Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon
(02-03-2020, 10:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Preach it, Au.

I am firmly in the "if your RB isn't Barry Sanders, don't pay them" camp.

Use that saved money on your line and a good OC and who the RB is won't really matter (unless they're Barry Sanders, lol).

We’re not getting a new OC. Might as well give our bad one the best weapons we can.

As far as using it on the OL? We should do both, we have the space. But if it’s between overpaying paying scrubs like Bobby Hart or overpaying studs like Joe Mixon that’s no choice at all to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
You extend Mixon at all costs. He's a game changer that helps in the team in many ways. I just hope Mike doesnt get cheap.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You missed the point completely. 

Not really, you are arguing to not re-sign Mixon, one of our best players.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 10:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of course I agree then I watch the fall off of Gio compared to Mixon running in the same Offense...

Some RB's are special like Barry and I agree with you that Mixon needs to learn how to finish like Derrick Henry does but Mixon
is still one of our best players. I think you should extend your best players and I still don't think Mixon has been used like he 
should, Mixon needs to be used in the passing game more, much more.

Who do you think should be our new OC TLL? 

Eric Biemieny should have been made the HC last offseason. I would have trusted his choice in OC.

Barring that, this offseason they could have hired either Jay Gruden or Pat Shurmur. Both would have at least been solid improvements. Joe Brady seemed like a pretty low hanging fruit choice if they're going to draft Burrow. 

How about a familiar face in James Urban, which might have made Mike Brown happy. Urban did a pretty good job with Green/M Jones/Boyd as a WR coach. He's also done a good job as the QB Coach for the 2019 MVP. Would have been an interesting hire.

(02-03-2020, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’re not getting a new OC. Might as well give our bad one the best weapons we can.

As far as using it on the OL? We should do both, we have the space. But if it’s between overpaying paying scrubs like Bobby Hart or overpaying studs like Joe Mixon that’s no choice at all to me.

Why does it have to be between two bad choices?

Sign GOOD offensive linemen. They have all the cap space needed to do so if they actually wanted to.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: Let's look at all the backs in the Super Bowl last night who had carries...

Damien Williams- 17 carries 104 yards 1 TD (Undrafted)
Raheem Mostert- 12 carries 58 yards 1 TD (Undrafted)
Tevin Coleman- 5 carries 28 yards (3rd Round)

People like me keep trying to point out that scheme is more important than backs in general. If you have a good running scheme, the back doesn't matter and recent history shows paying backs large sums of money doesn't work out all that well. I get it people don't like letting good players leave but HB is one of those positions you are better off doing so if the only other option is a large contract.

Will you have the best back in the league if you don't pay one? Probably not, but you don't need the best back in the league to win.

None of those guys are on the level of Mixon, i bet they would prefer Mixon over those guys. Williams was getting trashed for the Chiefs lack of a real running game before the Super bowl and all through the season. With all do respect thats like saying you have Barry Sanders or Saquan Barkley but not willing to pay them because you hope you can find another lesser running back for cheap when the gap in talent is immense. Just picture a real running back with the lines of the teams with a lesser back that still get a few yards by default. Ijs 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’re not getting a new OC. Might as well give our bad one the best weapons we can.

If we are not getting a new play caller that is too bad that Taylor cannot see that his poor play calling was a giant reason 
why we were the worst scoring Offense in the NFL last year. Get him the best weapons we can of course but damn is that 
depressing unless Dalton was just picking the wrong plays last year.

I don't want Burrow lining up in the Shotgun on fourth and inches and running the ball....
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eric Biemieny should have been made the HC last offseason. I would have trusted his choice in OC.

Barring that, this offseason they could have hired either Jay Gruden or Pat Shurmur. Both would have at least been solid improvements. Joe Brady seemed like a pretty low hanging fruit choice if they're going to draft Burrow. 

How about a familiar face in James Urban, which might have made Mike Brown happy. Urban did a pretty good job with Green/M Jones/Boyd as a WR coach. He's also done a good job as the QB Coach for the 2019 MVP. Would have been an interesting hire.

Why does it have to be between two bad choices?

Sign GOOD offensive linemen. They have all the cap space needed to do so if they actually wanted to.

I wish they would, but I’m just going off our typical MO. Which is sign mediocre FA’s or pay our good players.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eric Biemieny should have been made the HC last offseason. I would have trusted his choice in OC.

Was all for Bienemy myself (always spell it wrong lmao).

Was also wanting us to bring in Jay this Offseason and Shurmur would of been a great grab.

Joe Brady would of been decent for sure. Urban I liked. I like Bicknell if we wanted an inside hire WR coach calling plays.

Zac shouldn't be calling the plays, this is my main gripe. Brian Callahan, give him a shot. That was bad last year.
Reply/Quote
I also wanted Bieniemy. Unfortunately it’s not the first time this team has went with the wrong coach.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I also wanted Bieniemy. Unfortunately it’s not the first time this team has went with the wrong coach.

No doubt. I wanted Bieniemy and Del Rio as the DC.

Thought we should of moved on from Zac after this season and got Ron Rivera, but whatever...

Gotta roll with what we got and at the very least we can grab Burrow and have money to spend on FA's.

CBA is up after all, MB will have to spend some dough and it is pretty damn obvious where it needs to be spent.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was all for Bienemy myself (always spell it wrong lmao).

Was also wanting us to bring in Jay this Offseason and Shurmur would of been a great grab.

Joe Brady would of been decent for sure. Urban I liked. I like Bicknell if we wanted an inside hire WR coach calling plays.

Zac shouldn't be calling the plays, this is my main gripe. Brian Callahan, give him a shot. That was bad last year.

Huge miss for 2019 Bengals fans right there.

We could have had Biemiemiememy and Dolooloologalaa on the same team.

....The season that could have been.   Ninja

- - - - - - - -

I'm off Callahan. Anyone who lacks the self respect/confidence/skill to let Zac Taylor call the plays in 2019 is clearly not the answer. Lol

I just can't picture any great coach in the NFL silently allowing someone else to do their job for them that poorly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:16 PM)804 fan Wrote: None of those guys are on the level of Mixon, i bet they would prefer Mixon over those guys. Williams was getting trashed for the Chiefs lack of a real running game before the Super bowl and all through the season. With all do respect thats like saying you have Barry Sanders or Saquan Barkley but not willing to pay them because you hope you can find another lesser running back for cheap when the gap in talent is immense. Just picture a real running back with the lines of the teams with a lesser back that still get a few yards by default. Ijs 

I completely understands why you think it because it is kind of old school conventional football wisdom. Analytics basically show us as a whole that running is not efficient in general. When you look around the league it is more about scheme over back in many cases sprinkled in with really good O line play that determines who the best backs in the league are. Everyone keeps saying Todd Gurley isn't the same because he is hurt, the real issue there is that other teams have figured out how to stop McVay's outside zone scheme, combined with a degrading O line, and all the sudden Gurley's YPC dropped an entire yard.

Sure, a great back can make some great plays but again analytics wise they don't amount for a whole lot of wins. When you start weighing their value in terms of dollars and cents against other more important positions it just doesn't make a lot of sense to pay a back elite level money. Let's look at guys like Latavious Murray, Gus Edwards, Duke Johnson, all these guys had 100+ carried and averaged well ahead of Joe Mixon in yards per carry. Now do we think any of these guys are better backs that Joe Mixon? No, of course not. They did all however outproduce him efficiency wise. In the end how "good" someone in does not matter it's about production. Recent history shows us good teams can use lesser backs they don't need to pay big money to and get production equal or greater than some of the "good" backs in the league.

Side note, Rushing tends to be viewed as a volume statistic and it really shouldn't be. People talk about 1k yard rushers like it's a big deal but if you got there on 300 carries the team would have been better of throwing every play because of how inefficient it is. Don't let things like rushing totals cloud your judgement on if a back (or more importantly scheme) is good or not look to efficiency numbers.
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with having a top RB. We should offer him and he should accept a fair extension this year.

3 year 40 mil extension. So we have him the next 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 02:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is a chicken and egg argument though.  Attitude is great, but the reason the Chiefs had confidence is because they have a QB who was the MVP in his first full season and is a top tier talent.  Being awesome at your job is what gives people confidence in you, it doesn't necessarily work to first have total confidence and then win because of that.

Mahommes is a proven "you're never out of it as long as you have him" player and people recognize that.  You have to earn that sort of thing, right?

