Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe becomes a founding investor in new volleyball league
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35264914/bengals-qb-joe-burrow-invests-new-women-volleyball-league

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow is the latest investor in an upstart women's volleyball league.

Burrow and his parents, Jimmy and Robin Burrow, are founding partners of the Pro Volleyball Federation, the league announced in a statement on Thursday. The league is scheduled to begin play in February 2024.

"My family and I are thrilled to put our support behind this great opportunity for world-class volleyball athletes," Burrow said in a statement issued by the league. "No one ever achieves greatness without first being provided an opportunity. Pro Volleyball Federation is opening the door, and we are excited to see these athletes chase their dreams and goals."

According to the release, Orlando Magic governor Dan DeVos and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer are among the founding partners in the upstart league.

Early in his pro career, Burrow has been involved with companies or foundations with ties to Ohio, where he lived for most of his childhood. Dave Winham, one of the PVF's co-founders is based out of Columbus, which is roughly 75 miles from Burrow's hometown of Athens.

In the statement released by the league, Winham cited his ties to Jimmy Burrow in the announcement of the family's involvement.

"I have known Jimmy for a long time, and during the time we have worked to build this league, the Burrow family has become extremely passionate about our collective vision to grow a league based on quality, viability, fairness, and treating our players the right way," Winham said in a statement.

The Burrow family has publicly increased its off-field endeavors this year. In October, they launched the Joe Burrow Foundation, with Burrow serving as a the president, Jimmy Burrow as the vice president and Robin Burrow as the foundation's secretary. The foundation aims to serve underprivileged people in Ohio and Louisiana, where Burrow finished his college career.
Reply/Quote
This is cool, happy to see it. Looks like the league is paying decent as well - $60k base for players with over $100k for top players. I like that Burrow is investing in new professional leagues like this and opening opportunities up for athletes that may not have any otherwise.

I don't normally like using celebrities as role models, and this particular story isn't the catalyst to push me over the edge or anything but Joe seems like a really good dude. Couldn't be happier that he is here in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
Hope it sticks: I've always liked watching volleyball and I'm always perplexed how there isn't a league (I know about the failed, International Volleyball Association that Wilt Chamberlain started up).

I would watch 100% and am glad that Burrow is involved, keep it up Big Dog!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that it's very admirable that the face of our franchise chooses to contribute to the lives of others, and in this particular case the lives of lesser exposed athletes. Volleyball is a tough sport, it's in the Olympics for a reason. I hope that this venture survives and thrives.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Womens volleyball is awesome to watch. Its like a basketball game where the offense is going to go to the hoop as hard as they can to do a vicious dunk 90% of the plays and the entire defense knows its coming and goes all out to stop it. As action packed as it gets.

The Lady Cards just advanced to the National Championship game last night in a great match against Pittsburgh in fact and play Texas for the crown tomorrow, Go Cards.

Mens volleyball is just overpowering and not as fun to watch imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Joe talks a lot about just being a good human, I'm proud of the young man, he puts his money where his mouth is without a lot of fanfare. If we're ever to hoist that silver football, it'll be him that gets it for all of Who Dey Nation.... gotta believe.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 08:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Womens volleyball is awesome to watch. Its like a basketball game where the offense is going to go to the hoop as hard as they can to do a vicious dunk 90% of the plays and the entire defense knows its coming as goes all out to stop it. As action packed as it gets.

The Lady Cards just advanced to the National Championship game last night in a great match against Pittsburgh in fact and play Texas for the crown tomorrow, Go Cards.

Mens volleyball is just overpowering and not as fun to watch imo.

Yeah, Lady Cards are tough. I'm sure you watched the game with UK. That was a rollercoaster marathon....damn entertaining.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 10:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, Lady Cards are tough. I'm sure you watched the game with UK. That was a rollercoaster marathon....damn entertaining.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It was and almost all of them seem to be, its becoming one of my favorite sport to watch besides the biggies. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Good on him for the effort, but it's a money loser. Just like the WNBA and Women's soccer, there will not be a huge audience. I gie it 3 years before it folds. Just like softball, People that like to watch women's volleyball will continue to watch college teams.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 03:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good on him for the effort, but it's a money loser. Just like the WNBA and Women's soccer, there will not be a huge audience. I gie it 3 years before it folds. Just like softball, People that like to watch women's volleyball will continue to watch college teams.

agree with you. waste of money but its his money i guess an suppose good on him for trying. i just think that money woulda been better off going to his charity an feeding poor folks though
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 04:24 PM)Leon Wrote: agree with you. waste of money but its his money i guess an suppose good on him for trying. i just think that money woulda been better off going to his charity an feeding poor folks though

Instead the money goes to people playing and supporting their families. Better than a handout, if it sticks. Even if it doesn’t, it was worth a shot.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 04:32 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Instead the money goes to people playing and supporting their families.  Better than a handout, if it sticks.  Even if it doesn’t, it was worth a shot.

if you feed hungry kids an families, not a penny gets wasted. its his money an his choice just personaly i wish it was going to feeding folks. something near and dear to my hsaert and my farm an family do on a weekly basis
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 04:38 PM)Leon Wrote: if you feed hungry kids an families, not a penny gets wasted. its his money an his choice just personaly i wish it was going to feeding folks. something near and dear to my hsaert and my farm an family do on a weekly basis

The people that play in that league will have the opportunity to work for a living doing what they do, while putting food on the table.
Reply/Quote
Are the women gonna be in bikinis like beach volleyball? Is so.. I'm in..
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 04:24 PM)Leon Wrote: agree with you. waste of money but its his money i guess an suppose good on him for trying. i just think that money woulda been better off going to his charity an feeding poor folks though

He already helps children with mental illness and the one's experiencing food insecurity with his Joe Burrow Foundation.

He also has the Joe Burrow Hunger Relief fund helping the poor of Appalachian Ohio.

Now he is helping Women Volleyball players where most women sports get overlooked when it comes to playing for pay. 

Am betting he will have more charity endeavors coming down the pike as well.  

Seems to be a pretty darn good role model on how he conducts himself with such a huge spotlight shining on him too. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 09:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: He already helps children with mental illness and the one's experiencing food insecurity with his Joe Burrow Foundation.

He also has the Joe Burrow Hunger Relief fund helping the poor of Appalachian Ohio.

Now he is helping Women Volleyball players where most women sports get overlooked when it comes to playing for pay. 

Am betting he will have more charity endeavors coming down the pike as well.  

Seems to be a pretty darn good role model on how he conducts himself with such a huge spotlight shining on him too. 

well i hope it works out for him an he dont lose lots of money that coulda went to his charities instead
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 09:43 PM)Leon Wrote: well i hope it works out for him an he dont lose lots of money that coulda went to his charities instead

Why are you so judgemental, yet question others when they raise a point?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 09:43 PM)Leon Wrote: well i hope it works out for him an he dont lose lots of money that coulda went to his charities instead

Why are you worried, you're not going to watch it. Women playing in short volleyball shorts.... 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 09:50 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why are you worried, you're not going to watch it. Women playing in short volleyball shorts.... 

yessir im not interested in that. they should be allowed to wear basketball style shirt if its a resectful league
Reply/Quote