Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow VS Justin Herbert
(09-17-2022, 01:40 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Herbert is able to make throws that Burrow can’t.  Pally nailed it when she said both teams got the right QB for their franchise. I hate the Chargers but Herbert is really good and will continue to be.  Joe B is good too and a proven winner.  Saying he has less talent around him is just stupid. His WRs are the best in the NFL and they have a very good RB.  Herbert has a better O line for sure.  Both great young QBs.

What if Herbert, Mahomes and Allen are the Brady, Manning and Brees of this generation and Burrow is the Eli Manning?  Never an MVP or viewed as a top 5 QB but wins a SB or 2?  I would not mind this at all.
Now let’s see if anyone is triggered by me comparing Burrow to Eli.

If he wins us 2 Super Bowls I don't care who hes compared to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 11:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Joe Burrow does not "blow away" Justin Herbert. Herbert has the NFL record for most passing yards and TDs by a QB in his first 2 years.

WTS, I'm happy to have Burrow. I feel JB gets the nod from the neck up and Herbert from the neck down.

Just imagine how bad you feel if you're a Dolphins fan

Pre knee injury Burrow was the betting favorite to win OROY. Burrow's numbers were better. Burrow got MVP votes last season while Herbert didn't.
Burrow took team to SB with inferior roster. While Herbert didn't even make the playoffs. Herbert's stats were inflated because of Stayley's aggressiveness on 4th down.
Reply/Quote
Beisdes for Adeniji who is a backup here the other 3 linemen aren't even in the league anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 01:58 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Pre knee injury Burrow was the betting favorite to win OROY. Burrow's numbers were better. Burrow got MVP votes last season while Herbert didn't.
Burrow took team to SB with inferior roster. While Herbert didn't even make the playoffs. Herbert's stats were inflated because of Stayley's aggressiveness on 4th down.

Burrow's numbers were not better than Herbert's their Rookie Year. JB had a passer rating (derived from a formula that considers all QB numbers) of 89; Herbert had a rating of 98. 

I love JB and he had a better 2021 season than Herbert; even though Herbert was the only one named to the Pro Bowl. But I'm not going to say Herbert won OROY because JB got hurt; nor am I going to assert JB blows him away.

It is cool to see Bengal fans pointing to wins (especially Post Season) as a reason a QB is "better". For years I've heard it is the "total team sport". But that is when other QB were having more success than Andy 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 01:58 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Burrow got MVP votes last season.

No he didn't. 

https://www.theledger.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/02/11/nfls-mvp-voting-system-makes-one-question-meaning-valuable/6751282001/

Quote:Here are the complete results of the NFL's 2021 MVP voting, announced on Thursday:

• Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers – 39 votes.
• Tampa Bay QB Tom Brady – 10 votes.
• L.A. Rams WR Cooper Kupp – 1 vote.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/awards/awards_2021.htm

Good grief.  People need to stop acting like every time someone says another QB is better than Burrow that the person broke your door down, kicked your dog, drank all your beer and slept with your wife/husband/partner. 

As mentioned by some already, they are both very good QBs that will likely have very long careers as top level QBs.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 02:19 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: No he didn't. 

https://www.theledger.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/02/11/nfls-mvp-voting-system-makes-one-question-meaning-valuable/6751282001/

Good grief.  People need to stop acting like every time someone says another QB is better than Burrow that the person broke your door down, kicked your dog, drank all your beer and slept with your wife/husband/partner. 

As mentioned by some already, they are both very good QBs that will likely have very long careers as top level QBs.  
The absolutely crazy thing is: I haven't seen anyone assert Herbert is better than Burrow. A couple have just supported Herbert's talent. 

Have we gone from Carson's Cavalry to Andy's Army to The Burrow Brigade?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
They are both top tier QBs we have a decade of time to see who ends up on top, let's just enjoy the ride of 5 top tier QBs on the AFC...
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The absolutely crazy thing is: I haven't seen anyone assert Herbert is better than Burrow. A couple have just supported Herbert's talent. 

Have we gone from Carson's Cavalry to Andy's Army to The Burrow Brigade?

Oh I was mostly going off the OP's opening statement and what I assumed was their drive to make this thread:

(09-17-2022, 10:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many in the media think Herbert is better.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 02:19 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: No he didn't. 

Actually several analyst  have but normally they have Burrow and Herbert behind Allen and Mahomes in afc and ahead of jackson
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 02:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually several analyst  have but normally they have Burrow and Herbert behind Allen and Mahomes in afc and ahead of jackson

What are you talking about?  I never said no one has claimed Herbert is better or other QBs are better which I guess is what you mean. Hard to tell.  Read my post again.   In fact I was using hyperbole to mock the people that seem to get offended whenever some suggest Herbert or other QBs are better.   What I did say didn't happen was Burrow getting MVP votes.   My links above support that.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 10:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many in the media think Herbert is better. You match up their stats head to head Burrow comes out slightly better.. I can understand Burrow being behind Allen or Mahomes but Herbert is just plain disrespectful. The Chargers were considered a playoff team going into last season while Bengals were considered a bottom 5 roster yet Burrow had the better year. Herbert has had the better talent around him but Burrow has had more team success the stats are close but based off team success and talent to work with Burrow blows Herbert away.

