Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross
(02-28-2018, 01:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep thought it at least warranted another look and Bodine has not done much to distinguish himself either. 

Wait a minute I stand corrected, he certainly has distinguished himself.  

Just not in a very good way.    

You know it brother.

(02-28-2018, 01:55 AM)Go Cards Wrote: What other teams offer Bodine in FA will be a good measuring stick.

I don't know man, look what the Cowgirls offered Nasty Nate...

And just like most of us thought he was out of the league soon after. A team could be stupid and offer Bodine money.

Hope they do honestly and i would be the first to tell everyone he would fail soon after just like Livings.

(02-28-2018, 05:50 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: he's to thin in my book. I know he's similar to Jackson n Brown but he's seems even thinner than those two. id much go for a guy like Christian Kirk of Texas A.M than Ross. Kirk has same build as Steve Smith n just as fiery.. not impressed from what I saw from Ross .  hopefully he changes my mind

Ross is not thinner than either of those guys.

We will see with a full Offseason pumping weights and building up his shoulders what he will look like.

Ross was always a tough mutha in college and he fought through injuries and played. As Fred said, was healthy 3 out of his 4 seasons.

He was trying to play through the shoulder last year, the coaches just wouldn't let him play.

(02-28-2018, 08:07 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well it’s Marvin and considering his shortcomings in the past and his failure to learn and adjust, one could say he doesn’t take it as seriously as we wished he would?

A very reasonable query my friend.

Merv just folds his arms and looks around with a WTF is going on look when things go wrong.

At some point you need to play the best players on the field regardless of what a stubborn coach feels.

Merv has had a nice ride where he hasn't had to be held accountable and that filters down.

(02-28-2018, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't remember that being the case.  I think it was more a case of some Bengal fans seeing what they wanted to see.  Just like so many Bengal fans claimed Peko was garbage for years.  Or the ones today who claim Kirkpatrick is garbage.

We also do not know how limited the Bengal offense was with Johnson at center. 

Well, we went right down the field against the Ravens with TJ Johnson at Center and scored a TD.

Then brought Bodine back in and were right back in the sludge.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pats got burnt paying Rex $3.2 million for 500 yards from scrimmage.  Bet they don't make that mistake again this year.

Money had nothing to do with it.

Whalen was signed and released by two teams after the Bengals (Minn, SF)

Alford was signed and released by three teams after the Bengals (NYJ, Cle, Chi)

Hamilton was signed and released by three teams after the Bengals (Mia, Car, Pitt)

Binns was signed and released by two teams after the Bengals (Mia, KC)

The fact is that Bengal coaches see all of these players in hundreds of snaps in practice.  The coaches have a very good idea about who the better players are.  If Ross, Core, or malone was better than LaFell then i'd say the coaches would have played them.

When Burkhead was healthy, he was a very solid contributor.  

Those other players were players you brought up to try and support your argument, not me.  I think the fact that Lafell played over those other players not only stunted their development, but showed other players that "we play the players we pay" and that is a poor message to send.  Ross, Core, and Malone are still unknowns heading in to this year.  And they still have Lafell.  I hear our odds for Super Bowl are 100-1.  Could this be a part of the reason?  And Marv being retained?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 03:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: When Burkhead was healthy, he was a very solid contributor.  

Those other players were players you brought up to try and support your argument, not me.  I think the fact that Lafell played over those other players not only stunted their development, but showed other players that "we play the players we pay" and that is a poor message to send.  Ross, Core, and Malone are still unknowns heading in to this year.  And they still have Lafell.  I hear our odds for Super Bowl are 100-1.  Could this be a part of the reason?  And Marv being retained?  

Marv is the worst Playoff coach in the history of the NFL. So those odds are about right lmao

Don't know to laugh or cry. Hilarious  Sad Cry
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 03:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote:  I think the fact that Lafell played over those other players not only stunted their development, but showed other players that "we play the players we pay" and that is a poor message to send. 

Actually they played the players who looked the best in practice and that is a MUCH better message to send than "We will play everyone no matter how they look in practice".

(02-28-2018, 03:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ross, Core, and Malone are still unknowns heading in to this year. 

