Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Joe Burrow is Tony Romo with elite fundamentals and the clutch gene
Burrow had the highest 4th quarter passer rating in the league last season (115.3). He’s absolutely a clutch player.

As for the playoffs he has a 67.33 cmp% (higher than both Mahomes & Allen), all while being sacked 29 times in 7 games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 01:16 AM)Housh Wrote: Someone got the count on how many games he threw the go ahead TD in and the D couldnt keep teams off the board to end it?

From what I remember Burrow is insanely clutch

Looking at playoffs:

Against KC last year we went INT and Punt on our last 2 possessions and lost

Against Baltimore we went Punt, Punt, Punt to close out the game with our defense scoring a TD and getting numerous stops to not let Baltimore tie it. 

Against the Rams we went Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, TO on downs to close out the game and lost. 

Against KC we had a TD after the defense forced an Int (only need 27 yards), Int, FG, and FG to win in OT after the defense forced another Int. Clutch game.

Against Tennessee we went Punt, INT, Punt, Punt, eventual game winning FG after the defense intercepted Tenn. The offense did get 19 yards to get us in FG range. 

Against the Raiders we went Punt, FG, Punt to on offense with the defense making an INT to win the game. 

The only clutch games in that bunch are the KC game and maybe Tenn. All the others the offense struggled to put the game away or failed. Obviously a ton of this comes down to the Oline like I said before. But I think people ignore how good our defense has played in the playoffs which is a huge part of why we've been so successful, not the offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 09:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: From Burrow himself (on being compared to Brady):

"I don't really pay attention to it. He's Tom and I'm Joe," Burrow said after Wednesday's practice, via the Bengals' official site. "I really just think that I play the game my own way. I kind of have a little bit of everybody. I wouldn't say there's one thing I do the best. But I would say that I do everything with the best of them. I wouldn't say I really have a glaring weakness."

The Harry Kane of Quarterbacks. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 01:52 AM)TheFan Wrote: But I think people ignore how good our defense has played in the playoffs which is a huge part of why we've been so successful, not the offense.

Nobody ignores what the defense did. Like at all. Just go back and look at the game ball threads, or how much credit Lou gets in general.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nobody ignores what the defense did. Like at all. Just go back and look at the game ball threads, or how much credit Lou gets in general.

I mean what I was responding to was Housh literally saying "Someone got the count on how many games he threw the go ahead TD in and the D couldnt keep teams off the board to end it?"  Maybe he was only talking about regular season though.

Right after the games people may praise the defense but I think it can get forgotten sometimes in our jump to praise the offense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:10 AM)TheFan Wrote: I mean what I was responding to was Housh literally saying "Someone got the count on how many games he threw the go ahead TD in and the D couldnt keep teams off the board to end it?"  Maybe he was only talking about regular season though.

Right after the games people may praise the defense but I think it can get forgotten sometimes in our jump to praise the offense. 

Seriously doubt many people forget stuff like Pratt’s INT vs the Raiders, or Hubbard’s TD against the Ravens when thinking about those games.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Seriously doubt many people forget stuff like Pratt’s INT vs the Raiders, or Hubbard’s TD against the Ravens when thinking about those games.

I agree people probably don't forget the huge plays the defense made but the fact we're discussing how clutch or not clutch Burrow/the offense has been (I realize I made it about the playoffs) is testament that the defense gets overlooked. Since by in large they've been the reason we've won in the playoffs and not the offense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:28 AM)TheFan Wrote: I agree people probably don't forget the huge plays the defense made but the fact we're discussing how clutch or not clutch Burrow/the offense has been (I realize I made it about the playoffs) is testament that the defense gets overlooked. Since by in large they've been the reason we've won in the playoffs and not the offense. 

Well cliches exist for a reason. Defense helps wins championships. Neither LA or KC beats us in the Super Bowl or AFCCG without big games from guys like Aaron Donald and Chris Jones.

