Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow ball velocity
(07-23-2021, 01:28 PM)pally Wrote: When they were working together before the draft Joe's velocity never measured above 48.5 MPH.  Palmer estimates that most NFL QBs throw in the 47-53 mph range so Joe was at the low end of that.

Man, can you even imagine the absolute shitstorm that would have befallen someone last year if they suggested Burrow's throws were soft? 

(Also, I now NEED to know Ryan Finley's velocity. Basically, I want to know if prime Usain Bolt's top speed is greater than Finley's throwing speed.)

(07-23-2021, 10:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im not saying Burrow won't be great, but isn't every player in the best shape of his life and ready to unleash some amazing new mechanics this time of year?

It almost felt like we were missing something this offseason without a player talking about doing MMA training with Jay Glazier, or whatnot.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 02:03 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Does better velocity translate to improvement on deep balls?

Deep ball effectiveness has a few dependent variables.  Velocity could factor in, but trajectory and accuracy are likely more determinate in deep ball success.  Most high velocity throws are generally flatter, more "laser beam" type of throws, often leading to a higher risk of deflection, defense, or even interception.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Full article on this in the athletic

Great article- nice takeout:

“Joe Burrow is gonna go off this year,” Palmer says. “He is going to be a major story and here’s why: He found a way to create more energy on the ball.”

Full article: https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 10:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im not saying Burrow won't be great, but isn't every player in the best shape of his life and ready to unleash some amazing new mechanics this time of year?

I don't recall many great offseasons for Andre Smith
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 01:28 PM)pally Wrote: There is a really good article in The Athletic today talking about Jordan Palmer and how he uses technology such as 3d cameras and pressure plates to tweak QB throwing motions.  For example, we all read the Joe Burrow has gotten stronger in the core and glutes.  Well, that is because they discovered that Joe was throwing from his toes in certain situations.  When they were working together before the draft Joe's velocity never measured above 48.5 MPH.  Palmer estimates that most NFL QBs throw in the 47-53 mph range so Joe was at the low end of that.  After working together, with Joe getting stronger, and fixing the toe push off issue, he was measured consistently at 54mph.

If this work does for Joe what it has done for Josh Allen...holy moly he's gonna go crazy on the field

The really interesting article itself is behind a paywall

https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/

Good stuff.  I am glad Palmer is getting some credit for this, as I really like how the guy has dedicated himself to working with other QBs.  However, I think a lot of the credit will simply come from the way rehab works and strengthening every part of the body to avoid compensation injuries.  

We all knew that Burrow would work his ass off in rehab and he was already stronger (looking) than when he first got here before his rookie season.  I think about how Adrian Peterson came back from his ACL tear and he is a running back.  That dude is a freak, but I remember reading something about how he said the rehab isolated certain areas that he had never worked before and it really boosted his overall abilities.  Seems amazing, but he did have an insane year coming off ACL surgery.

Joe doesn't need my two cents, as I think he has his sights set on a Super Bowl and won't settle for anything less.  This year.  That's just who he is and I can't wait to see how he performs in his second season with a better line and more weapons. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm hoping that he performs well and above typical rookie expectations.  However, with him being a rookie, and changing positions, I'm also expecting a bit of growing pains/development curve to come into play.  

I know that I raised hell about him being the selection in the second round, but now that he's a Bengal, I'm truly hoping for the best from him.

I believe the move to Guard will only help Carman. Dude is a mauler. We will see, my prediction is he is our best run blocker this 
season and is great insurance in case one of our OT's goes down to an injury. Carman is also smart which really helps when speaking
about rookie O-Lineman.
Reply/Quote