Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Staley Trade Rumor
49ers are rumored to be shopping Joe Staley. From what I read, he has another year on his contract and is owed $4.8M next year.

I also checked the PFF grades for Staley versus Andre, Og, and Fisher and he is at least 20 points higher than all of them.

I am not sure what it would take to get him. I saw some comments about a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018.

I know how the Bengal operate and the rarity in NFL midseason trades, but I think this is definitely a trade we should explore. Quality OL are hard to find given the issues across the NFL like with the NYG, Indy, Seattle, etc. Not to mention that we wasted a 1st and 2nd round picks in one draft on OL and they are turning out to be busts. I think a trade for Staley would definitely bolster the line for this season, but we also can have the assurance that next season we will have a cheap, quality LT.

I think it goes beyond this season and next season too. We would then have the additional abilities to sign Staley long term if he pans out for us either via a contract or tender. I know the Bengals like to hold on to draft picks, but to use a 3rd round pick or perhaps some kind of deal involving McCarron to bolster the LT position for the next two seasons and possibly further is something I think we really need to consider.
Reply/Quote
But that would mean Marvin admitting he made a mistake.... our tackles just need to play harder and smarter, and make less mistakes..... clap clap clap....
Reply/Quote
Eh, a good tackle at under $5 million for at least another season? They're going to want more than just a second or a third. If Shanahahanahanahan is looking to stockpile picks for the next year or two and completely rebuild, he's not going to trade for a second or later with a guy it would likely take a first round pick to replace.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:42 AM)CincyWestside Wrote: 49ers are rumored to be shopping Joe Staley. From what I read, he has another year on his contract and is owed $4.8M next year.

I also checked the PFF grades for Staley versus Andre, Og, and Fisher and he is at least 20 points higher than all of them.

I am not sure what it would take to get him. I saw some comments about a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018.

I know how the Bengal operate and the rarity in NFL midseason trades, but I think this is definitely a trade we should explore. Quality OL are hard to find given the issues across the NFL like with the NYG, Indy, Seattle, etc. Not to mention that we wasted a 1st and 2nd round picks in one draft on OL and they are turning out to be busts. I think a trade for Staley would definitely bolster the line for this season, but we also can have the assurance that next season we will have a cheap, quality LT.

I think it goes beyond this season and next season too. We would then have the additional abilities to sign Staley long term if he pans out for us either via a contract or tender. I know the Bengals like to hold on to draft picks, but to use a 3rd round pick or perhaps some kind of deal involving McCarron to bolster the LT position for the next two seasons and possibly further is something I think we really need to consider.

Rumors are Kirk Cousins will go to SF next season via FA, so I doubt SF would trade Staley for McCarron. But maybe they would.
Unfortunately, Joe Staley is 33 years old and will be 34 when his contract ends after next year. Unless Mike Brown all of a sudden changes his whole business approach and goes all-in to win now, Joe will be considered too old to give up an early or mid-round draft pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A beast run-blocking LT, mediocre pass blocker.

Would be an upgrade, albeit nothing huge.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Rumors are Kirk Cousins will go to SF next season via FA, so I doubt SF would trade Staley for McCarron. But maybe they would.
Unfortunately, Joe Staley is 33 years old and will be 34 when his contract ends after next year. Unless Mike Brown all of a sudden changes his whole business approach and goes all-in to win now, Joe will be considered too old to give up an early or mid-round draft pick.

Yeah, I figured that they might want to look at how McCarron does in a starting role before they'd shell out the big $$$ for Cousins next year. 

They'd have exclusive signing rights with him before he would be open to the FA market
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A beast run-blocking LT, mediocre pass blocker.

Dog poop to above average is a huge upgrade.
Reply/Quote
McCarron and/or a late round draft pick for him straight up.

Too bad, Brown won't do anything about it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Staley on the left, Andre on the right. That would help. But as long as the pressure is relentless up the middle, there would still be no pocket.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: A beast run-blocking LT, mediocre pass blocker.

Him on the left, Andre on the right. Thats a huge upgrade for the run game, even though they would probably still be average since the current interior line sucks donut holes.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Would be just what the doctor ordered. Great run blocker Staley is.

Just makes too much sense for us and PA likes his guys lol
Reply/Quote
Staley would be an upgrade...but the Bengals will ride Ced and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But that would mean Marvin admitting he made a mistake.... our tackles just need to play harder and smarter, and make less mistakes..... clap clap clap....

well if the tackles did play harder and smarter and made less mistakes we wouldn't be talking about the OL would we.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 01:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be just what the doctor ordered. Great run blocker Staley is.

Just makes too much sense for us and PA likes his guys lol

I'm with you, in that opinion.  The front office doesn't seem to like making moves that seem to make absolute sense.  However, I do remember one time that the Bengals brought in an aging Tackle from another team (think it was the Dolphins), I believe his name was Webb.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 02:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm with you, in that opinion.  The front office doesn't seem to like making moves that seem to make absolute sense.  However, I do remember one time that the Bengals brought in an aging Tackle from another team (think it was the Dolphins), I believe his name was Webb.

Don't remember that, must of been awhile back ha

Usually injuries have to occur for these types of moves to happen midseason.

Like when Cook i believe got hurt and we brought in Faine who actually was pretty decent for the latter part of that year.

But Faine wasn't signed by anyone at the time, this would be a much bigger move and like you and i said, makes too much sense.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't remember that, must of been awhile back ha

Usually injuries have to occur for these types of moves to happen midseason.

Like when Cook i believe got hurt and we brought in Faine who actually was pretty decent for the latter part of that year.

But Faine wasn't signed by anyone at the time, this would be a much bigger move that i don't see us doing.

Yeah they signed Richmond Webb in 2001 and 2002.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But that would mean Marvin admitting he made a mistake.... our tackles just need to play harder and smarter, and make less mistakes..... clap clap clap....

Yep that is Marvin's "default setting", play harder, clap clap clap, giggle giggle giggle.

Oh and poor clock management. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Forgot, am all for bringing OL help in.

Somebody just has to swallow their pride and admit that a mistake was made.

Which means we probably will not even explore this option.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Can we also bring in Duane Brown from the Texans?

If we weren't 2-4 and pretty much cooked already I might not be joking either.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 02:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah they signed Richmond Webb in 2001 and 2002.

That's the one.  I could remember him, just not the specifics.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote