Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow and Zac Taylor Were Smart Yesterday
Oh yes, Bengaldom. What we saw from the offense yesterday — including play calling — was very encouraging and here’s why:

Zac Taylor didn’t call for many long passes because the Broncos’ secondary was playing “plaster” coverage which is hard to throw deep against.

The fundamental idea of plastering is when a quarterback decides to leave the pocket and run, defensive players in the secondary scream "Plaster!" and try to find the closest receiver and stick to that man for as long as they can. The concept is utilized in both zone and man coverages.

In Denver’s case they ran plaster coverage even when Joe Burrow stayed in the pocket. During the game thread many posters kept wondering where the deep ball was and I tried to explain why the coverage was not amenable to this.

It’s a miracle Tyler Boyd got open when he did and scored; he was truly the only wide open receiver Joe Burrow saw all day.

Vic Fangio basically made the Bengals beat him on the ground and fortunately the offensive line blocked “just good enough” to spring Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine for critical first downs.

It is good to see Zac Taylor recognize the pass was not going to be there and call plays accordingly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It was also a showcase on why we drafted Evan McPherson. Sometimes you have to lean on D and kick a lot of FGs. This was a lunch pail kind of win.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: It was also a showcase on why we drafted Evan McPherson. Sometimes you have to lean on D and kick a lot of FGs. This was a lunch pail kind of win.

...and isn’t it a breath of fresh air to have a defense like this to lean on?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and isn’t it a breath of fresh air to have a defense like this to lean on?

Mannnnn x 1000
Reply/Quote
Good to see the Bengals defense come up big. But let’s be real about the Denver offense. If they did this to the chiefs it’d be reason for Taylor to say something like “The Bengals defense is sending a message to the rest of the NFL”.

Good win though. Lots to like about the future of this young team.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes, Bengaldom.  What we saw from the offense yesterday — including play calling — was very encouraging and here’s why:

Zac Taylor didn’t call for many long passes because the Broncos’ secondary was playing “plaster” coverage which is hard to throw deep against.

The fundamental idea of plastering is when a quarterback decides to leave the pocket and run, defensive players in the secondary scream "Plaster!" and try to find the closest receiver and stick to that man for as long as they can. The concept is utilized in both zone and man coverages.

In Denver’s case they ran plaster coverage even when Joe Burrow stayed in the pocket.  During the game thread many posters kept wondering where the deep ball was and I tried to explain why the coverage was not amenable to this.

It’s a miracle Tyler Boyd got open when he did and scored; he was truly the only wide open receiver Joe Burrow saw all day.  

Vic Fangio basically made the Bengals beat him on the ground and fortunately the offensive line blocked “just good enough” to spring Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine for critical first downs.

It is good to see Zac Taylor recognize the pass was not going to be there and call plays accordingly.

We took what they gave us which wasn't much lol

Burrow had to run a bit and he did it at the right times. That is the best secondary in the NFL in my opinion.

True that both Burrow and Taylor were smart, same with Lou, we had to do just enough and beat them at their own game
with good Defense and a running game. We also got after the QB with blitzes which is something we don't do often, we like
to rely on our front more than most teams. Waynes, Hilton, Bates, Bell, Apple, Allen all played well and Pratt was a beast.

Loving our Defense and the way our backups can step in if a guy goes down. When Von went down for example, Allen 
stepped up, same with when Bachie went down Bailey stepped up etc.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and isn’t it a breath of fresh air to have a defense like this to lean on?

For most of the second half, it felt to me like the defense was on the verge of causing a turnover and blowing the game wide open.  It nearly happened when Kareem stole the ball and took off the other way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They were just playing man most of the day and the reason we had trouble passing is because their DBs are VERY good and VERY well coached. They were def prepared for our passing attack.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For most of the second half, it felt to me like the defense was on the verge of causing a turnover and blowing the game wide open.  It nearly happened when Kareem stole the ball and took off the other way.

That was a crazy play, hope Kareem is alright BTW. I saw the same thing with the Defense as well, hope this just carries on 
throughout the rest of the year. If this D keeps playing opportunistic and disciplined we can win it all. Our Offense can be 
explosive when needed. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes, Bengaldom. What we saw from the offense yesterday — including play calling — was very encouraging and here’s why:

In Denver’s case they ran plaster coverage even when Joe Burrow stayed in the pocket. During the game thread many posters kept wondering where the deep ball was and I tried to explain why the coverage was not amenable to this.

Not being a smartass, but why doesn’t everyone do that every week?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not being a smartass, but why doesn’t everyone do that every week?

In a perfect world I guess everyone would do that every week lol
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not being a smartass, but why doesn’t everyone do that every week?

That’s a great question.

If the opposing offense has a great rushing attack with an offensive line which run blocks well a plaster coverage defense will get burned on the ground. With at least four players dropping into plaster coverage along with the defensive line trying to get to the quarterback a good rushing team can eat that defense alive.

If the Bengals were better at run blocking the game would not have been so close against the Broncos. It would have been a one sided blowout.

Remember all the ten to twenty yard runs Joe Burrow made yesterday? The aforementioned scenario I described is how.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For most of the second half, it felt to me like the defense was on the verge of causing a turnover and blowing the game wide open.  It nearly happened when Kareem stole the ball and took off the other way.

The Bengals played outstanding pass defense without Chidobe Awuzie or Logan Wilson on the field. That’s significant. It means there is depth in the lineup.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In a perfect world I guess everyone would do that every week lol

Because teams don't have the personal to do it. You need good DBs to run a man type scheme. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:01 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals played outstanding pass defense without Chidobe Awuzie or Logan Wilson on the field. That’s significant.  It means there is depth in the lineup.

Eli Apple in particular, has made a complete 180° turnaround from the beginning of the season.  For a while I kept wondering when the old Eli that we saw the first month of the season was going to return to form, but after the past few weeks, I've become a believer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I mean, let's not forget that the Bengals were *this close* to a pretty bad loss...
Apple punches out a sure TD from Denver receiver.
The Bengals-strip-runback-fumble-recovered by Denver-but no, down by contact- circus happened on a Denver 2nd and goal
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:01 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals played outstanding pass defense without Chidobe Awuzie or Logan Wilson on the field. That’s significant.  It means there is depth in the lineup.

The reason the Bengals secondary has been so good this year is because their defensive line has been fantastic. The play of the defensive line and their pass rush has limited exposing an average to below average secondary. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes, Bengaldom.  What we saw from the offense yesterday — including play calling — was very encouraging and here’s why:

In Denver’s case they ran plaster coverage even when Joe Burrow stayed in the pocket.  During the game thread many posters kept wondering where the deep ball was and I tried to explain why the coverage was not amenable to this.

Plaster is just another term for a scramble drill. It isn't a coverage itself, though. You can't run a plaster coverage if the QB is still in the pocket - it is just used whenever a play has broken down. Denver runs a lot of cover 3 and they ran some man yesterday as well, maybe some pattern match coverage. I haven't watched the All-22. 

Cincinnati struggled because Denver has really good DBs and a good defensive line. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Plaster is just another term for a scramble drill. It isn't a coverage itself, though. You can't run a plaster coverage if the QB is still in the pocket - it is just used whenever a play has broken down. Denver runs a lot of cover 3 and they ran some man yesterday as well, maybe some pattern match coverage. I haven't watched the All-22. 

Cincinnati struggled because Denver has really good DBs and a good defensive line. 

Yep - this. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:09 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I mean, let's not forget that the Bengals were *this close* to a pretty bad loss...
Apple punches out a sure TD from Denver receiver.
The Bengals-strip-runback-fumble-recovered by Denver-but no, down by contact- circus happened on a Denver 2nd and goal

[Image: 200.gif]

Reply/Quote