Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Burrow thoughts from a hand surgeon
(01-17-2024, 03:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I don't think anyone thinks/knows if he's done (that would be terrible), but he may be dealing with it or possibly reinjuring it within 2-5 years from some what doctors say (it's not a 100% chance success surgery). You can bet Sirius will be talking about it after the cameras zoom into Burrow's hand if he ever flexes it or makes a bad throw/winces/etc.

If he ever injures it again, let's make sure we've won a SB or two first.

It would suck, HARD if his career did end prematurely, but if we win it all, it'll make the blow A LOT more cushioned.

(01-17-2024, 05:24 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Agree. But I have to wonder if the joint/ligament was already compromised some which is why he was wearing the brace. He might have thought it was normal soreness and there would've been no way to know without an MRI, but seems plausible 

1. It wasn't a brace FFS: are people still going on about this?
2. Caesar covered it well above: you can't predict an acute injury, otherwise we should wear braces/casts/whatever on our entire body, if we could avoid them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 07:13 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: Burrow is going to be fine, we'd know if there were any issues by now.

All I want is Joey B to have a full training camp/preseason and for this team to come out of the gate with wins.

I like everyone hope he will be fine, but I doubt we would know if there was any issues by now. We really won't know until we see with our own eyes him throwing with the same velocity.

Either way he is going to be hit and he is going to hit the ground, so this injury will be traumatic for fans as we worry every time he braces a fall, hand first. Not ideal, and it really sucks to not enjoy a play until we see him get back up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 01:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: I like everyone hope he will be fine, but I doubt we would know if there was any issues by now. We really won't know until we see with our own eyes him throwing with the same velocity.

Either way he is going to be hit and he is going to hit the ground, so this injury will be traumatic for fans as we worry every time he braces a fall, hand first. Not ideal, and it really sucks to not enjoy a play until we see him get back up.

I'm not sure if I should be watching the knee or the wrist or something else at this point.   Sad  
Get better blocking, play under center, establish the run and get rid of the ball quick like Marino used to do!  
Burrow's brain won't be able to help us if his body can't go.  *looks for bubble wrap* Tongue
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 10:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If he ever injures it again, let's make sure we've won a SB or two first.

It would suck, HARD if his career did end prematurely, but if we win it all, it'll make the blow A LOT more cushioned.

1. It wasn't a brace FFS: are people still going on about this?
2. Caesar covered it well above: you can't predict an acute injury, otherwise we should wear braces/casts/whatever on our entire body, if we could avoid them.

It was something. And his throwing motion could have led to that ligament deteriorating or it was already weakened causing discomfort which is why he wore that thing that looked like a brace but you're saying isn't a brace. Use your brain for me one time
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 03:43 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: It was something. And his throwing motion could have led to that ligament deteriorating or it was already weakened causing discomfort which is why he wore that thing that looked like a brace but you're saying isn't a brace. Use your brain for me one time

1. It was something for the wrist, used for times of discomfort.
2. He tore a 1.5 cm ligament in his HAND, not wrist.
3. It was acute, so it was not weakened.

Christ, I'm not a doctor, but I have a VERY good head for medical crap, have been certified in first aid for over 5 years (knew about all this before then, though) and legitimately saved my best man's index finger from becoming gangrenous, 12 years ago: that thing was absolutely NOT a brace and something like that would absolutely NOT stabilize or strengthen a 1.5 cm ligament in the hand.

So, who needs to use their brain?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 04:11 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. It was something for the wrist, used for times of discomfort.
2. He tore a 1.5 cm ligament in his HAND, not wrist.
3. It was acute, so it was not weakened.

Christ, I'm not a doctor, but I have a VERY good head for medical crap, have been certified in first aid for over 5 years (knew about all this before then, though) and legitimately saved my best man's index finger from becoming gangrenous, 12 years ago: that thing was absolutely NOT a brace and something like that would absolutely NOT stabilize or strengthen a 1.5 cm ligament in the hand.

So, who needs to use their brain?

He wore it because it was sore. End of story. Ligament was compromised prior 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 04:47 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: He wore it because it was sore. End of story. Ligament was compromised prior

1. His wrist may have been sore, we don't know. 0 to do with that ligament.
2. Ligament was NOT compromised, prior.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 04:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. His wrist may have been sore, we don't know. 0 to do with that ligament.
2. Ligament was NOT compromised, prior.