Brady sure got a lot of help from those NE defenses for all those years. Hell, his last championship there they literally won 13-3.

Reply/Quote
Reminicsent of Kenny Anderson to me

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well cliches exist for a reason. Defense helps wins championships. Neither LA or KC beats us in the Super Bowl or AFCCG without big games from guys like Aaron Donald and Chris Jones.

Brady sure got a lot of help from those NE defenses for all those years. Hell, his last championship there they literally won 13-3.

Again, I agree with what you're saying and as I said in the initial post I'm not trying to bash Burrow. But in the playoffs so far I personally don't think he's been very clutch which is one of the key differences they posted between him and Romo. 

Romo has 29 game winning drives overall to Burrows 7. So in that way they really aren't that different. I believe Joe is better than Romo but I think his clutchness gets exaggerated. Maybe with a competent (hopefully) Oline he'll get to demonstrate that more though.
Reply/Quote
Burrow has been good, not necessarily great in the playoffs so far. But after years of Dalton debacles and basically one terrible game from Palmer that’s a hell of a step forward for this franchise.

Especially with an OL where 4/5 of the starters aren’t even on rosters now. Honestly, it’s hard for me to imagine any other QB going to a Super Bowl with Adeniji, Spain, Hopkins, and Prince. Yet Burrow was seconds away from winning the damn thing.

Reply/Quote
The similarly ends with all the chicks wanting to be their girlfriends..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Comp for Burrow?

Joseph Lee Burrow

LFG

WHO DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:41 PM)Housh Wrote: If you guys remember Romo was never known for having an insane arm or being Mike Vick athletically. But he was always a top 3 escape artist in the league and he was very accurate. He just never won the big one.

When i look at Burrow i don’t see the patience of Brady. I don’t see the surgical preparation of Manning. I see Tony Romo if Tony Romo has all his mechanics figured out and if Romo was clutch. Burrow also has an insane ability to not fumble in the pocket. Guys can be coming in on him in every direction and his ball security is so good you are never afraid of him getting the ball knocked loose.

To me that is a top 10 QB of all time. We are way to far away to put that label on Burrow but i can’t think of a better 1 for 1 comparison.

Does anyone have a better 1 for 1 comparison?
Does anyone have a better comparison ?

Just that some girls are looking pretty good in those elite fundamentals of their clutch jeans. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 09:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow has been good, not necessarily great in the playoffs so far. But after years of Dalton debacles and basically one terrible game from Palmer that’s a hell of a step forward for this franchise.

Especially with an OL where 4/5 of the starters aren’t even on rosters now. Honestly, it’s hard for me to imagine any other QB going to a Super Bowl with Adeniji, Spain, Hopkins, and Prince. Yet Burrow was seconds away from winning the damn thing.

Yeah lol

A Bengals QB simply keeping his averages in the playoffs was big beofre a Burrow
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, let me get this straight.

Joe Burrow is like Tony Romo, but only if Romo had mechanics figured out, was clutch and won playoff games. 

So...he's not like Romo at all?

Exactly, why cheapen Joe's image by likening him to someone whose accomplishments he's already far surpassed?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My only purpose on this forum might be to resist the ridiculous insistence by whichever curmudgeon(s) to rate half the threads one star. I’m undoing all of your hard work. You might as well call it quits.
Reply/Quote
I think a more athletic Peyton Manning is a better comparison than Romo.

Romo was a good qb, but not great...and never won anything.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:57 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: My only purpose on this forum might be to resist the ridiculous insistence by whichever curmudgeon(s) to rate half the threads one star. I’m undoing all of your hard work. You might as well call it quits.

Your service is appreciated
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 02:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, why cheapen Joe's image by likening him to someone whose accomplishments he's already far surpassed?

The Tony Romo comparison is wildly inaccurate.  Many takes on this board are comical, sadly, very few are surprises.

Reply/Quote