Herbert is a very good QB. I just don't like to put him higher than Burrow because his WRs come up with some ridiculous catches, too consistently. 

He's big, has a strong arm and he does have a knack for putting the ball where his receivers can go make a play. I think he's still a 2nd tier QB when it comes to reading defenses and making decisions. That could improve with experience. 

I'd still take Burrow over him for the long haul, without a doubt.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 12:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I really don’t give a shit about this

Ha ha, I was going to post something similar Frank lol

They are both 2 great young QB's that should have fantastic careers. No need to cut down Herbert.

He has been much better than I thought he would be honestly...

Burrow on the other hand has been about what I thought he would but needs to really improve in some areas. Especially 
throwing too many INTS, holding onto the ball too long, not throwing the ball away at times and sliding.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Burrow's numbers were not better than Herbert's their Rookie Year. JB had a passer rating (derived from a formula that considers all QB numbers) of 89; Herbert had a rating of 98. 

I love JB and he had a better 2021 season than Herbert; even though Herbert was the only one named to the Pro Bowl. But I'm not going to say Herbert won OROY because JB got hurt; nor am I going to assert JB blows him away.

It is cool to see Bengal fans pointing to wins (especially Post Season) as a reason a QB is "better". For years I've heard it is the "total team sport". But that is when other QB were having more success than Andy 

Whether the first 9 complete games in their rookie years (before Burrow went down with the knee in Wash);
242/370 65.4% 2485 6.7 12/5  89.8     5 300+ yd games, 1 400+ yd game-- burrow
231/353 65.4% 2545 7.2 19/7  96.3     4 300+ yd games, 0 400+ yd games-- herbert

Or, their current totals;
663/  977 67.9% 7637 7.8 49/23 98.1 burrow
898/1349 66.6% 9963 7.4 75/26 98.8 herbert
You can't really say one is noticibly better than the other. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Glad we got Joe but that does not change the fact that Herbert is a great QB as well.

When we were debating which one to draft the main reason I sided with Joe was that he was a Ohio kid and Justin was west coast and I was scared of another Carson situation.

Because it was that close of a decision between the two for me talent wise.

The NFL has plenty of young guns to assure a very entertaining future for us fans to watch, and Burrow and Herbert are definitely amongst them

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 01:58 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Pre knee injury Burrow was the betting favorite to win OROY. 

This is wrong. Herbert had been the favorite for a handful of weeks by the time Burrow went down. The race was very, very close, but Herbert was the favorite. Link.

Quote:Burrow's numbers were better.

This is wrong. Herbert's numbers were shockingly better by the time that Burrow went down. I'm talking not even close. Here are the numbers.

Herbert - 68% comp, 2,699 yards, 22 TDs, 6 INTs, 104.69 QB rating
Burrow - 65% comp, 2,688 yards, 13 TDs, 5 INTs, 89.8 rating

Herbert also had one less game than Joe. Or, half a game, since Joe got hurt right before halftime.

Quote: Burrow got MVP votes last season while Herbert didn't.

This is wrong. Link.

Quote:Burrow took team to SB with inferior roster. While Herbert didn't even make the playoffs.

This one isn't a slam dunk for being wrong, but I disagree. The Chargers defense flat out sucked, Cincinnati had a significantly better defense despite it being mediocre itself. 

Quote:Herbert's stats were inflated because of Stayley's aggressiveness on 4th down.

This is just silly. Being aggressive on 4th down is a great strategy to keep the drive going. His stats aren't inflated because of this, he simply earned them. Were Burrow's stats inflated last year because of his aggressiveness down the field? Of course not. He just earned those numbers by playing well. 
Reply/Quote
I’m very happy to have Burrow. I’m sure that I would also be very happy to have Herbert. They are both top 4 QBs when talking about the long term future of your franchise, so I don’t really think you can lose either way.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Burrow made the Super Bowl, Herbert didn’t. There was a time when Manning vs Brady was a debate. Manning had stats, Brady won the important games. There’s a similar parallel in the Herbert vs Burrow debate.
Reply/Quote
They are both great, but let’s not pretend that anyone who picked 1 and needed a QB was not picking Burrow after the year he had. Like some have said, imagine if your team took Tua instead of Herbert.
Reply/Quote
They’re both great.

/thread

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 06:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re both great.

/thread

They are both very good and have the potential to be great over the course of their careers.

/thread  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote