Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Dilemma
So, this starts off with me knowing something I shouldn't, and that is a coworker of mine is getting a raise. This is of course interesting to me because her workload and number of employees has decreased. Her employees are now mine and thus, my workload has increased. I haven't had my yearly review as of yet, so for all I know I could be getting a raise as well. This review should be occurring next week some time.

Now, the largest raise they can give me is 10%. However, there is a job opening in another area of finance where I would be making $10-15k more a year. I'm fully qualified for the job and get along fine with everyone across the street (as we refer to it). The potential raise here would not come near what I would get in the other position.

My problem is I kind of want to wait and find out what will happen here because this job is more convenient in a number of ways and while I get along with people over there, the particular department is full of people that I get along with, but don't really like all that much. I also would not be happy leaving some people here to deal with the aftermath. I'm sort of letting my concerns for them be a bit self-destructive.

Anyway, I just kind of wanted to type this all out because, well, I don't really know how to proceed at this point. Resume is polished, cover letter is written, and application is filled out. It's just a matter of submitting it all.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 02:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this starts off with me knowing something I shouldn't, and that is a coworker of mine is getting a raise. This is of course interesting to me because her workload and number of employees has decreased. Her employees are now mine and thus, my workload has increased. I haven't had my yearly review as of yet, so for all I know I could be getting a raise as well. This review should be occurring next week some time.

Now, the largest raise they can give me is 10%. However, there is a job opening in another area of finance where I would be making $10-15k more a year. I'm fully qualified for the job and get along fine with everyone across the street (as we refer to it). The potential raise here would not come near what I would get in the other position.

My problem is I kind of want to wait and find out what will happen here because this job is more convenient in a number of ways and while I get along with people over there, the particular department is full of people that I get along with, but don't really like all that much. I also would not be happy leaving some people here to deal with the aftermath. I'm sort of letting my concerns for them be a bit self-destructive.

Anyway, I just kind of wanted to type this all out because, well, I don't really know how to proceed at this point. Resume is polished, cover letter is written, and application is filled out. It's just a matter of submitting it all.

Take care of you and yours.  if the people you're leaving behind are friends, they'll be happy for you.  If they're not friends, you'll find out soon enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 02:57 PM)Stewy Wrote: Take care of you and yours.  if the people you're leaving behind are friends, they'll be happy for you.  If they're not friends, you'll find out soon enough.

True enough. I'm thinking I might still wait until after my evaluation to apply. It should happen before the review date for the open position and I'd rather not the higher ups in my department catch wind of it before then.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
What Stewy said.

All I would add is that "friends" from work usually come and go with a pretty good regularity. Maybe it's just the industry I'm in and the fact we all move around every few years. I stayed in my first assignment for six years because I didn't want them to deal with the aftermath of me leaving. I did, they survived. Now that I realized that, I don't feel so bad when it's time to move on.
Reply/Quote
Buy new friends with beer and food from the raise...../thread
Reply/Quote
Take the money and run.

You need to maximize your income anytime your able. You never what life will throw at you.

You work so your life is better.
Reply/Quote
If you know that you're going to get along with everyone else at the new place, then you should take the new job. The pay difference is significant and that's way too hard to ignore.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I do find it interesting the continued friend idea. I don't really consider anyone here at work a friend (I truly have no friends, just my wife and my parents). I guess my concerns are more about the fact that I will still have to work with some of them if I were to get the other job. Even if I didn't they would find out whether or not I said they could be contacted, which could have some problems.

I have a bad habit of giving more than I can afford. Whether it be time, resources, or what have you. This is just another manifestation of that.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 02:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this starts off with me knowing something I shouldn't, and that is a coworker of mine is getting a raise. This is of course interesting to me because her workload and number of employees has decreased. Her employees are now mine and thus, my workload has increased. I haven't had my yearly review as of yet, so for all I know I could be getting a raise as well. This review should be occurring next week some time.

Submit. Hopefully get: paid. Don't look back.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 02:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this starts off with me knowing something I shouldn't, and that is a coworker of mine is getting a raise. This is of course interesting to me because her workload and number of employees has decreased. Her employees are now mine and thus, my workload has increased.

Translation...she is hot and has a nice rack...you, not so much.
Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_m14yfs77oL1rrl1eso1_500.gif]
Reply/Quote
Go with your heart. Sometimes being content in your current position makes for a happier life than the next position up the ladder.
You're a smart man, you'll do what's best for you and your family.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I took a new job which gave me a 35K per year raise about 2 yrs ago. I love the money, but my life outside the workplace has taken a dump. Money is important but don't make that your first priority. Know everything going in so your sure your not going to be working 7 days a week 10-12hrs a day. The stress will kill. Happiness in your job is priceless. Family first!

Reply/Quote
Forget the money (which, I wouldn't leave $5-$10k on the table unless I had good reason)...you need to advance your career and skill set. You have the opportunity to do that without leaving the company. No-brainer.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 04:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Take the money and run.  

You need to maximize your income anytime your able.   You never what life will throw at you.  

You work so your life is better.

I can't disagree more, depending on how much you make. You can take on too many responsibilities at work and destroy your life, no matter how much you make. I recently rejected a 35K raise after looking at the new responsibilities. The management couldn't believe someone would turn that down, in fact it was a 4 hour conversation to convince them I'm happy with where I'm at.

The grass isn't always greener!
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 12:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I took a new job which gave me a 35K per year raise about 2 yrs ago. I love the money, but my life outside the workplace has taken a dump. Money is important but don't make that your first priority. Know everything going in so your sure your not going to be working 7 days a week 10-12hrs a day. The stress will kill. Happiness in your job is priceless. Family first!

Exactly, funny I didn't read your post before making my own above - I rejected a 35K raise earlier this year. I still pull 70 hour weeks sometimes, but only when I want to - that can bring in the dough. Otherwise, your health and family must be higher priority than career and money. It will affect you relationships too (girlfriend/wife/kids), don't screw around, people are always looking for someone to take advantage of.
Reply/Quote
Matt, I don't know why you don't want your current supervisors to hear that you might be looking for another position. That could be a major reason they would pay you more money.

Generally the two main reasons to NOT take more money is lack of stability or additional stress. It doesn't help you to make an extra $20 grand a year if that job could be gone in a year or two. And it is also not worth taking on an additional level of stress and/or demands that would effect your personal life.

In your case I don't see that there is a good reason for you NOT to take the extra money. No one would be mad at you or hold it against you if you did.
Reply/Quote
Update: Applied for the job this morning. Told my supervisor and her counterpart (we have two on the same level that technically split the department but not really) so they would be aware and they both seemed very understanding and supportive. The prevailing thought seems to be that, and this is the quote from the one that hired me but is not my current supervisor, "it was obvious three months in you'd be moving on from here one way or another."

So whether that means any attempt to keep me here will happen or not, no idea. But we shall see what comes of it.

Reply/Quote
Good luck. As you know the grass isn't always greener but sounds like you know what you're getting into. I took my current position 6 years ago & haven't looked back. Supervision thought my current job would be a stepping stone into their world but I'm making almost the same money with nobody directly reporting to me. Relatively stress free compared to their jobs. They are baffled why I wouldn't take the next step and be responsible for a group of 9-10 people with phone calls on nights/weekends. All for maybe 2% more than what I make now. Duh ?
Reply/Quote
I think I'm a badass at my job, but everyone is replaceable, and in my profession - I'm a replaceable "resource". I think there might only be one LeBron James in any profession, there is only one best of the best that is truly irreplaceable.

Just like people piss on the Bengals for not winning a playoff game, I say there is only 1 winner every year, 2nd place is the 1st loser, they're all in the same boat.
Reply/Quote