Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow "There's nothing down the field if teams play us like they (Ravens) did"
Seemed to me like for the first time this year the run game was working and they didn't use it.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Seemed to me like for the first time this year the run game was working and they didn't use it.

Mixon ran for 5.6 yds a clip - he got 14 carries

Perine ran for 5.7 yds a clip - he got 3 carries

I do not understand the logic here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon ran for 5.6 yds a clip - he got 14 carries

I have no doubt that if Mixon was averaging 2.2 ypc that they would have ran him 24 times.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
It’s because every route is an out, streak or a flat Joe. The Ravens didn’t become the best secondary Overnight. Zac’s plays are just pure shit
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:15 AM)Garrus Wrote: We rarely see many short route concepts with this offense. Not many slants, smash routes, digs, or curls. No play action rollouts, little motion. It's late enough in the season that they should know how to beat cover 2. KC did it last year after a few weeks, they adjusted. Why can Zac Taylor not do the same?

Didn't Collinsworth say last night that he was surprised the Bengals aren't running more slants?

He also noted that the Ravens had never played so much 2 high safeties. Clearly, there's a blueprint for stopping the Bengals offense and the league has figured it out.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Seemed to me like for the first time this year the run game was working and they didn't use it.

This occurred to me as well.  up until the very end, the run was a reasonable option.  At no point were they getting blown out and in need of a quick score.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:41 PM)Nepa Wrote: Didn't Collinsworth say last night that he was surprised the Bengals aren't running more slants?

He also noted that the Ravens had never played so much 2 high safeties. Clearly, there's a blueprint for stopping the Bengals offense and the league has figured it out.

Yeah it's odd because Chase is really good at YAC, and so he would have the chance to break it on slant routes. Even Boyd is good at them so it's strange that we rarely use them. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Interesting tidbit from the commentary last night after one of Burrow's tipped passes "he's used to throwing down the field more and his trajectory is too flat for short/intermediate throws, dlinemen are getting their hands up." Paraphrasing, but did anyone else catch that little nugget?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon ran for 5.6 yds a clip - he got 14 carries

Because when both backs are cloae to 6 yds per carry, why the shovel pass on the.goal line? Run the thing in... the way the run game has been all year, I understand the reluctance, but both Mixon anx Perine were running angry and downhill last night
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This explains a lot.

Yes I like HOF QBs, they have had a great run but ending soon I think
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting tidbit from the commentary last night after one of Burrow's tipped passes "he's used to throwing down the field more and his trajectory is too flat for short/intermediate throws, dlinemen are getting their hands up." Paraphrasing, but did anyone else catch that little nugget?

I think Collinsworth mentioned it. I wasn't sure what I thought about the comment. Burrow is a pro and it isn't like he only throws deep passes. The comment seemed pertinent to the moment but not perhaps an overall accurate reflection about Burrow's career as a passer.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because when both backs are cloae to 6 yds per carry, why the shovel pass on the.goal line? Run the thing in... the way the run game has been all year, I understand the reluctance, but both Mixon anx Perine were running angry and downhill last night

Uh…yeah that was my point.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes I like HOF QBs, they have had a great run but ending soon I think

One more unlikable than the next.

Reply/Quote

Especially on first and goal on the two...let's try to be cute instead of running it with Mixon. Another example of head scratching calls by Zac
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:28 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Don't love the vibe this gives off, just tells teams how to stop us. I'm sure there's further context though.

If teams take away the deep stuff, we more than have the pieces to beat teams short. I've said it before, Chase's best value to us this season might not have anything to do with getting the ball, but by just being on the field it makes teams sit back.

Beat teams with the short game. Most teams in the league would dream of having the pass catchers we do. And a lot of teams would still dream of what we have, even if you take Chase away.

Hopefully the run game can keep it going too.

Completely agree, there is plenty of ways to attack Defenses. Saw open guys last night, Burrow just didn't.

Also, the play calling needs to attack with what is working, the running game was working. Stick with it.

The Ravens Defense wasn't great last night or anything, we just didn't take advantage of their mistakes and the fact they
couldn't stop the run. That is on us, it isn't because the Ravens did anything special.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:06 PM)GodFather Wrote: Especially on first and goal on the two...let's try to be cute instead of running it with Mixon. Another example of head scratching calls by Zac

If Mixon and Perine run the rest of the season like they did last night, the answer to cover 2 is just run the ball until they pull their safeties up
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Mixon and Perine run the rest of the season like they did last night, the answer to cover 2 is just run the ball until they pull their safeties up

This is a positive to take from last night for sure. Loved seeing the running game finally come together. This is huge.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:52 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Interesting tidbit from the commentary last night after one of Burrow's tipped passes "he's used to throwing down the field more and his trajectory is too flat for short/intermediate throws, dlinemen are getting their hands up." Paraphrasing, but did anyone else catch that little nugget?

Yes. That was Cris Collinsworth who, following that “little nugget” said he played with the two best quarterbacks in Bengal history thereby implying Joe Burrow isn’t as good as Boomer Esiason or Ken Anderson.
Reply/Quote
So basically what he's saying is that we need to find another way to beat them (if they play us like that) and we aren't able to as of yet.

Why could that be? Game planning and play-calling aren't putting the players in a position to move the ball forward with a high likelihood of success.

Stop being so predictable. How many times were we told the word 'mulitple' on defense the last few years. We wanted to bring in players that are adaptive and can do a lot of different things so you don't know what they're going to do. Well it's worked out on defense.

They need to implement the same mentality on offense. The defense shouldn't know whether we are running or passing the ball pre-snap. This is basic football and the best teams keep the defense off balance with their play calling.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a positive to take from last night for sure. Loved seeing the running game finally come together. This is huge.

What formation did those runs come out of? Answer: shotgun. Averaged almost 6 yards per carry out of shotgun last night. We kept the defense guessing with that formation. Zac just needs to look at the stats to see the writing on the wall. 
Reply/Quote