Poll: Who do you take if they were both in the same draft year?
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence
(12-30-2019, 11:21 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: He has beautiful woman hair, but he far from looks like a woman lol

He needs to grow facial hair; from (many) angles, he literally looks like the sister of a friend of mine... save she has shorter hair LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well if we draft Burrow and he tanks (he won't), then we can draft Lawrence next year if he comes out (he is a sophomore now) in 2021 draft.

I like Lawrence a lot and think he becomes a franchise QB, but no reason Burrow also won't become a franchise QB.

Our bigger question in reality is who do we keep as the Burrow back up since likely AD is leaving. Do we want a rookie and 2 second year QB backups (no NFL experience really) in 2020? Can these young guys make up for losing AD's brains and experience on the sidelines?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well if we draft Burrow and he tanks (he won't), then we can draft Lawrence next year if he comes out (he is a sophomore now) in 2021 draft.

I like Lawrence a lot and think he becomes a franchise QB, but no reason Burrow also won't become a franchise QB.

Our bigger question in reality is who do we keep as the Burrow back up since likely AD is leaving. Do we want a rookie and 2 second year QB backups (no NFL experience really) in 2020? Can these young guys make up for losing AD's brains and experience on the sidelines?

I'd like Tannenhill same as last year, but that depends on what his market ends up being. I believe he has a lot of connections with the coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 10:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Good to see I'm not the only person who isn't a big fan of the guy who looks like a woman.

Lawrence isn't a Mayfield-esque bust, but you heard it here first; he will be nothing more than a middling starter in the NFL. Period.

I don't get why everyone is so enamoured with him.

And he looks like a woman.

I think people are enamored with him because he has obvious physical tools, he's undefeated as a starter, and he's Watson's successor.  

However, looking at them side by side, Lawrence still seems like a poor man's DeShaun Watson.  The only thing he does better is protect the football.

Wins are great, but a big thing I look for in a QB is if they are carrying their team.  Burrow is carrying LSU, no doubt.  Lawrence isn't carrying Clemson, though.  He's more of a cog in the machine at this point.

Again, the hype with Trevor from last year was that he was already good and was going to take another step forward and become elite.  That didn't happen.  Burrow has made that jump, and in a hypothetical situation where both are in the same draft, you can't take a guy who might make that jump over one that has.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:23 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He needs to grow facial hair; from (many) angles, he literally looks like the sister of a friend of mine... save she has shorter hair LOL

Every time i see him, i think he needs to be on a surf board, ride some waves somewhere. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Trevor Lawrence:

[Image: 28200079._SX540_.jpg]
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well if we draft Burrow and he tanks (he won't), then we can draft Lawrence next year if he comes out (he is a sophomore now) in 2021 draft.

Experience I’ll give you, but by all accounts Burrow’s football smarts are off the charts. Son a coach, and he reportedly studies tape like a madman. It might be his single biggest attribute as a QB. Although accuracy would be a close second.

Reply/Quote
Trevor Lawrence:

[Image: fabio.jpg]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
So how about this thread.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 10:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Good to see I'm not the only person who isn't a big fan of the guy who looks like a woman.

Lawrence isn't a Mayfield-esque bust, but you heard it here first; he will be nothing more than a middling starter in the NFL. Period.

I don't get why everyone is so enamoured with him.

And he looks like a woman.

I'll admit I haven't seen Lawrence play much and you can't really judge a player on one game. But having said that a lot of the flaws in Lawrence's game were on display last night. He folds under pressure, his accuracy suffers when he's moving, and I'm not so sure he's all that great at reading defenses ?

To me Burrow is better and it's not even close. Oh and I too think Lawrence looks like a girl.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 08:11 AM)Big Boss Wrote: So how about this thread.

Aging like a fine wine.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think people are enamored with him because he has obvious physical tools, he's undefeated as a starter, and he's Watson's successor.  

However, looking at them side by side, Lawrence still seems like a poor man's DeShaun Watson.  The only thing he does better is protect the football.

Wins are great, but a big thing I look for in a QB is if they are carrying their team.  Burrow is carrying LSU, no doubt.  Lawrence isn't carrying Clemson, though.  He's more of a cog in the machine at this point.

Again, the hype with Trevor from last year was that he was already good and was going to take another step forward and become elite.  That didn't happen.  Burrow has made that jump, and in a hypothetical situation where both are in the same draft, you can't take a guy who might make that jump over one that has.

I repped this when it was posted, but this is a fantastic post by Whatever; at the very least, Lawrence needs one more year of seasoning and maturing, otherwise my thoughts on him being a middling starter may come true.

I can't reiterate enough that last year's Clemson team was ridiculous on defense and even though they were #1 this year again, they will NOT have 4 first rounders and 3 from the dline; the d was (slightly) worse and the team couldn't come through in the clutch, on the biggest stage.

They too will need to mature, seemingly, but on an LSU team stacked with great seniors and Juniors that will declare, they were not able to muster up the balls (courage) and the leadership to win the game.

Next year, I'd say Clemson is the top favourite for the NC, but we'll see (I still loathe them lol).

(01-14-2020, 09:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll admit I haven't seen Lawrence play much and you can't really judge a player on one game. But having said that a lot of the flaws in Lawrence's game were on display last night. He folds under pressure, his accuracy suffers when he's moving, and I'm not so sure he's all that great at reading defenses ?

To me Burrow is better and it's not even close. Oh and I too think Lawrence looks like a girl.

Absolutely.

Again, I wish it didn't look all hindsighty, but I wanted to draft Burrow after last year (the Fiesta Bowl was what cemented that for me), as I am an LSU fan and he has been the best QB since Mettenberger (I was perfectly happy drafting him in the 3rd, groom him behind Andy for one season while his contract played out, but obviously that's out the window now lol).

Now that we're essentially forced to take him at 1, I'm over the moon Big Grin

Lawrence missed 8 or 9 straight passes into the 4th quarter and they even showed the stat, that 13 of his incompletions were overthrows; he may have a cannon, but he doesn't have the touch (yet) that Burrow or more-seasoned guys have.

Last year, he could rely on the best defense in the country, but this year, LSU was significantly (by far) better than Alabama on offense, thus his back was up against the wall; he is a sophomore and this was his first big urgency in his career, but if he folds like this (Synric mentioned that he didn't play a good game overall and I agree, but he did much worse in the second half) when the chips are down, that may be an omen for the future.

Not writing him off, but there is some ammunition at this point...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Last night kind of solidified it honestly, at least in terms of where each is at right now.

Burrow:
63% completion percentage
463 passing yards
5 passing TDs
0 INTs
58 rushing yards
1 rushing TD

Lawrence:
49% completion percentage
234 passing yards
0 passing TDs
0 INTs
49 rushing yards
1 rushing TD

One big difference is Burrow is 3 years older than Lawrence.
If that matters, Lawrence has more time to grow into an elite QB whereas Burrow is already there.
And Lawrence is likely entering the draft when he's 21 years old, so he'll be two years younger than Burrow when going into the NFL.
If they play to the same age, Lawrence will have two extra years in the NFL than Burrow.

So basically, if I'm going off who is best right now, it's Burrow. Burrow is clearly ready for the NFL.
Lawrence has a sky high ceiling and has been very good, but let's see how 2020 season goes for Lawrence.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Both of these kids are great prospects and both should have great NFL careers if the team that drafts them does not screw things up by being cheap on free agents and getting the best possible coaches to develop these two young players.

We can get Burrow and there certainly is no guarantee ( in fact very unlikely) that Bengals will have a draft position next year to get Lawrence.

The key question is not Burrow or Lawrence

The key question is will the Bengals screw this up by not getting o line support in free agency and a better more experienced OC than what we currently have.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is 23 and at this point is far more developed and a better prospect . Lawrence is 20 and has more upside. However progress is not liner
and threes no way to know what T laws ceiling truly is.taking Burrow is the only smart move and if he is a bust we can always do what the cards did and draft T Law next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Last night kind of solidified it honestly, at least in terms of where each is at right now.

