Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Joe Burrow is Tony Romo with elite fundamentals and the clutch gene
(09-01-2023, 07:41 PM)Housh Wrote: If you guys remember Romo was never known for having an insane arm or being Mike Vick athletically. But he was always a top 3 escape artist in the league and he was very accurate. He just never won the big one.

When i look at Burrow i don’t see the patience of Brady. I don’t see the surgical preparation of Manning. I see Tony Romo if Tony Romo has all his mechanics figured out and if Romo was clutch. Burrow also has an insane ability to not fumble in the pocket. Guys can be coming in on him in every direction and his ball security is so good you are never afraid of him getting the ball knocked loose.

To me that is a top 10 QB of all time. We are way to far away to put that label on Burrow but i can’t think of a better 1 for 1 comparison.

Does anyone have a better 1 for 1 comparison?

This isn't a good conparison and you took it from Cowherd.

Burrow is 6'4, Romo 6'2. Burrow is a better athlete, more accurate, and much better under pressure.

You have no idea what game prep stuff Burrow does. He is wildly intelligent and studies film like crazy.

I love the internet and hate it at the same time because of posts like the above.
Reply/Quote
“Tony Romo isn’t clutch” was one of the falsest narratives during his time in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/you-think-tony-romo-wasnt-clutch-in-big-moments-during-his-career-think-again/amp/
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I mean Patrick Mahomes is just a bigger Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
If you guys remember Travis Kelce was never known to be a great blocker.

When i look at Drew Sample, I see Kelce. Not as athletic, or capable of catching the ball, or obtain yards after catch, but a TE that was drafted in the wrong round.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 11:55 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This isn't a good conparison and you took it from Cowherd.

Burrow is 6'4, Romo 6'2. Burrow is a better athlete, more accurate, and much better under pressure.

You have no idea what game prep stuff Burrow does. He is wildly intelligent and studies film like crazy.

I love the internet and hate it at the same time because of posts like the above.

I don’t watch Cowherd’s show and i got the comparison from Tony Romo highlight videos on YouTube.

Dudes shoulders look identical to Burrows during his escapes and he does the same exact spin move Joe does.

Dookie head
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I have to remind ppl

Jokes are funny and cool

Don’t be a dick. I literally NEVER act like a dick to anyone on here and i feel like someone does it to me once a week.

If you don’t like the thread don’t post in it, or make your little joke but no need to be a dick to someone for talking about football on a football message board. Get a life

There is a line between funny snarkiness and being a dick.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 10:39 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I mean Patrick Mahomes is just a bigger Andy Dalton.

Now cmon lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
My take on NFL QBs is simple. Can they run the 2 minute drill ? Some draft people questioned Joe Montana from Notre Dame, I did not because he drove his team in less than 2 minutes to beat USC and Texas in the Cotton Bowl. John Elway beat Ohio State in last 2 minutes, as did Philip River, beat Buckeyes late in game, as did Drew Brees beat Buckeyes late in game, as did Tom Brady beat Buckeyes late in game. Dan Marino in college won big games in last 2 minutes. So any negative combine stuff did not show how great these QBs were in college on late in game comeback wins with little time on clock.

Now Romo beat Bengals late in a game with little time on the clock. We know Burrow can win games in the last 2 minutes. So many NFL games are won in the last 2 minutes, and some that have played could run the 2 minute drill, and others are great at it.

So when people look at NFL QBs, look at who can move their team and win in last 2 minutes. When looking at College QB's to draft, look to who could move their team to big wins in last 2 minutes. Some QB's are awful at it, some are good. Unitas could do it. So could Namath. I bet Otto Graham could. Joe Montana was best I ever saw in 2 minute drill, in College or NFL. Elway was good at it. Way before all your time. but Raiders would put in George Blanda at QB last 2 minutes, because he was so good at the 2 minute drill, and often he would QB the Raiders into field goal position and then make the game winning field goal, it was something to see.

So I always look at which QBs make game winning comebacks in last 2 minutes and step up. Both Romo and Burrow could run a great 2 minute drill. I doubt the Bengals bench QBs could, and why a healthy Burrow is so key to Bengals winning.

.I saw Joe Montana and Notre Dame down to USC, 80 yards to go needing a TD, one minute to go and no time outs. Somehow Montana drove those 80 yards to a win over USC. Then he pretty much did the same thing in The Cotton Bowl a few weeks later. Of course we know what he did to Bengals with little time on the clock in Super Bowl. Always look to the 2 minute drill, because many QBs can't run it, but a rare few are Masters at it. Both Romo and Burrow tough in last 2 minutes.

