Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow's stats from last year...
Joe was 24th in average passer rating 89.8. This is right above Dalton. Guys ahead of him include Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, and Baker Mayfield.

Joe was 21st in completion percentage.

Joe threw the ball a ton last year (40 times a game). This would have been second in the league behind the Steelers and he only had more than 300 yards passing 5 times.

This was my first time really looking at his stats from last year. I know his offensive line was dog shit and he was a rookie last year, but man I was expecting his numbers to be better than that.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but I'm just lowering my expectations of what to expect from him this year after reading those stats, hearing about how he looks in camp so far, and especially early on coming back from injury.

What are your guys' thoughts on his numbers from last year?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe was 24th in average passer rating 89.8. This is right above Dalton. Guys ahead of him include Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, and Baker Mayfield.

Joe threw the ball a ton last year (40 times a game). This would have been second in the league behind the Steelers and he only had more than 300 yards passing 5 times.

This was my first time really looking at his stats from last year. I know his offensive line was dog shit and he was a rookie last year, but man I was expecting his numbers to be better than that.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but I'm just lowering my expectations of what to expect from him this year after reading those stats, hearing about how he looks in camp so far, and especially early on coming back from injury.

Part of this is the offensive scheme too.
In 2019 with Taylor running the offense, the Bengals were 6th in passing attempts but only 19th in yards and 28th in TDs.
In 2020, the Bengals were 14th in passing attempts but only 27th in both passing yards and TDs.

I agree with you, people need to set their expectations lower or they're likely going to be disappointed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think/hope he'll improve on them. Improved the OL a little bit, added Chase at WR, have some NFL games under his belt now.

I'm realistic that he was meh as a rookie, but that was him as a rookie so I am not worried about it. It's rarer for rookies to be great. I don't know if he'll ever realize his full potential under a Zac Taylor offense, but I think he can still be good under him and could be great if the Bengals get a real OC and stop pissing around on getting a good IOL.

I think he takes a small step forward this year, and a real big step forward in 2022 under a new HC/OC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe was 24th in average passer rating 89.8. This is right above Dalton. Guys ahead of him include Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, and Baker Mayfield.

The brilliance or lack there of, of ZTs offense 
Reply/Quote
I think this is one of those times that stats don't tell the real story.

He's good.  Really good.  He's going to get better too.

Don't panic if he has a 'sophomore slump' he's the real deal and is going to be a great QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 08:30 PM)motoarch Wrote: I think this is one of those times that stats don't tell the real story.

Don't panic if he has a 'sophomore slump' he's the real deal and is going to be a great QB.

If he takes a step back this year ZT needs fired.  Out of a cannon.  At Cleveland.  
Reply/Quote
he played decent.. but not to the level most expected from the #1 pick... any time a pick just behind you outplays you there is concern..but lets hope he plays to the level of his draft pick and we are a happy fan base.. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 08:30 PM)motoarch Wrote: I think this is one of those times that stats don't tell the real story.

Yes this is a good temper your expectations thread. But even if he was lighting it up in camp it would be something else that is 
way wrong going on. Burrow was a rookie with a terrible OL playing in front of him with pretty damn poor play calling putting ALL
the pressure on the rookie. This was bad coaching by Turner first putting a terrible OL in front of Burrow and Mixon then Taylor 
next calling WAY too many pass plays even if we were behind.

Burrow played very well for a rookie QB with all this going against him.

Not even mentioning the terrible D that couldn't rush the other QB or stop the run worth a shit.

(08-04-2021, 08:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If he takes a step back this year ZT needs fired.  Out of a cannon.  At Cleveland.  

For sure. Think ZT takes a big step forward though, just depends on how far and if it is enough for the FO to keep him around.

Personally want him gone if we don't make the Playoffs. So he better win 10-13 games or SO LONG PAL!
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Personally want him gone if we don't make the Playoffs. So he better win 10-13 games or SO LONG PAL!

I agree....well, other than I don't think we should call him pal.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes this is a good temper your expectations thread. But even if he was lighting it up in camp it would be something else that is 
way wrong going on. Burrow was a rookie with a terrible OL playing in front of him with pretty damn poor play calling putting ALL
the pressure on the rookie. This was bad coaching by Turner first putting a terrible OL in front of Burrow and Mixon then Taylor 
next calling WAY too many pass plays even if we were behind.

Burrow played very well for a rookie QB with all this going against him.

Not even mentioning the terrible D that couldn't rush the other QB or stop the run worth a shit.

For sure. Think ZT takes a big step forward though, just depends on how far and if it is enough for the FO to keep him around.

Personally want him gone if we don't make the Playoffs. So he better win 10-13 games or SO LONG PAL!

interesting.. so if the Bengals will 8 games and Burrow plays about the same .. moves the ball but an finish in red zone and bad on big plays.. outside of firing ZT should we also be concerned with Burrow?  
Reply/Quote

Or at least not the whole story. Just think about how much better his numbers would have looked if he had 3 starting caliber WR’s (which AJ certainly wasn’t). When a guy gets 104 targets and only gives you 523 Yds and 2 TD’s (or wtv he was at when Joe went down) that’s obviously going to skew the stats negatively. And the musical chairs that went on at every single OL spot plus Joe Mixon missing so much time were also big factors.

Anyone that watched Burrow could see he passed the eye test though. At least in most of the games (Baltimore not so much). The Bengals were a REALLY bad team the year before, and they had the #1OA pick for a reason. Under all the circumstances I thought Joe played great.

