Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Burrow thoughts from a hand surgeon
I'm not even going to bring up the Bengal's history with young, promising QBs and injuries. 

Not gonna do it...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Burrow has taken a beating in his career so far and the Bengals have to keep addressing it this off season. Online upgrade plus better RPO would be helpful in protecting the remaining years of his all too short career.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 10:28 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Hypothetically speaking, what if he didn't come back from injury?  I would think his salary would still be counted against the cap until it was manageable to cut him?  OverTheCap lists a potential out as being 2028 with a dead cap of $15 million.  

If he wasn't able to play, how would the team afford another QB?  Just find the cheapest option out there and take it on the chin for a few seasons?  I wonder if the state of Joe's wrist will be a factor in signing Tee?  I mean, Jake could bridge the gap for another year, but he's going to get more money in 2025 naturally.

Just makes me wonder though, not trying to be a debbie downer.  It's hard to believe Joe isn't playing for a title this year.  It's really hard to stomach.

This is my understanding.  Burrow's contract included 219M in injury guarantees.  If he was forced to retire this offseason the Bengals would likely medically retire him but before that they would re-work his deal and sign him at vet minimum in 2024 to be on IR in order to make arrangements for the full payment process which has to be completed and count against the cap over the next 2 seasons, with half of the 219M due in 2025 and the other half in 2026.

This would be by far the largest loss and cap hit to any team in league history.  Im sure we would apply for some type of relief in order to stay competitive. 

Reply/Quote
Burrow is one of the premiere QB's in the league, and I have yet to hear even one person on Sirius question his recovery. I think if there was any kind of chance he was done, they would be discussing it.
Reply/Quote
I don't know enough to comment (I know, it usually doesn't stop me). I'm just hoping for a complete recovery.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burrow is one of the premiere QB's in the league, and I have yet to hear even one person on Sirius question his recovery. I think if there was any kind of chance he was done, they would be discussing it.

I don't think anyone thinks/knows if he's done (that would be terrible), but he may be dealing with it or possibly reinjuring it within 2-5 years from some what doctors say (it's not a 100% chance success surgery). You can bet Sirius will be talking about it after the cameras zoom into Burrow's hand if he ever flexes it or makes a bad throw/winces/etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 11:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It just sucks it happened to his throwing hand.

My worry isn't him not being able to initially come back - it's that he reinjures it now that it's compromised.

If he reinjures it, then he (and us) are basically ******. You aren't coming back from that same injury twice.

The impact IS going to happen again. He IS going to get knocked down and he's going to use that same exact hand to brace his fall. Chances of it holding up for 10 more years of these types of hits? I mean...

From watching the replay, Clowneys hand was on top of Burrows. It was still there when Joe tried to get up. Makes me wonder if that didn't have something to do with the injury. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: From watching the replay, Clowneys hand was on top of Burrows. It was still there when Joe tried to get up. Makes me wonder if that didn't have something to do with the injury. 

My theory:

Burrow cushioned his fall with his hand much lower than normal.  Normal being up towards his head when hitting the ground.  Clowney had a hold of his arms not allowing his arms to extend forward thus his wrist was closer to his waist with his forearm at more of a 90 degree angle at the wrist forcing all the weight straight down, versus if his hand was closer to his head the wrist would hit the ground at a much more open angle and not take all the weight.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burrow is one of the premiere QB's in the league, and I have yet to hear even one person on Sirius question his recovery. I think if there was any kind of chance he was done, they would be discussing it.

Yeah...I think the doom and gloom is over the top. Without knowing specifics of the injury...ie how bad the ligament was hurt, etc. This is all wild speculation.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I don't think anyone thinks/knows if he's done (that would be terrible), but he may be dealing with it or possibly reinjuring it within 2-5 years from some what doctors say (it's not a 100% chance success surgery). You can bet Sirius will be talking about it after the cameras zoom into Burrow's hand if he ever flexes it or makes a bad throw/winces/etc.

Is any surgery 100% chance success?

I'd rather have the surgeon that Burrow had than the surgeon at your local hospital though.

The reinjury narrative also is overblown. I recall some saying that about his knee.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't know enough to comment (I know, it usually doesn't stop me). I'm just hoping for a complete recovery.

Embrace your HoF status and speak freely. I'm with you though, my field of work isn't remotely close to the medical field. It's hard to give an opinion. I'll just eagerly wait the time until Burrow takes the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: My theory:

Burrow cushioned his fall with his hand much lower than normal.  Normal being up towards his head when hitting the ground.  Clowney had a hold of his arms not allowing his arms to extend forward thus his wrist was closer to his waist with his forearm at more of a 90 degree angle at the wrist forcing all the weight straight down, versus if his hand was closer to his head the wrist would hit the ground at a much more open angle and not take all the weight.

Agree. But I have to wonder if the joint/ligament was already compromised some which is why he was wearing the brace. He might have thought it was normal soreness and there would've been no way to know without an MRI, but seems plausible 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 02:16 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This is my understanding.  Burrow's contract included 219M in injury guarantees.  If he was forced to retire this offseason the Bengals would likely medically retire him but before that they would re-work his deal and sign him at vet minimum in 2024 to be on IR in order to make arrangements for the full payment process which has to be completed and count against the cap over the next 2 seasons, with half of the 219M due in 2025 and the other half in 2026.

This would be by far the largest loss and cap hit to any team in league history.  Im sure we would apply for some type of relief in order to stay competitive. 

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  But wow, that would be catastrophic for sure.  
I bet the Brown Family is watching this much closer than we are.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is any surgery 100% chance success?

I'd rather have the surgeon that Burrow had than the surgeon at your local hospital though.

The reinjury narrative also is overblown. I recall some saying that about his knee.

I think the whole calf thing wore us all down this past season.  Now, a bunch of us are all paranoid. Hilarious
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:24 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Agree. But I have to wonder if the joint/ligament was already compromised some which is why he was wearing the brace. He might have thought it was normal soreness and there would've been no way to know without an MRI, but seems plausible 

Multiple doctors, including his surgeon, have stated that it was an acute injury, which is the the opposite of a lingering problem.  Having a sore elbow then breaking your arm are too different things is how I have understood this situation.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 10:28 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Hypothetically speaking, what if he didn't come back from injury?  I would think his salary would still be counted against the cap until it was manageable to cut him?  OverTheCap lists a potential out as being 2028 with a dead cap of $15 million.  

If he wasn't able to play, how would the team afford another QB?  Just find the cheapest option out there and take it on the chin for a few seasons?  I wonder if the state of Joe's wrist will be a factor in signing Tee?  I mean, Jake could bridge the gap for another year, but he's going to get more money in 2025 naturally.

Just makes me wonder though, not trying to be a debbie downer.  It's hard to believe Joe isn't playing for a title this year.  It's really hard to stomach.
My guess would be, we have Browning till the 2025 draft and hopefully we can find a franchise QB... Not saying that excites me.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:53 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think the whole calf thing wore us all down this past season.  Now, a bunch of us are all paranoid. Hilarious

Yeah. Teams in general tend to mislead on injuries. They want to sell those tickets.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: My theory:

Sounds very plausible to me.
Reply/Quote
I read the 2 posts i feel everyone would agree explain Joe’s injury and i HATE to say this but i don’t see how Burrow is ever the same. He’s been getting beat up his whole career and now has 2 huge injuries g huh
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Burrow is going to be fine, we'd know if there were any issues by now.

All I want is Joey B to have a full training camp/preseason and for this team to come out of the gate with wins.
Reply/Quote