Don't speak on things you don't know to be facts 

You know nothing 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 06:10 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Don't speak on things you don't know to be facts 

You know nothing 

Hand surgeon does though, and he plainly said it was an acute injury. He landed weird, Clowney was on top of him, and he was pushing down on that hand with his own when they landed. The type of "brace" in question would be to immobilize the wrist joint, not the hand. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 06:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hand surgeon does though, and he plainly said it was an acute injury. He landed weird, Clowney was on top of him, and he was pushing down on that hand with his own when they landed. The type of "brace" in question would be to immobilize the wrist joint, not the hand. 

Yes, it was an acute injury.  His wrist was bothering him prior and may/likely made it weaker.  Yeah, the ligament he tore was in his wrist, same wrist he was treating for some sort of discomfort immediately prior to the acute injury 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 07:32 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Yes, it was an acute injury.  His wrist was bothering him prior and may/likely made it weaker.  Yeah, the ligament he tore was in his wrist, same wrist he was treating for some sort of discomfort immediately prior to the acute injury 

How do you know the discomfort in his wrist was due to his scapholunate ligament and not a tendonitis or a intrinsic hand muscle issue or a condition like anterior interosseus nerve impingement? How do you know he wasn't having an issue with his abductor pollicis longus? what would have weakened his scapholunate ligament? That ligament is very stable barring something like prolonged, extensive corticosteroid use or a prior injury to it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 07:49 PM)burreauxs Wrote: How do you know the discomfort in his wrist was due to his scapholunate ligament and not a tendonitis or a intrinsic hand muscle issue or a condition like anterior interosseus nerve impingement? How do you know he wasn't having an issue with his abductor pollicis longus? what would have weakened his scapholunate ligament? That ligament is very stable barring something like prolonged, extensive corticosteroid use or a prior injury to it. 

I'm not sure if you just made up a bunch of things, or just ate the whole webmd.com website too quickly and then threw it up.  Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 07:49 PM)burreauxs Wrote: How do you know the discomfort in his wrist was due to his scapholunate ligament and not a tendonitis or a intrinsic hand muscle issue or a condition like anterior interosseus nerve impingement? How do you know he wasn't having an issue with his abductor pollicis longus? what would have weakened his scapholunate ligament? That ligament is very stable barring something like prolonged, extensive corticosteroid use or a prior injury to it. 

All connected. He clearly had issues with the wrist. 

Use your brain guys 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 01:30 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Burrow has taken a beating in his career so far and the Bengals have to keep addressing it this off season. Online upgrade plus better RPO would be helpful in protecting the remaining years of his all too short career.

It is the nature of the position, and to be honest, QBs are way more protected now then they were just a decade ago.. Hell Howell from Washington played every game and set a record of 65 sacks...

You can only do so much with the Oline where have other areas of need also which could either weaken the offense regardless of an improved like or weaken the defense more so we lose since we can't stop other teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Embrace your HoF status and speak freely. I'm with you though, my field of work isn't remotely close to the medical field. It's hard to give an opinion. I'll just eagerly wait the time until Burrow takes the field.

How many of us actually played in the NFL? If that's the case, probably only 2 of us in this forum could speak.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is any surgery 100% chance success?

I'd rather have the surgeon that Burrow had than the surgeon at your local hospital though.

The reinjury narrative also is overblown. I recall some saying that about his knee.

You're playing with numbers there, if some surgery was 20% success and one was 98% success, you could still say "is any surgery 100% success". Yeah you want a number higher than what some doctors have said about Burrow's injury/surgery. Also, whatever definition they use for success, it could still be "as good as before, with chronic pain" type deal lol.

I just want a superbowl, I hope he doesn't reinjure it. None of us have control over whether he will.

I don't know what you think about my local hospital but I live in Cleveland, they have better doctors than your local hospital. Lol. I get your point though.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 08:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm not sure if you just made up a bunch of things, or just ate the whole webmd.com website too quickly and then threw it up.  Ninja

I actually just used my big fat doctor brain
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 10:08 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: All connected. He clearly had issues with the wrist. 

Use your brain guys 

None of the things I mentioned would predispose someone to (or increase risk for) a traumatic scapholunate ligament tear. Use your brain.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 09:11 AM)burreauxs Wrote: None of the things I mentioned would predispose someone to (or increase risk for) a traumatic scapholunate ligament tear. Use your brain.

Don't care what you mentioned.  An already sore wrist in a brace had something going on that MAY have made the tear more likely to occur.  Think of a pitcher who has a throwing motion that puts strain on a ligament then one day it had enough and pops.  You cannot say with any certainty, nor can anyone else, that Joe's throwing motion or a previous incident wasn't impacting that ligament.  Because something in his wrist required that brace he was wearing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 05:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm actually a bit concerned with the injury, more so than the knee.

Hoping for the best but bracing for the worst.

Don't worry. He'll be back to taking 10 sacks a game in no time.

Reply/Quote