Reply/Quote
Anyone with eyes saw that Burrow was special.

If he does the same thing as last year, fine. I thought he was really good considering the absolute trash trying to protect him.

Not only is his mobility probably shot (thanks to the bengals and that o-line), he’s working with a line that’s pretty much the same level of dirt as last season.

Posts like these make me feel like some of you are about to jump on the “Burrow is overrated” train.

I really hope this doesn’t happen. Otherwise I’m going to be all over you.

Not in a sexy way
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or at least not the whole story. Just think about how much better his numbers would have looked if he had 3 starting caliber WR’s (which AJ certainly wasn’t). When a guy gets 104 targets and only gives you 523 Yds and 2 TD’s that’s obviously going to skew the stats negatively. And the musical chairs that went on at every single OL spot plus Joe Mixon missing so much time were also big factors.

Anyone that watched Burrow could see he passed the eye test though. At least in most of the games (Baltimore not so much). The Bengals were a REALLY bad team, and they had the #1OA pick for a reason. Under all the circumstances I thought Joe played great.

lets reflect  bit more on your eye test..  he still only won 2 games in this starts and his stats outside of his two game stats with Cleveland 
Cleveland he averaged around 360 yards a game and 6 td s

Not counting Washington (6 games)  he average around 290 yards a game and about a TD passing a game.  and   considering his  passing attempts were NFL records based, i see that as below average .. i agree as a rookie he played well so but so did Dalton who came into a very similar situation with team, record and uncertainty but Joe was consensus number 1 draft pick and i would say was just average on meeting expectations overall..  In the end as the #1 pick winning 2 games out of 10 was a bit of a disappointment and the lack of success in the red zone which means we actually had a chance to score more TDS than we did which like or not go backs to the QB more than anyone else
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:23 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Posts like these make me feel like some of you are about to jump on the “Burrow is overrated” train.

I think it's less likely that people are going to get on that train and more likely people will get on the "Maybe we shouldn't have been so indignant when the national media questioned if the Bengals were going to ruin Burrow" train.

IF things aren't good this year and it's on ZT hopefully we move on from him and just call Burrow's first 2 years an unpleasant "live and learn" and move on.  The thing is, we as a fanbase seem to, during any given year, have either "the players" or "the coaches" in our sights when it comes to placing blame.  ZT and the coaches are the ones with their heads on the chopping block this year so if Burrow isn't very good the fingers are getting pointed at ZT.

As I've said before, I could see us overachieving this year, but I can also see us 365 days from now excitedly talking about finally getting to see what Burrow and company can do with a REAL head coach.
Reply/Quote

I'm guessing the point was to shit on Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree....well, other than I don't think we should call him pal.

I will give him the year before calling him something else... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: interesting.. so if the Bengals will 8 games and Burrow plays about the same .. moves the ball but an finish in red zone and bad on big plays.. outside of firing ZT should we also be concerned with Burrow?  

Depends on if ZT is doing the hampering now doesn't it? Depends on a lot of things.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think it's less likely that people are going to get on that train and more likely people will get on the "Maybe we shouldn't have been so indignant when the national media questioned if the Bengals were going to ruin Burrow" train.

IF things aren't good this year and it's on ZT hopefully we move on from him and just call Burrow's first 2 years an unpleasant "live and learn" and move on.  The thing is, we as a fanbase seem to, during any given year, have either "the players" or "the coaches" in our sights when it comes to placing blame.  ZT and the coaches are the ones with their heads on the chopping block this year so if Burrow isn't very good the fingers are getting pointed at ZT.

As I've said before, I could see us overachieving this year, but I can also see us 365 days from now excitedly talking about finally getting to see what Burrow and company can do with a REAL head coach.

Idek what to make of ZT. He comes from the mcvay tree, and wants to implement that offense here.

Thing is, those Mcvay teams have good lines and are able to run it down people’s faces.

Zac can’t get that going here with this o-line personnel.

I don’t think zac can progress properly with a hamstrung offense.

I think of young or first time head coaches like young qb’s

like how some qb’s never develop properly due to bad o-lines (David carr for example)

I get the disdain for him though. I guess
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: lets reflect  bit more on your eye test..  he still only won 2 games in this starts and his stats outside of his two game stats with Cleveland 
Cleveland he averaged around 360 yards a game and 6 td s

Not counting Washington (6 games)  he average around 290 yards a game and about a TD passing a game.  and   considering his  passing attempts were NFL records based, i see that as below average .. i agree as a rookie he played well so but so did Dalton who came into a very similar situation with team, record and uncertainty but Joe was consensus number 1 draft pick and i would say was just average on meeting expectations overall..  In the end as the #1 pick winning 2 games out of 10 was a bit of a disappointment and the lack of success in the red zone which means we actually had a chance to score more TDS than we did which like or not go backs to the QB more than anyone else

[Image: 33d.gif]

Not doing this with you for the millionth time.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think it's less likely that people are going to get on that train and more likely people will get on the "Maybe we shouldn't have been so indignant when the national media questioned if the Bengals were going to ruin Burrow" train.

funny that you want to blame the coach but not the QB that never played in the NFL either.. rarely is is one only and not both.. and with  a QB that has no track record in the NFL, I find it hard to totally blame the coach.. 
Reply/Quote