I think the combination of top players is more important than individual players alone. SF has a dominate O-line so they can get by with lesser RBs and QB.  The Chiefs stretch the field which makes Mahomes job a lot easier. The NFL is a copycat league but you can't copy another team if you don't have the right players. One thing to note is both teams succeeded because they went outside their own picks to upgrade their team something MB won't do unless you count the BOB(bottom of Barrel) players he signs.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 09:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: I completely understands why you think it because it is kind of old school conventional football wisdom. Analytics basically show us as a whole that running is not efficient in general. When you look around the league it is more about scheme over back in many cases sprinkled in with really good O line play that determines who the best backs in the league are. Everyone keeps saying Todd Gurley isn't the same because he is hurt, the real issue there is that other teams have figured out how to stop McVay's outside zone scheme, combined with a degrading O line, and all the sudden Gurley's YPC dropped an entire yard.

Sure, a great back can make some great plays but again analytics wise they don't amount for a whole lot of wins. When you start weighing their value in terms of dollars and cents against other more important positions it just doesn't make a lot of sense to pay a back elite level money. Let's look at guys like Latavious Murray, Gus Edwards, Duke Johnson, all these guys had 100+ carried and averaged well ahead of Joe Mixon in yards per carry. Now do we think any of these guys are better backs that Joe Mixon? No, of course not. They did all however outproduce him efficiency wise. In the end how "good" someone in does not matter it's about production. Recent history shows us good teams can use lesser backs they don't need to pay big money to and get production equal or greater than some of the "good" backs in the league.

Side note, Rushing tends to be viewed as a volume statistic and it really shouldn't be. People talk about 1k yard rushers like it's a big deal but if you got there on 300 carries the team would have been better of throwing every play because of how inefficient it is. Don't let things like rushing totals cloud your judgement on if a back (or more importantly scheme) is good or not look to efficiency numbers.
If you don't run the ball your QB will get killed. If you have a subpar QB the defense will completely shut down your run game. If you have no O-line you can't run or pass effectively. There are many factors that determine the teams and players stats. I believe the team is better with Mixon  and that MB probably won't spend the saved money on decent FAs so pay him ,he will flourish with Burrow at QB
Reply/Quote

So do you think he would have been able to overcome the loss for the season of Williams, Glenn, AJ, Boling and the other injuries ? Would you be happier if we would have won six games instead of two and were picking four or five spots later in the draft? I choose to believe that maybe the football gods are smiling on us and thing will be turning around. Zac will turn things around with the new talent this year.                                       I also hope they spend in free agency instead of depending solely on their ability(or lack of) to draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 10:36 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So do you think he wou0ld have been able to overcome the loss for the season of Williams, Glenn, AJ, Boling and the other injuries ? Would you be happier if we would have won six games instead of two and were picking four or five spots later in the draft? I choose to believe that maybe the football gods are smiling on us and thing will be turning around. Zac will turn things around with the new talent this year.                                       I also hope they spend in free agency instead of depending solely on their ability(or lack of) to draft.
All we can do is hope.

I'm hoping that we extend the important pieces, trade away guys for a few more picks, draft well enough, sign some FA guys that aren't trash cheap players, and improve next year. 

Hoping for 8-8. That would be huge improvement.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 09:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Nothing wrong with having a top RB. We should offer him and he should accept a fair extension this year.

3 year 40 mil extension. So we have him the next 4 years.

Yep, resign Mixon and get him some quality Guards to open lanes and Burrow may never have to pass. And when he does, there will most likely be 8 in the box and he will have Green one on one...
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 11:54 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: All we can do is hope.

I'm hoping that we extend the important pieces, trade away guys for a few more picks, draft well enough, sign some FA guys that aren't trash cheap players, and improve next year. 

Hoping for 8-8. That would be huge improvement.

The Bengals lost seven games by a touchdown or less in 2019 with the money we should have under the cap we should be have the cash to sign multiple FAs which with the draft picks should make us competitive in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 10:36 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So do you think he would have been able to overcome the loss for the season of Williams, Glenn, AJ, Boling and the other injuries ? Would you be happier if we would have won six games instead of two and were picking four or five spots later in the draft? I choose to believe that maybe the football gods are smiling on us and thing will be turning around. Zac will turn things around with the new talent this year.                                       I also hope they spend in free agency instead of depending solely on their ability(or lack of) to draft.

If going 2-14 was a good thing then we should thank ZT for getting us into last place to draft Burrow and replace him.  He's done his job and we should move on.

I have faith in Burrow but he's already going to be dragging MBs dead weight and saddling him with what appears to be a loser coaching staff is flat out cruel.  I'm being a bit melodramatic though, but if i wanted to thank heavens for 2-14 seasons I'd be a Browns fan. 
Reply/Quote