Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Goodberry Mock Draft
(04-27-2022, 09:16 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I mean, maybe Malik Wright but your point is valid. 

Also, you're right. I forgot that he was only making picks based on trends. Curious what his desired picks would be.

Malik Wright has a lot of inside sources, but he doesn’t put in the analytical work Goodberry does. Wright also hasn’t been doing what he does for a decade +.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm not a big fan. I'm leaning more towards getting some oline/dline help early for better value, then hitting the secondary in the 3rd/4th where there's good value there as well. It seems like these late 1st round corners are all 2nd round caliber anyway. I'd rather get the top lineman that falls to us as that should be great value (I'm just assuming a top cb or safety doesn't fall to us).

Or, just trade back into the 2nd for more picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 11:20 PM)pulses Wrote: Bellinger is only 21 years old and has all the traits they look for in a TE and has time to grow.

Seems like a developmental guy with some potential.

Quote:Overview

Y tight end with an NFL build and adequate athletic ability but a need to keep the motor running hot in order to maximize his potential as a run blocker. While he could use a little more grit at the point of attack, additional technique work will improve Bellinger's success rate as both a zone and man blocker. He won't create any coverage mismatches, but he has reliable hands, can make contested catches and is fairly savvy working against zone. He's a Day 3 prospect, but his consistency as a run blocker will determine whether he's a short-term backup or longer-term contributor.

Sources Tell Us

"He's too mechanical as a route runner, but he's not a bad athlete. I'm OK with where he is right now as a blocker but I want to see more confidence from him in the passing game." -- Personnel executive for an NFC team

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I guess I’m in the minority but I kinda like this draft. Hard to pick it apart when we don’t know his rankings or who was available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 11:47 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Agreed. Watched the whole podcast and just disliked pick by pick. Elam and Cross are literally the only ones I liked in his whole mock. He traded down in 2 while Winfrey was available. Rounds 4-7, he just claimed these were upside based on Bengals preferences on traits.

I'm not a fan of undersized interior blockers, and that is exactly what West is.  Sure hope that the Bengals don't draft that way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 09:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like a developmental guy with some potential.

He played in a 3 TE rotation at San Diego St. and they are a run heavy team so that's why his numbers are not higher. Has good hands.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 09:45 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I'm not a big fan. I'm leaning more towards getting some oline/dline help early for better value, then hitting the secondary in the 3rd/4th where there's good value there as well. It seems like these late 1st round corners are all 2nd round caliber anyway. I'd rather get the top lineman that falls to us as that should be great value (I'm just assuming a top cb or safety doesn't fall to us).

Or, just trade back into the 2nd for more picks.

I think DL is more likely than OL.
OL is pretty set except for LG.
And I'd highly doubt they'd spend a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder on IOL to replace Carman so quickly.

I really feel it's going to be DB, DL, and maybe TE before an OL is taken.
OL I could see being a mid-round pick that can play multiple positions and maybe challenge Carman for starting reps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think DL is more likely than OL.
OL is pretty set except for LG.
And I'd highly doubt they'd spend a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder on IOL to replace Carman so quickly.

I really feel it's going to be DB, DL, and maybe TE before an OL is taken.
OL I could see being a mid-round pick that can play multiple positions and maybe challenge Carman for starting reps.
I watched a video of Ryan Wilson's last mock this morning and when it came time to make the Bengals pick he said his sources told him they would take Booth over Linderbaum if they were both on the board. If true, that tells me they are passing on Linderbaum.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:02 PM)pulses Wrote: He played in a 3 TE rotation at San Diego St. and they are a run heavy team so that's why his numbers are not higher. Has good hands.

The 3-TE rotation is overblown, IMO.
They passed for 2351 yards, but they spread the ball around very well.
Bellinger was 3rd-most on his team.
The only other guys to really receive any receptions were WRs and RBs.
The only other TE to get a reception other than Bellinger was Jay Rudolph, who had 1 rec for 2 yards.
So Bellinger was really the only receiving TE they had.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/san-diego-state/2021-roster.html
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:17 PM)pulses Wrote: I watched a video of Ryan Wilson's last mock this morning and when it came time to make the Bengals pick he said his sources told him they would take Booth over Linderbaum if they were both on the board. If true, that tells me they are passing on Linderbaum.

Wouldn't be surprising.
If we are to believe Taylor, he said Karras was the starting C.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The 3-TE rotation is overblown, IMO.
They passed for 2351 yards, but they spread the ball around very well.
Bellinger was 3rd-most on his team.
The only other guys to really receive any receptions were WRs and RBs.
The only other TE to get a reception other than Bellinger was Jay Rudolph, who had 1 rec for 2 yards.
So Bellinger was really the only receiving TE they had.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/san-diego-state/2021-roster.html

200 yards a game passing is not A LOT and since they do share it his numbers were not terrible.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wouldn't be surprising.
If we are to believe Taylor, he said Karras was the starting C.

I like Booth but I don't like his injury history. I'd rather have Gordon if he is there.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:18 PM)pulses Wrote: 200 yards a game passing is not A LOT and since they do share it his numbers were not terrible.

I didn't say it was a lot.
But there were really no other TEs, at least not when it came to receiving threat.

Compare SD St (who is in a weaker conference) to Wisconsin.
Jake Ferguson had 46 rec for 450 yards and 3 TDs on a team that had less passing than SD St.

Bellinger is in a very similar situation to Drew Sample coming out of Washington back in 2019.
The athletic measurables are there, but he didn't produce hardly at all in college.
The hope (key word) is his college program held him back, and he'll be better in the pros.
However, at least with Sample, he's not shown much of anything.
In fact, he's shown he's not worth much more than a blocking TE2 still after 3 years.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 10:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not a fan of undersized interior blockers, and that is exactly what West is.  Sure hope that the Bengals don't draft that way.
West would not play right away and he was currently 296 so he has time to put on some weight/muscle.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say it was a lot.
But there were really no other TEs, at least not when it came to receiving threat.

Compare SD St (who is in a weaker conference) to Wisconsin.
Jake Ferguson had 46 rec for 450 yards and 3 TDs on a team that had less passing than SD St.

Bellinger is in a very similar situation to Drew Sample coming out of Washington back in 2019.
The athletic measurables are there, but he didn't produce hardly at all in college.
The hope (key word) is his college program held him back, and he'll be better in the pros.
However, at least with Sample, he's not shown much of anything.
In fact, he's shown he's not worth much more than a blocking TE2 still after 3 years.
Yeah Sample should have been like a 5th rounder not a 2nd rounder
Reply/Quote