I thought Carson Palmer brought Bengals back to win many times last 2 minutes, but the Bengals D often gave the game away, which was just bad defense. Palmer would have had more late game wins had not Bengals D been so awful giving points right back.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Uncle Rico at the height of his glory. 1983 ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:41 PM)Housh Wrote: If you guys remember Romo was never known for having an insane arm or being Mike Vick athletically. But he was always a top 3 escape artist in the league and he was very accurate. He just never won the big one.

When i look at Burrow i don’t see the patience of Brady. I don’t see the surgical preparation of Manning. I see Tony Romo if Tony Romo has all his mechanics figured out and if Romo was clutch. Burrow also has an insane ability to not fumble in the pocket. Guys can be coming in on him in every direction and his ball security is so good you are never afraid of him getting the ball knocked loose.

To me that is a top 10 QB of all time. We are way to far away to put that label on Burrow but i can’t think of a better 1 for 1 comparison.

Hard, hard disagree on this one.  When Burrow came out my comp for him was an athletic Peyton Manning.  Didn't have a cannon for an arm, but was accurate and would beat you with his mind almost every damn time.
Reply/Quote

Hard to compare Burrow to anybody but the GOAT for me in Tom Brady. Burrow has the patience of Brady he just hasn't had 
the time in the pocket. Both have quick releases, both are stone cold killers that have a need to be the best ever and win the 
biggest games. Burrow is just much more mobile and can do everything and has a nicer release. Not near as low, but more 
pure and smooth, more like Brees in his passing motion which makes it easier for his arm to grow in strength like Brees's did.

Joe Burrow is Joe Burrow though, there can only be one.

Romo wasn't clutch at all, so I cannot see the comparison and as you say, his mechanics were not good, so that is another 
reason why I cannot see the comparison.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 02:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hard, hard disagree on this one.  When Burrow came out my comp for him was an athletic Peyton Manning.  Didn't have a cannon for an arm, but was accurate and would beat you with his mind almost every damn time.

I can see Peyton with his mind, good ole Frankenstein lol
Reply/Quote
If Tony Romo even had an ounce of Joe Burrow likeness in him then he would have never bobbled that snap on the FG attempt costing the Cowboys a playoff win
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This thread is a great example of everything wrong with this forum, and it has nothing to do with the original post.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 05:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If Tony Romo even had an ounce of Joe Burrow likeness in him then he would have never bobbled that snap on the FG attempt costing the Cowboys a playoff win

Dammit!!!!!!

You know what you just did right?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 12:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A wealthy man's Tony Romo would be a good comparison, yea.

PERFECT

This is kinda what i was saying.

And Romo was already good so a wealthy mans Romo is INSANELY good
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Tony Romo is pretty good comparison. People forget but Tony would be a HOF if it wasn't for a back injury that ended his career.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 04:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Tony Romo is pretty good comparison. People forget but Tony would be a HOF if it wasn't for a back injury that ended his career.

He likely would not have been a HoFer. He sustained the injury when he was 35 and had relatively little playoff success. Unless he played until 40-ish and reeled off a bunch of postseason success with an MVP thrown in, he wouldn't have came even close to the HoF. He didn't even start playing until he was 26. He was just way behind the curve in that regard. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 04:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Tony Romo is pretty good comparison. People forget but Tony would be a HOF if it wasn't for a back injury that ended his career.

Fail, the back injury was at the tail end of his career, which was severely lacking in big game wins, like playoff games for example.  Not sure that Tony Romo would have ever made the HOF, even if he didn't suffer that back injury.

However, this thread has pretty much been a critique of Tony Romo, rather than about Joe Burrow. So, off to Around the NFL we go..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 02:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hard, hard disagree on this one.  When Burrow came out my comp for him was an athletic Peyton Manning.  Didn't have a cannon for an arm, but was accurate and would beat you with his mind almost every damn time.

I agree, I think your comparison is probably the best. Like others noted, I was skeptical before the championship game against Clemson....after seeing that, I was pouring the Kool Aid down the hatch and over my head. I would compare to Montana, but Burrow is bigger. Therefore, I think a more athletic Manning is a good comparison.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote