Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Joe football iQ on another level
(01-23-2022, 06:21 PM)magikod Wrote: He just needs to learn to throw the ball away  instead of trying to make a near impossible play and taking a sack for a huge loss.

Have you ever heard of intentional grounding? 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:33 AM)Synric Wrote: Did hell just freeze over? FredToast complements Joe Burrow?

[Image: john-cho-no.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 06:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He probably took some of those sacks on purpose just to break another record.

Selfish turd almost cost us the AFC title game in his pursuit of personal glory.

Put away those glasses, Joe. Your future's not looking bright.

Right!?!

Why couldn't he be humble like Tua and Herbert, and stay home for the playoffs instead of trying to show off and reach the SB? 

Glory hog!  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 07:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Right!?!

Why couldn't he be humble like Tua and Herbert, and stay home for the playoffs instead of trying to show off and reach the SB? 

Glory hog!  Ninja

Did we just become hater bro's?

[Image: step-brothers.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 08:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Did we just become hater bro's?

[Image: step-brothers.jpg]

[Image: 5V4.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think it was just Joe wanting to set another NFL first. Now we might think thats a record you don't want. But thats what sets Joe a part from the everyday person. Heart of a champion.
Reply/Quote
Would love to have seen a few thrown straight down at the RB's feet.

But luckily Joe was smart enough not to **** that arm back while surrounded by multiple Titans on sacks. The pocket collapsed so fast from so many fronts there would have been fumbles had Joe tried to do so imo.

Even though I believe two sacks taken knocked Bengals out of FG range but still think protecting the ball was the right move under such an assault.

Bengals had better go all in on fixing this O-line in off season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Are you ready to admit Burrow > Dalton yet?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:06 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Are you ready to admit Burrow > Dalton yet?

I always thought we could win with Dalton...
                                                                            ........... then I saw this team with Burrow. It is night and day. Burrow is on another level.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:29 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I always thought we could win with Dalton...
                                                                            ........... then I saw this team with Burrow. It is night and day. Burrow is on another level.

We probably could have if Zac had been coach. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So today was a perfect example of how Joe Burrow is playing multiple games of 3-dimensional chess at the same time while I am pushing around a small square rock making bulldozer noises.

Joe was sacked 9 times officially and had 2 more wiped out by penalty/time out.  A lot of people were saying "Throw the ball away!!" but if he slings his arm to throw all those away that is another 11 tosses.  Joe knew it was better to take the sacks and save his arm strength.  If he had thrown the ball away all those times to avoid sacks then he might not have had the juice left to throw that strike to Ja'Marr to set up the game winner.

He sees angles we don't even think about.

He also ducks and covers well.

But sure, he was thinking "save my arm strength" as he tried to not get killed. Whatever
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:29 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: That's the sad part, when I heard him say that I'm like damn we got a braniac eidetic memory dude here and I'm typing up all my notes at work to do CTRL +F on them later. Without all my notes and CTRL+F, I wouldn't earn a dollar in this world. Joe is a combination of coolest person alive and closet nerd I think. I don't think it's even closet, he's wearing spongebob and dunder mifflin outfits at the same time.

Yea.  That or dude is just a good ball player.

Trust me when I tell you what you watched at 930 pm with your parents after a rousing dinner of whatever the **** it was had **** all to do with why Burrow is good at football.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 05:58 PM)TheFan Wrote: Probably 3 or 4 of those sacks were definitely on Burrow and may have taken points off the board. 

That said, we won, so who cares. Fred is likely disheartened that Marvin and Dalton never won us these games so he's trying to rain on others parade since he loved both of them. 

Looking at the game log I only see one where they were in scoring position and did not end up scoring.  That one was a 16 yard loss at 12:13 in the fourth quarter from the TEN 32.   When were the others?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:19 AM)Roland Wrote: Looking at the game log I only see one where they were in scoring position and did not end up scoring.  That one was a 16 yard loss at 12:13 in the fourth quarter from the TEN 32.   When were the others?

I didn't mean all 3-4 took points off the board. They were two different thoughts and it was a poorly constructed sentence. 

There was the one in the 4th you mentioned and then he had another near the end of the 2nd half that could have. He took a 12 yard sack that made the fg 54 yards instead of 42. Luckily McPherson bailed him out. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:15 AM)TheFan Wrote: I didn't mean all 3-4 took points off the board. They were two different thoughts and it was a poorly constructed sentence. 

There was the one in the 4th you mentioned and then he had another near the end of the 2nd half that could have. He took a 12 yard sack that made the fg 54 yards instead of 42. Luckily McPherson bailed him out. 

Yeah, perfect example.  Prince false started the play before so it was 3-14.  If you just want to protect the field goal in that circumstance you should call a run or a short screen.  Or at least a couple of patterns at the sticks and a couple of outlet options.  Instead, they sent two guys on the right deep and two guys on the left to the sticks.  

Joe takes the snap and sets nine yards deep. Mixon stays in for protection and breaks out to the right flat late.  Burrow looks deep right first.  They were going for a home run.  Chase looks set to go by the defender into the endzone, Joe cocks his arm, and at that moment Simmons breaks free right in his passing lane.

He can't throw it away because he's in the pocket.  He probably can't even see Mixon with Simmons in his face at that point and he doesn't have time to redirect it to him anyway.

It sounds like you think he should have just eaten the ball in that moment.   Instead he tries to spin out to the left.  And notice that in that moment, his receivers at the sticks don't come back to him.  Instead they break for the endzone as well.  Joe tries to set up to throw it that way but the edge defender and Simmons converge for the sack.

This was never a "let's try to get the first down but make sure we secure the field goal" call.  This was a, "let's take a kill shot just before the half" call.  Trying to keep the play alive cost us three yards.  Anyone crying about that should give back all the points and yards that Burrow has gotten us by extending plays and go find a "play not to lose" team to follow.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:56 PM)Roland Wrote: This was never a "let's try to get the first down but make sure we secure the field goal" call.  This was a, "let's take a kill shot just before the half" call.  Trying to keep the play alive cost us three yards.  Anyone crying about that should give back all the points and yards that Burrow has gotten us by extending plays and go find a "play not to lose" team to follow.

Rep

And the coaches agree btw.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:56 PM)Roland Wrote: Yeah, perfect example.  Prince false started the play before so it was 3-14.  If you just want to protect the field goal in that circumstance you should call a run or a short screen.  Or at least a couple of patterns at the sticks and a couple of outlet options.  Instead, they sent two guys on the right deep and two guys on the left to the sticks.  

Joe takes the snap and sets nine yards deep. Mixon stays in for protection and breaks out to the right flat late.  Burrow looks deep right first.  They were going for a home run.  Chase looks set to go by the defender into the endzone, Joe cocks his arm, and at that moment Simmons breaks free right in his passing lane.

He can't throw it away because he's in the pocket.  He probably can't even see Mixon with Simmons in his face at that point and he doesn't have time to redirect it to him anyway.

It sounds like you think he should have just eaten the ball in that moment.   Instead he tries to spin out to the left.  And notice that in that moment, his receivers at the sticks don't come back to him.  Instead they break for the endzone as well.  Joe tries to set up to throw it that way but the edge defender and Simmons converge for the sack.

This was never a "let's try to get the first down but make sure we secure the field goal" call.  This was a, "let's take a kill shot just before the half" call.  Trying to keep the play alive cost us three yards.  Anyone crying about that should give back all the points and yards that Burrow has gotten us by extending plays and go find a "play not to lose" team to follow.

I can't believe you spent so much time typing all of that out just to be wrong. That sack was 100% on Burrow and could have cost the team. 

They did get pressure right up the gut (we got away with a hold) but Burrow does a good job spinning out to his left to get out of the pocket. He's out of the pocket and has plenty of room to toss the ball out of bounds on a play that is very likely not going to get a 1st. Instead he stops and tries going back the other way straight into the dude he rolled out of the pocket to escape. It was a bad play by Burrow but ultimately didn't effect the team. 

I'm not trying to dog Burrow at all. I'm not sure there's a QB in the league who plays as well as he did with that much pressure. There's a reason basically no other team has won after giving up that many sacks. But some of them (like that one) were still on him. Burrow being really good and Burrow making mistakes at times can both be true statements. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQLpE1rqCjo&t=6s

Skip to 37s. There's no way you can convince me he doesn't have the arm to throw that past the line of scrimmage and he easily would have been out of the tackle box.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:35 PM)TheFan Wrote: They did get pressure right up the gut (we got away with a hold) but Burrow does a good job spinning out to his left to get out of the pocket. He's out of the pocket and has plenty of room to toss the ball out of bounds on a play that is very likely not going to get a 1st. Instead he stops and tries going back the other way straight into the dude he rolled out of the pocket to escape. It was a bad play by Burrow but ultimately didn't effect the team. 

Joe Burrow wasn't even considering throwing it away at that point. He had two receivers on that side who had clearly been told to go deep if the play broke down. This was not an accident. The goal of that play call and the way Burrow executed it was to make a big play, not play it safe for the field goal. He spun out and was looking for his receivers downfield. He wasn't even thinking about throwing it away at that point. He was hit for the sack two seconds after he initially spun out, so there wasn't time to throw it away after that second read.

If you think that's a bad play or a bad call, you're probably following the wrong team with the wrong QB. You can always watch Lewis/Dalton replays if you don't enjoy an attacking offense with a play-making quarterback.

I get it. I was way not okay with some of Taylor's fourth down calls around mid-season. But after the Chiefs win I get it. This team is going to attack and win games or go down swinging.
Reply/Quote