Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.2 Average
Joe Burrow contract theory
Just throwing this out there to see what other people think.

What are the odds that Joey B takes a much more team friendly contract so that it's easier to re-sign Tee and Ja'Marr and who knows who else?
I really think WINNING is more important to Joe than being the highest paid player.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
We've heard it all before and no I absolutely do not think this is true.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:11 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Just throwing this out there to see what other people think.

What are the odds that Joey B takes a much more team friendly contract so that it's easier to re-sign Tee and Ja'Marr and who knows who else?
I really think WINNING is more important to Joe than being the highest paid player.

Thoughts?

It depends on what you mean by team friendly. Joe Burrow is, in all likelihood, going to be the highest paid player in the NFL and NFL history (by AAV). However, I won't be surprised if the structure of his contract is friendly ala Mahomes. 

If, by team friendly, you mean he will take less than market value, then no. I don't believe he will. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:11 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Just throwing this out there to see what other people think.

Thoughts?

If he was willing to take a deal that favored the Bengals, why haven’t they signed the contract? If he was going to take an under market value deal, it would be done by now. They’re negotiating back and forth and it takes time.
Reply/Quote
Nobody knows.

My best guess is that they have the basic framework for a deal and are trying to work out the guarantees and cap ramifications.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It depends on what you mean by team friendly. Joe Burrow is, in all likelihood, going to be the highest paid player in the NFL and NFL history (by AAV). However, I won't be surprised if the structure of his contract is friendly ala Mahomes. 

If, by team friendly, you mean he will take less than market value, then no. I don't believe he will. 

I think he’s not the highest paid when it gets done.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

I think if the team friendly deal was the plan it would have been done by now so they could spend their time only focusing on Tee.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 02:38 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: If he was willing to take a deal that favored the Bengals, why haven’t they signed the contract? If he was going to take an under market value deal, it would be done by now. They’re negotiating back and forth and it takes time.

Not saying I buy this, but the answer would be he is signing last to make sure his other core guys are retained first. He is willing to go team friendly (somehow) , but o ly if the team is friendly to winning a SB. 

Hence, Muxon restructure, Hendrickson extension, Wilson extension. All done before Burrow. 

This theory would have Higgins hapoening pre-Burrow, and perhaos Boyd or Reader or Awuzie as well. 
Reply/Quote
My only question is why would he do that at his age? This is the biggest contract hell ever sign.

If anything let me sign the crazy contract and then as guys come up, ask me on an individual basis to take slight cuts with the understanding that y’all will cash me out in my mid 30s.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

I think if this were true it would be done by now and his extension would have been announced first.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 04:32 PM)Housh Wrote: My only question is why would he do that at his age? This is the biggest contract hell ever sign.

If anything let me sign the crazy contract and then as guys come up, ask me on an individual basis to take slight cuts with the understanding that y’all will cash me out in my mid 30s.

Because he will still be signing a couple of hundred million dollar contract and winning means more to him than money at that point. Same reason Mahomes signed his deal that way.
Reply/Quote
How much money is enough?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It depends on what you mean by team friendly. Joe Burrow is, in all likelihood, going to be the highest paid player in the NFL and NFL history (by AAV). However, I won't be surprised if the structure of his contract is friendly ala Mahomes. 

How is Mahomes contract structured? 
Reply/Quote

Holy crap. I looked up Mahomes contract. BRUH....

Patrick Mahomes Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 06:01 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Holy crap. I looked up Mahomes contract. BRUH....

Patrick Mahomes Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Yeah, it's a very long contract with big roster bonuses and low salaries until the later stages of the contract. He's the best QB in the league with a $39MM cap hit this year. Last year, it was a $35MM cap hit. He's probably going to end up re-negotiating it at some point, but his contract is an absolute steal right now. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 06:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, it's a very long contract with big roster bonuses and low salaries until the later stages of the contract. He's the best QB in the league with a $39MM cap hit this year. Last year, it was a $35MM cap hit. He's probably going to end up re-negotiating it at some point, but his contract is an absolute steal right now. 

If they do something like that, we're set. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 06:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, it's a very long contract with big roster bonuses and low salaries until the later stages of the contract. He's the best QB in the league with a $39MM cap hit this year. Last year, it was a $35MM cap hit. He's probably going to end up re-negotiating it at some point, but his contract is an absolute steal right now. 

That some point is this offseason, heading into only the 2nd year of the 10 year extension. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/expect-patrick-mahomes-to-again-be-the-highest-paid-player-in-league-history-before-week-one

A good format is less good if you have to give more money just a couple years later. 

Also it is only a $39m cap hit this year because they did signing bonus cap gymnastics to bring it down $9.6m in March, as it was $49.3m. It's the second time they've done it with him in 3 years. The Bengals are less of players in the cap gymnastics game because it requires spending large sums of cash up front.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

Depends what your definition is.

Herbert is the highest AAV at $52.5 mill APY. Hurts and Jackson are both $50+ mill APY.
7 QBs have $100+ mill guaranteed when they signed new contract.

Mahomes signed a 10-year, $450 mill back in 2020, but his APY is considered low right now. 6 QBs have higher APY than he does now.

I can't see Burrow signing for $45 mill APY or less, probably not for even under $50 mill APY.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 05:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because he will still be signing a couple of hundred million dollar contract and winning means more to him than money at that point. Same reason Mahomes signed his deal that way.

I think alot of ppl are going to be disappointed when that deal is announced. It will not be a team friendly deal. There’s no reason for Burrow to do that. It’ll be the biggest contract ever with the highest per year average ever. He MAY help us by taking more of it on the backend so we can keep this current group together but Burrow will likely be here for 2-3 separate “groups” of Bengals so this will be interesting
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 05:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because he will still be signing a couple of hundred million dollar contract and winning means more to him than money at that point. Same reason Mahomes signed his deal that way.

Mahomes signed the largest QB contract at the time when he signed.
It just looks different now because he did a 10-year deal when most guys are doing just 5-6 year deals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote