Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow's stats from last year...
(08-09-2021, 01:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: OMG!  You actually believe that college stats determine who is the most talented QB?

That is just precious.

I am sure you will make a lot of money betting on Kyle Trask to be a much better NFL QB than Trevor Lawrence.  Can't believe that every single NFL scout missed on that.

LOL

Not only stats, I watched the dude play, he was the best I have ever seen and it is only the beginning.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 09:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dalton had a better team, better coach so far and a better O-line. If you cannot take that into account you're nuts Essex...

There is no comparison. Burrow is the most talented QB that has ever came out of college as he had the best season as a QB in 
college at the biggest stage in the SEC of any QB ever. Name another guy or shut your face. Sick of the comparisons. Dalton does
not deserve it, nor does Burrow. They are completely different in about every aspect.

We all hope it comes to fruition as Bengal fans. No need to compare them. Burrow will be fine if our OL protects him which I think
they will and we get our running game going which I think we may from the new news about the Wide Zone scheme Pollack is 
implementing. This should be our bounce back, breakout year and if not get rid of Zac Taylor.

Ummmm... hold up....

Let's not get carried away here now. Burrow is better than Dalton, but you just placed him better then HoF QBs. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:14 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ummmm... hold up....

Let's not get carried away here now. Burrow is better than Dalton, but you just placed him better then HoF QBs. 

We will see how good he becomes if his OL gets better but he was definitely the best QB I have ever watched in college.

Don't know about you, but that is what I saw. We will see if he becomes a HOF QB himself. Wouldn't bet against it if we put the
proper players around Smokin' Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see how good he becomes if his OL gets better but he was definitely the best QB I have ever watched in college.

Don't know about you, but that is what I saw. We will see if he becomes a HOF QB himself. Wouldn't bet against it if we put the
proper players around Smokin' Joe Burrow.

I think he can be a very good QB and certainly one of the best in Cincinnati, but Boomer and Ken Anderson still aren't in the HoF (for whatever reason) so unless he wins a Super Bowl or two I don't see him getting into the HoF.

Also, with the best in college statement, he had a record breaking season but how can you rank his one season as better then say the entire college career of Manning?

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not only stats, I watched the dude play, he was the best I have ever seen and it is only the beginning.

You obviously did not watch him in 2018 when he ranked 12th in passer rating in the 14 team SEC.

You know, the year LSU did not have an all-time record number of players taken in the NFL draft.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:35 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think he can be a very good QB and certainly one of the best in Cincinnati, but Boomer and Ken Anderson still aren't in the HoF (for whatever reason) so unless he wins a Super Bowl or two I don't see him getting into the HoF.

Also, with the best in college statement, he had a record breaking season but how can you rank his one season as better then say the entire college career of Manning?

I understand that. Just saying watching Burrow's great season was the best season I have seen by a College QB.

We will see if he wins a Super Bowl or two I am not betting against him if we get a good OL in front of him and have some good 
weapons, a good Defense and good Special Teams.

(08-09-2021, 07:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You obviously did not watch him in 2018 when he ranked 12th in passer rating in the 14 team SEC.

You know, the year LSU did not have an all-time record number of players taken in the NFL draft.

No I didn't watch that season at the time but he also wasn't as bad as you make out. Was his warm up year before he blew up.

He was also coming off injury and yeah, he didn't have near as many good players around him as his breakout season where he 
threw 60 TD's and 6 interceptions and beat down the SEC and Clemson.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 09:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dalton had a better team, better coach so far and a better O-line. If you cannot take that into account you're nuts Essex...

There is no comparison. Burrow is the most talented QB that has ever came out of college as he had the best season as a QB in 
college at the biggest stage in the SEC of any QB ever. Name another guy or shut your face. Sick of the comparisons. Dalton does
not deserve it, nor does Burrow. They are completely different in about every aspect.

We all hope it comes to fruition as Bengal fans. No need to compare them. Burrow will be fine if our OL protects him which I think
they will and we get our running game going which I think we may from the new news about the Wide Zone scheme Pollack is 
implementing. This should be our bounce back, breakout year and if not get rid of Zac Taylor.

Dalton came into a very bad team also and with probably more chaos with the Palmer thing.. many on here said Marvin was done, and with the success that Dalton had 1st year, could we not argue he made the line better by getting the ball out quick, and he was successful in the 4th quarter, something we normally said Marvin was not great in coaching comebacks in the 4th quarter.. so the Bengals first year  turn around could also be attributed to Dalton as much also..   Funny Dalton wins and its because of everything else but him 1st year.. Burrow loses and its because of everyone else.. damn that makes no sense
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 11:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Dalton came into a very bad team also and with probably more chaos with the Palmer thing.. many on here said Marvin was done, and with the success that Dalton had 1st year, could we not argue he made the line better by getting the ball out quick, and he was successful in the 4th quarter, something we normally said Marvin was not great in coaching comebacks in the 4th quarter.. so the Bengals first year  turn around could also be attributed to Dalton as much also..   Funny Dalton wins and its because of everything else but him 1st year.. Burrow loses and its because of everyone else.. damn that makes no sense

I like Dalton

Dalton would’ve been near historically bad with that 2020 offensive roster.

It would be reminiscent of rookie Jared Goff
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 11:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Dalton came into a very bad team also and with probably more chaos with the Palmer thing.. many on here said Marvin was done, and with the success that Dalton had 1st year, could we not argue he made the line better by getting the ball out quick, and he was successful in the 4th quarter, something we normally said Marvin was not great in coaching comebacks in the 4th quarter.. so the Bengals first year  turn around could also be attributed to Dalton as much also..   Funny Dalton wins and its because of everything else but him 1st year.. Burrow loses and its because of everyone else.. damn that makes no sense

Makes a lot of sense with the trenches being as bad as they were for Burrow and on Defense.

You calling Burrow a loser cause the trenches were terrible makes no sense to me.

Just quit comparing the two. They are completely different QB's and Dalton had the better trenches no question to help him and 
SO FAR the much better coaching staff. We will see how Pollack and Hobby help everything and see with decent trenches if we 
can compete and win more than half our games finally. 

(08-09-2021, 11:27 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I like Dalton

Dalton would’ve been near historically bad with that 2020 offensive roster.

It would be reminiscent of rookie Jared Goff

ThumbsUp

LOL, not liking agreeing with you as I was a Dalton supporter as well. Ha ha  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Bengals fans in 2020 - Why would the media make the ridiculous argument that Burrow should be afraid to be drafted by the Bengals?
Bengals fans in 2021 - Here are a bunch of reasons why 2020 was a hopeless situation for Burrow....
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not only stats, I watched the dude play, he was the best I have ever seen and it is only the beginning.

But only 1 year worth  could have just been the prefect storm for him that year that might never come again
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bengals fans in 2020 - Why would the media make the ridiculous argument that Burrow should be afraid to be drafted by the Bengals?
Bengals fans in 2021 - Here are a bunch of reasons why 2020 was a hopeless situation for Burrow....

This might be the most accurate and honest post I've ever seen on any version of the boards.

Reply/Quote
Should have posted this earlier in the thread.  Now that it is buried at the end it might get lost.  But I think it says A LOT on the subject of BUrrows stats his rookie season.

In Vince Young's rookie season he was 8-5 as a starter and went to the Pro Bowl. Robert Griffen III was 9-6, finished 3rd in the league in passer rating, and rushed for over 800 yards.

Meanwhile in Peyton Manning's first season he led the league in interceptions, finished 23rd in passer rating, and only won 3 games.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: But only 1 year worth  could have just been the prefect storm for him that year that might never come again

Hope this isn't the case. I like how Taylor is trying to make this roster somewhat mimic that one that year.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Should have posted this earlier in the thread.  Now that it is buried at the end it might get lost.  But I think it says A LOT on the subject of BUrrows stats his rookie season.

In Vince Young's rookie season he was 8-5 as a starter and went to the Pro Bowl.  Robert Griffen III was 9-6, finished 3rd in the league in passer rating, and rushed for over 800 yards.

Meanwhile in Peyton Manning's first season he led the league in interceptions, finished 23rd in passer rating, and only won 3 games.

Yeah, yah never know. Doubt he ends up like Vince or RG3, sure as hell hope not. Hope his career is more like Peyton's.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 11:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes a lot of sense with the trenches being as bad as they were for Burrow and on Defense.

You calling Burrow a loser cause the trenches were terrible makes no sense to me.

Just quit comparing the two. They are completely different QB's and Dalton had the better trenches no question to help him and 
SO FAR the much better coaching staff. We will see how Pollack and Hobby help everything and see with decent trenches if we 
can compete and win more than half our games finally. 

ThumbsUp

LOL, not liking agreeing with you as I was a Dalton supporter as well. Ha ha  Hilarious
I wont compare them until after this year especially on offense, since Burrow now has a very good group of skilled players and we invested into the offensive line more than we had in the past a d to many have a better Oline coach. As for you maybe stop trying to assume what Dalton as a rookie would have done now.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 08:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I wont compare them until after this year especially on offense, since Burrow now has a very good group of skilled players and we invested into the offensive line more than we had in the past a d to many have a better Oline coach. As for you maybe stop trying to assume what Dalton as a rookie would have done now.

Alrighty then...
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe was 24th in average passer rating 89.8. This is right above Dalton. Guys ahead of him include Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, and Baker Mayfield.

Joe was 21st in completion percentage.

Joe threw the ball a ton last year (40 times a game). This would have been second in the league behind the Steelers and he only had more than 300 yards passing 5 times.

This was my first time really looking at his stats from last year. I know his offensive line was dog shit and he was a rookie last year, but man I was expecting his numbers to be better than that.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but I'm just lowering my expectations of what to expect from him this year after reading those stats, hearing about how he looks in camp so far, and especially early on coming back from injury.

What are your guys' thoughts on his numbers from last year?

Has a rookie QB ever started week 1 before without even taking a pre-season snap?
From that perspective what he did was unprecedented.

Of course there were rookies struggles and inconsistencies was expected. The expectation though was for these to be ironed out as he gained NFL experience through the season and for him to pad his stats when we faced the soft part of the schedule. Alas, injury intervened and we never got to see how many yards he'd have racked up against the Giants, Texans, Cowboys etc. I was also disappointed we didn't get to see how well he adjusted to seeing the Ravens and Steelers second time around. That his completion percentage shot up 15% when he faced Cleveland for a second time gives me cause for optimism.

Generally, I think the offense was starting to hum when he was injured. The first half v Indy, the second Cleveland game, beating Tennessee. That's three decent enough sides the Bengals were scoring on and racking up yards against. I know the Athletic guys keep referencing that the Bengals were 2nd in points per drive for his final month (think I have that stat right). You seemed surprised that his numbers were low which suggests that he passes the eye test. I don't expect the gap between 24th and, say, 12th is all that and would have closed had he played the entire year.

He'll probably start slowly coming off injury but the stats will come.

(08-11-2021, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bengals fans in 2020 - Why would the media make the ridiculous argument that Burrow should be afraid to be drafted by the Bengals?

It's a fair point but I would point out that at least some of those issues - no pre-season games, no rookie minicamp, lack of in person meetings, no/restricted crowds (although this would probably be considered an advantage), lack of throwing time with receivers outside of training camp - would be league wide issues rather than Bengal issues.
Reply/Quote
His stats at the end were shocking to be to be honest because the dude impressed me in almost every game he played.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Should have posted this earlier in the thread.  Now that it is buried at the end it might get lost.  But I think it says A LOT on the subject of BUrrows stats his rookie season.

In Vince Young's rookie season he was 8-5 as a starter and went to the Pro Bowl.  Robert Griffen III was 9-6, finished 3rd in the league in passer rating, and rushed for over 800 yards.

I have to second this. Too early to be worried. But the Bengals' FO needs to make it easier for him no doubt.
Reply/Quote