Burrow:
63% completion percentage
463 passing yards
5 passing TDs
0 INTs
58 rushing yards
1 rushing TD

Lawrence:
49% completion percentage
234 passing yards
0 passing TDs
0 INTs
49 rushing yards
1 rushing TD

One big difference is Burrow is 3 years older than Lawrence.
If that matters, Lawrence has more time to grow into an elite QB whereas Burrow is already there.
And Lawrence is likely entering the draft when he's 21 years old, so he'll be two years younger than Burrow when going into the NFL.
If they play to the same age, Lawrence will have two extra years in the NFL than Burrow.

So basically, if I'm going off who is best right now, it's Burrow. Burrow is clearly ready for the NFL.
Lawrence has a sky high ceiling and has been very good, but let's see how 2020 season goes for Lawrence.

Yep.

Right now, side by side, i'd take Burrow all day. Lawrence will mature and continue to develop and be the #1 pick next year. 

Three full years of experience, at least 1 NC, 21 yrs old with room to grow in the NFL...someone is going to get a very good QB next year as well. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Trevor was exposed against LSU so he knows what he needs to work on now. The next season will be a good one to evaluate him to see if he did indeed work on and improve the weaknesses in his game. Pocket presence, accuracy under pressure, accuracy on the move, accuracy in general. He has every tool to be a great QB, but in the NFL hes going to be playing against defenses like LSU all the time. If he doesnt want to go the way of Blaine Gabbart, hes got some work to do. He has plenty of time to do it and it wont suprose me if he shows great improvement.

That said, I like Burrow's demeanor and presence in general a lot better and Id take him all day every day over Trevor.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: As a prospect, Burrow is better than Mayfield, worse than Lawrence, but he's the best QB in this draft by a mile. Since we can't "save" our #1OA pick in 2020 for 2021 (and we don't have a strategy for QB in any way heading into 2020), asking if we'd rather have Lawrence is just...a pointless question. Just as pointless as comparing him to Peyton Manning or even Mayfield. We can't select those players, so whether he's better than them or not is immaterial to the decision the Bengals need to make.

The question is: Is Joe Burrow worth the #1OA pick in 2020.

As for the risk of having the first pick next year...I doubt it will happen, but even if it does, context is important. Did Burrow play? How did he look? What was the reason we lost so many games? Did Burrow look like he had a weak arm? Or was the cast around him the problem? If we're bad enough to get the #1 overall pick in two straight years, I don't even think having both Burrow and Lawrence on the team and battling is a bad idea. Gives you insurance if one or the other busts.

We can approach that problem if it comes up, but that is not the case right now and is, therefore, immaterial as well.

Let's say we think the way you do and pass on Burrow. We now have Andy Dalton on a 1 year deal and Ryan Finley. Dalton shows "Good Andy" in 3 or 4 games and we get the #2 or #3 pick.

Now we don't have Lawrence or Burrow and we're absolutely ****** heading into the 2021 season.

All because we were looking the gift horse in the mouth.

I am trying to take your questions in good faith, but I'm struggling with it.

So I have to ask again.

What is the point of this thread?

This is an incorrect statement by a mile. At least half have tua as qb1 if u take out injuries.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:29 PM)Jpoore Wrote: This is an incorrect statement by a mile. At least half have tua as qb1 if u take out injuries.

It really is a bummer that Tagovailoa got hurt, as he really would have been right there in the conversation for #1 overall with Burrow.
Up until Tagovailoa got hurt, he was my QB1.
Both would have been deserving IMO.
If that had happened, it would have been similar to when Winston and Mariota were drafted. Each had their own strengths and weaknesses so it would have come down to the offensive style the teams drafting at 1 and 2 would have preferred.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:29 PM)Jpoore Wrote: This is an incorrect statement by a mile. At least half have tua as qb1 if u take out injuries.

This is 100% a violation of our bet. Be gone troll!
Reply/Quote