Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon
The Giovani Bernard contract pretty much killed a future Joe Mixon contract...even if they sign Mixon to an 8mil a year deal which is highly unlikely that will be around 13 mil cap hits in just running backs.

To resign Joe Mixon they have to cut Giovani Bernard. I don't see that happening.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 06:42 PM)Synric Wrote: The Giovani Bernard contract pretty much killed a future Joe Mixon contract...even if they sign Mixon to an 8mil a year deal which is highly unlikely that will be around 13 mil cap hits in just running backs.

To resign Joe Mixon they have to cut Giovani Bernard. I don't see that happening.

A real front office wouldn't have any problem cutting Bernard loose to sign Mixon, then replace Bernard in the draft with a healthy player. But the Bengals draft oft injured backups, then overpays Bernard. They made their own bed.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 09:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: A real front office wouldn't have any problem cutting Bernard loose to sign Mixon, then replace Bernard in the draft with a healthy player. But the Bengals draft oft injured backups, then overpays Bernard. They made their own bed.

I know you love to attack the front office but this is a short sighted view. While I think Gio was slightly overpaid signing a RB for what Mixon will want is dumb... not to mention he could hold out and Gio would be RB1. Gio's contract is an easy cut this season or the next so they have insurance for any eventuality.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 10:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I know you love to attack the front office but this is a short sighted view. While I think Gio was slightly overpaid signing a RB for what Mixon will want is dumb... not to mention he could hold out and Gio would be RB1. Gio's contract is an easy cut this season or the next so they have insurance for any eventuality.

You don't know what Mixon will sign for and seem to be assuming it will be out of this world. And Gio could hardly be a RB1, he's strictly a change of pace back and a guy who can spell Mixon if he gets winded.

Reply/Quote
Wasnt feeling the gio contract amount, but resigning mixon is the right way to go. We need a back that is as dynamic as Mixon and we wont find anyone like him in a garbage pile.

Lock him down so we can get his best years.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 10:40 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You don't know what Mixon will sign for and seem to be assuming it will be out of this world. And Gio could hardly be a RB1, he's strictly a change of pace back and a guy who can spell Mixon if he gets winded.

Joe is on the record as saying RB's are underpaid and rumor is he wants to be paid as a Top 5 RB.  
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 01:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: Joe is on the record as saying RB's are underpaid and rumor is he wants to be paid as a Top 5 RB.  

Is he performing like a top 5? If he has an O line that blocks for him, could he be better than 5th best?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe Mixon is a FA in 2021. After or before this year, the Bengals are going to have to decide on whether to throw a bunch of money (that's most likely what it will take) at him and extend him.

IMO one of the bigger mistakes the Bengals have made recently is signing Gio to an extension and I think resigning Mixon could be a mistake as well.

I love Joe, but the Bengals needs to be smart here. The NFL has changed. Gone are the days where teams are throwing a bunch of money at the RB position. The Chiefs and 49ers were just in the Super Bowl with cheap veteran RBs and young RBs on rookie deals. The Patriots operate the same way.

If the money makes sense, then sure - extend him. If im the Bengals, though - I'm not breaking the bank on Joe Mixon. I'm investing the money saved on him in the offensive and defensive lines.
You are right Weezy but the Bengals management has never shown the ability to think outside of the box.

Gio is a good player and seems like a fine young man but exorbitantly overpaying for him last year and resigning Hart to a ridiculous contract are continuing evidence of the lack of creativity and the disconnect from reality existing in Bengals front office.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 12:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Is he performing like a top 5? If he has an O line that blocks for him, could he be better than 5th best?

Honestly, no on both counts.

To be a Top 5 RB in today's game, you have to be a true dual threat and a 3 down player, which Joe isn't.  

Joe is a very scheme dependant RB.  He was unimpressive his rookie year with PA's scheme, blew up last year in Pollack's, and sucked the first half of this year until they changed the blocking scheme.  
Reply/Quote