Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe running the show ?
https://www.bengals.com/news/combine-quick-hits-bengals-see-burrow-s-next-step-on-command

Seems we will have to find something else to complain about in game day threads next season. Besides Taylor and Callahan's play calling that is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good news. Should diminish delay of game penalties at away games.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 01:24 PM)jorev5 Wrote: Good news.  Should diminish delay of game penalties at away games.

Yep

At times they seemed to struggle with that a little more than they should have. Running the play clock down to 1 second, 0 seconds before the snap. To close for comfort. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 01:24 PM)jorev5 Wrote: Good news. Should diminish delay of game penalties at away games.

They were 7-3 on the road ( not counting the Browns final game loss). I think that was one of the best in the NFL. So it was a non factor. Burrow calling more plays is similar to Peyton Manning. He and his receivers did it all the time and why keeping Higgins, Chase, Boyd, and Uzomah could be huge in chemistry. Front offices sometimes just don’t value it enough. Green Bay has really hurt their relationship with Aaron Rodgers letting some go and not valuing that element
Reply/Quote
From my limited knowledge Joe seems to study the game and work hard for game prep.  So if he is given more chances to evaluate the play before the snap and change the play if he feels the need to, I'm all for it.   I don't remember the exact details, but I recall a play in a the game I think against the Vikings where he changed the play and it went for a big gain on 4th down to Uzomah.

That's what we want from a star QB IMO.  Take the play given by the coordinators, but if the QB sees something they don't like and they understand what the defense is showing let them change it before the snap.

Edit i just looked up the thing about the Vikings play:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/12/joe-burrow-changed-play-on-key-fourth-down-threw-it-to-his-third-read/

Quote:As the Bengals and Vikings gathered around the ball for a key fourth and short in overtime at the Cincinnati 48, quarterback Joe Burrow saw an opportunity. And he acted on it.

He went to his helmet; he appeared to be changing of the play. Speaking to him by phone after the game, I told him that I said at that moment, “He’s changing it to a pass.”

“Sounds like you were right,” Burrow said, laughing.

So why did he make the change?

“They had a lot of people between the A gaps,” Burrow said. “We didn’t like the play we had called in that situation and we knew we were going to call that play if we didn’t get the look that we liked. It’s been a good play for us the last two years. It didn’t work out exactly the way we thought it would. I don’t think I’ve ever thrown to C.J. [Uzomah] on that route before but we got it done.”
Burrow said that Uzomah was the third read on the play.

“They did a great job of covering the first two and we actually threw it to C.J. in practice this week for the first time in two years. I’m glad that we got that rep because I don’t know if he would’ve been ready for it if we didn’t.”

Uzomah was so open that Burrow was mildly concerned he’d miss the throw.
“That was going through my mind,” Burrow said.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 01:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

At times they seemed to struggle with that a little more than they should have. Running the play clock down to 1 second, 0 seconds before the snap. To close for comfort. 

Wasn't sure if it was reality or just me noticing every time it happened but it felt like it happened a whole lot. It really can't help an already bad OL when the DL knows exactly when to rush. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Perhaps it was all the drinking this year but I can't remember a time where we went no huddle outside of the two min drill.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 01:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't sure if it was reality or just me noticing every time it happened but it felt like it happened a whole lot. It really can't help an already bad OL when the DL knows exactly when to rush. 

It sure seems like it happened a lot. 
Reply/Quote
If hes gonna be an all timer he'll have to be given this chance.

But dont do it until hes ready. I still see a couple tendencies in Burrow that I dont like. He refuses to take his checkdown ALOT. I love Burrow but imo Tom Brady wins us that superbowl. The RB was wideopen on literally every sack but 1 in the bowl and Iv got the video to prove it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 07:53 PM)Housh Wrote: If hes gonna be an all timer he'll have to be given this chance.

But dont do it until hes ready. I still see a couple tendencies in Burrow that I dont like. He refuses to take his checkdown ALOT. I love Burrow but imo Tom Brady wins us that superbowl. The RB was wideopen on literally every sack but 1 in the bowl and Iv got the video to prove it

I've noticed this tendency at times as well. He still has some growing to do.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 07:53 PM)Housh Wrote: If hes gonna be an all timer he'll have to be given this chance.

LOL, we only run 3 step drops and he has zero time to check down. This was his greatest trait, along with accuracy, in college.
Reply/Quote
Zac just sitting in a lounge chair sipping on a Hudepohl letting Joe call the entire game.

I can’t see it but it’s a possible.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/combine-quick-hits-bengals-see-burrow-s-next-step-on-command

Seems we will have to find something else to complain about in game day threads next season. Besides Taylor and Callahan's play calling that is.

I like less to complain about. I don't have much besides the O-line right now lol

Burrow knows what he is doing, I trust him more than anyone else and he knows what is going on IN GAME more than anyone else.
Reply/Quote
When Joe does take over let's hope he comes up with something different than "Omaha"....

Maybe "Elvis" could be his trademark audible call..... so much more swag than Manning.
Reply/Quote
I do like it if he's doing it a lot because Joe knows if he's seeing something that the defense keeps doing on a certain drive that he can exploit or if he knows something will work depending on who's on who and what looked like it would have worked in previous plays. He can also instruct his receivers, tight ends, back, and even linemen on things that he'd want to do for a specific play if he wanted it modified a bit (cutting a route off short, blocking a guy an extra second before releasing, doubling someone, etc.).

It allows him to have more control over his play and I think that it will increase his production even more.

Of course, there are some things that Joe can't see from the field or that might not fit in how the coaches want the drive or even the game to go, so he can't do it all the time, but I do like that he'll be running the show sometimes.

GET HIM A LINE TO MAKE SURE HE HAS TIME TO DO IT!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 02:27 AM)casear2727 Wrote: When Joe does take over let's hope he comes up with something different than "Omaha"....

Maybe "Elvis" could be his trademark audible call..... so much more swag than Manning.

Cigar, cigar ?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 12:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Cigar, cigar ?

Even better, lol
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 12:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Cigar, cigar ?

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
This isn't a revolutionary concept Brady was running Buccs offense last year. Manning with the Colts ran a good chunk of the offense. What I find fascinating is the Packers dont trust Rogers with this. They trusted Favre to do it more even though his TO rate was significantly higher
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 04:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: This isn't a revolutionary concept Brady was running Buccs offense last year. Manning with the Colts ran a good chunk of the offense. What I find fascinating is the Packers dont trust Rogers with this. They trusted Favre to do it more even though his TO rate was significantly higher

No one can trust Rodgers rate anymore. Strange bird. Mellow
Reply/Quote