lineman would have been lucky to start there.

I don't know that he had to come in and do much assessment and development as they were already great.
Reply/Quote