Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow VS Justin Herbert
(09-18-2022, 02:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wonder how much of that is age. Herbert is in his age 24 season and Burrow in his age 26 season. Both are great QBs, but you'd naturally expect Burrow to be a little ahead developmentally since he came into the NFL at a higher age, no? 

I don't know that age plays much of a factor. Maturity would play more of a factor and age doesn't always determine that. In the Herbert/Burrow instance, Herbert has more snaps/attempts than Burrow does in college and the NFL. Burrow has 1,922 attempts combined and Herbert has 2,642. Not a huge difference but i don't think their age is that big of a difference either. 

The kind of funny/interesting thing (to me at least) is that they're both right around the exact same amount of attempts that they each had when they left college, right now.

P.S. The age difference is 1y 3m. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 02:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Justin Herbert actually has ALOT more game reps going back through college. So while Burrow is older he didnt play as much as Herbert.

Huh, good to know (I don't follow college close). I don't know then. Maybe the difference between playing in the Pac-12 and practicing against Oregon's defense vs playing in the SEC and practicing against LSU's defense? LSU had 6 defensive guys drafted in 2019-2020, 3 1st and 3 2nd rounders while Oregon had 2 4th rounders, 1 5th rounder, 1 7th rounder.

Or Burrow is just naturally better at it.

(09-18-2022, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: P.S. The age difference is 1y 3m. 

I just go by Pro Football Reference year age season for everyone so I don't have to play 3 month/9 month/etc games with players, or worry about mid-season birthdays and how far into the season they are. Everyone listed by the exact same criteria and same cutoff date for when it is considered a certain age season. Do the same when I talk baseball too with Pro Baseball Reference. Just nice to have a nice non-biased blanket reference point. It's also why I almost always say "age x season" than "years old" when I talk about players.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 02:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm going to assume that you already know that not everything can be confirmed with raw stats. 

You do know that right? There are things you see in film study that allow you to understand that one QB is better at "this thing" than another QB is.

Just so we're on the same page here, if say a guy like Kurt Warner who played in the NFL, won a championship and is in the HoF says a QB is good at "this thing" but you can't really show it with numbers on a piece of paper, is that his biased opinion? 

I'm not saying Burrow isn't great at processing and making good decisions (although his INT and sack % could argue he's not as good as we think...more so because I think some people think he's #1 at this). I've watched Kurt Warner do reviews of Herbert's game and he says many of the same things though. He repeatedly will show plays and talk about Herbert making good reads, good processing, moving players with his eyes or pump fakes. Honestly most of his negatives on Herbert are about his mechanics/footwork. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Huh, good to know (I don't follow college close). I don't know then. Maybe the difference between playing in the Pac-12 and practicing against Oregon's defense vs playing in the SEC and practicing against LSU's defense? LSU had 6 defensive guys drafted in 2019-2020, 3 1st and 3 2nd rounders while Oregon had 2 4th rounders, 1 5th rounder, 1 7th rounder.

Or Burrow is just naturally better at it.

I just go by Pro Football Reference year age season for everyone so I don't have to play 3 month/9 month/etc games with players, or worry about mid-season birthdays and how far into the season they are. Everyone listed by the exact same criteria and same cutoff date for when it is considered a certain age season. Do the same when I talk baseball too with Pro Baseball Reference. Just nice to have a nice non-biased blanket reference point. It's also why I almost always say "age x season" than "years old" when I talk about players.

I get it. I didn't have an issue with it. Just wanted to point it out because it could have read like Burrow was (or almost) 2 years older than Herbert. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:34 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not saying Burrow isn't great at processing and making good decisions (although his INT and sack % could argue he's not as good as we think...more so because I think some people think he's #1 at this). I've watched Kurt Warner do reviews of Herbert's game and he says many of the same things though. He repeatedly will show plays and talk about Herbert making good reads, good processing, moving players with his eyes or pump fakes. Honestly most of his negatives on Herbert are about his mechanics/footwork. 

Ditto. I've watched a lot of Warner's channel. My takeaway was more that he was more constructively critical of Herbert, showing where he could improve and he was more complimentary of Burrow's mental game. But that's my personal take of it.

It's also not out of the question that Warner just likes Burrow's game more. 

Regardless, i think they're both very good QBs who should have long, successful careers. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:34 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not saying Burrow isn't great at processing and making good decisions (although his INT and sack % could argue he's not as good as we think...more so because I think some people think he's #1 at this). I've watched Kurt Warner do reviews of Herbert's game and he says many of the same things though. He repeatedly will show plays and talk about Herbert making good reads, good processing, moving players with his eyes or pump fakes. Honestly most of his negatives on Herbert are about his mechanics/footwork. 

I believe it's Burrow's double-edged sword. He is good at processing, sometimes too good. He thinks he can save every play, make something work. He has to learn it's ok to throw the ball away and live for another down.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 04:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe it's Burrow's double-edged sword. He is good at processing, sometimes too good. He thinks he can save every play, make something work. He has to learn it's ok to throw the ball away and live for another down.

Or take the dump off. I think it's something he'll get better with and hope he's realizing how much harder the turnovers/sacks make it to win. 
Reply/Quote
Fins fans aren't so mad today
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Maybe a 3rd horse entered the race
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe a 3rd horse entered the race

If Tua ends up panning out it could be one hell of a QB class.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe a 3rd horse entered the race

4th.

Hurts made the playoffs too, and could be back.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hurts has definitely broke out...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Looking like it could be one of the best draft classes for QBs since the 1983 class perhaps? 4 strong candidates with the misguided pick of Jordan Love in the middle of the top 4 lol.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:52 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Looking like it could be one of the best draft classes for QBs since the 1983 class perhaps? 4 strong candidates with the misguided pick of Jordan Love in the middle of the top 4 lol.

We don't really know much about Love yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We don't really know much about Love yet.

He's looked bad at times when they've used him. When A-Aron was out with covid, Love was just horrible to watch. And he had time to prep and had been in the system for over a year. He looks rough but maybe more game reps help, but the early return on him is not good.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We don't really know much about Love yet.

He’s not good. I still think that was an all time bad draft pick. Rodgers was literally pounding the table for weapons and Tee and Pittman were sitting right there for them. Oh well, their loss was our gain.

Reply/Quote
Chargers getting stomped by the Jags. Are we back to Burrow? LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Herbert has one ass game and that tips the scales?

isn't Herbert's ribcage messed up?
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 07:29 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Herbert has one ass game and that tips the scales?

isn't Herbert's ribcage messed up?

Threw a pick six to lose the last one I believe , but did you miss the smiley face? I actually don’t care. Just having some fun.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Jaguars and Dolphins both look much improved.
Reply/Quote