Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Joe Burrow and his Russell Wilson impression
If we had won that game and went on to make the playoffs that play might have defined Burrow's career fora long time.

It was not just an amazing play. It was an amazing play in the 4th quarter down by 14 in a huge game between two teams fighting to make the playoffs.

If we win that game that play would have been the most seen highlight play of the week. And everyone would be talking about how good that Bengals chances are to make the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 02:32 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I won't pretend to be an NFL guru.  I played o-line for a small (2A now 3A) hs in ky that won state a couple times.  So, I feel like I have some football IQ, but I'm by no means a pro or did I do it at high levels.  From what I've seen, its not that he wouldn't have the green light, and its not a mental thing for Burrow.  If I had to guess, he has more faith in himself to make a tough throw than to hope communication holds up on the line and everyone does their job. 

Generally speaking, I would say its a blown protection if a defender comes free through the middle of the line, and good protection if the free runner is from the edge (simplified of course, exceptions apply)

One example of this was when Burrow was calling the "You can't zero me!" and the linebacker blew him up through the A gap.
Hopefully with a better line, and a bit of time, Burrow won't feel the need to take those hits and rely solely on his arm in those situations.

EDIT: To expand on this further, this post is assuming its Burrow's responsibility to change the protection. In some systems, one of the lineman, typically the center, is responsible for line adjustments and up front audibles. So it may be the case of Cincy not having good adjustments from the line itself.

This makes sense. Rushers up the middle is basically death, but least if it’s from the outside you have a second or 2
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If we had won that game and went on to make the playoffs that play might have defined Burrow's career fora long time.

It was not just an amazing play. It was an amazing play in the 4th quarter down by 14 in a huge game between two teams fighting to make the playoffs.

If we win that game that play would have been the most seen highlight play of the week. And everyone would be talking about how good that Bengals chances are to make the postseason.

No lies told
-Housh
Reply/Quote