No they are not.  Why do you keep making claims like this?  There is NO OTHER TEAM in the league that plays every player on the roster just for the heck of it.  Instead they play the players who do the best in practice.  That is the way it works in the NFL.  You can call Ross an "unknown" because he was injured most of this year, but the coaches have seen plenty of Core and Malone in practice.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually they played the players who looked the best in practice and that is a MUCH better message to send than "We will play everyone no matter how they look in practice".

No they are not.  Why do you keep making claims like this?  There is NO OTHER TEAM in the league that plays every player on the roster just for the heck of it.  Instead they play the players who do the best in practice.  That is the way it works in the NFL.  You can call Ross an "unknown" because he was injured most of this year, but the coaches have seen plenty of Core and Malone in practice.

Hoping our new WR coach can get something out of these guys.

In the end they didn't take the job from Lafell. Core really disappointed me last year after all the hype leading up to the season.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually they played the players who looked the best in practice and that is a MUCH better message to send than "We will play everyone no matter how they look in practice".

Yeah, John Ross must look awful in practice....with the exception of the video he posted on twitter called "healthy scratch" where he is doing things to our defense that I have NEVER seen Lafell do to ANY team.  

And I guess your message about practice holds true for the offensive line, right?  Westerman and Redmond looked worse in practice than Bodine or Hopkins?  Bullshit.  You obviously don't realize the time constraints of an NFL practice and the starters get the vast majority of the reps.  Marv never gave Core or Malone the chance in practice to prove themselves to the extend that Lafell would be out there.  It is who was being paid.....their big FA acquisition, Captain Average (Lafell).

Since Marv's strategy worked so well as to motivate Ross to post a video of what really happens in practice, maybe Westerman, Redmond, Core, and Malone should do the same.  It was immature, and the wrong thing to do, but it got a lot of people on here off Ross's back and on to Marvins.  You should like that idea, because it is based on what they do in "practice"  Hilarious

blob:https://vine.co/6c2d7e70-e57c-46cc-8bd2-f83f21d4b7c5
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, John Ross must look awful in practice....with the exception of the video he posted on twitter called "healthy scratch" where he is doing things to our defense that I have NEVER seen Lafell do to ANY team.  

And I guess your message about practice holds true for the offensive line, right?  Westerman and Redmond looked worse in practice than Bodine or Hopkins?  Bullshit.  You obviously don't realize the time constraints of an NFL practice and the starters get the vast majority of the reps.  Marv never gave Core or Malone the chance in practice to prove themselves to the extend that Lafell would be out there.  It is who was being paid.....their big FA acquisition, Captain Average (Lafell).

Since Marv's strategy worked so well as to motivate Ross to post a video of what really happens in practice, maybe Westerman, Redmond, Core, and Malone should do the same.  It was immature, and the wrong thing to do, but it got a lot of people on here off Ross's back and on to Marvins.  You should like that idea, because it is based on what they do in "practice"  Hilarious

blob:https://vine.co/6c2d7e70-e57c-46cc-8bd2-f83f21d4b7c5

You do realize that Ross was probably not motivated to include the things he was doing wrong in that practice video, right?
Reply/Quote

I'm with you on this one.  I thought it was quite the nice one-two punch of craziness when we were glad Marvin was leaving (yeah right) as the year wound down and we were excited to get a coach who "Got in players faces and held them accountable" but who would also "Play Ross with his bum knee and shoulder and lack of playbook knowledge no matter what because, why not?"
Reply/Quote
If he was so bad then clearly a mistake was made by not going for a position of need and jumping on Ross in draft.

They just need to admit it then and move on or at least motivate him.

But calling BS and think he will suddenly be a contributor this year.

If coaches believe he will not be ? Trade him now while he still has value.

Some team surely was high on him and will take a chance.

Or is the plan to just sit him until he walks for free ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:55 AM)Go Cards Wrote: What other teams offer Bodine in FA will be a good measuring stick.

With Paul Alexander standing on the table for Bodine in the past and looking at the Cowboys' depth chart, I wonder how much Alexander will try to draw Bodine to Dallas to back up Frederick.

They only had eight OL on their 53-man roster last year and the following players are all hitting FA:
Jonathan Cooper
Byron Bell
Joe Looney

Looney and Bell were their primary backups and Cooper was their starting LG. Bodine might be someone they try to bring in to replace Looney to back up C and RG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 12:43 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If he was so bad then clearly a mistake was made by not going for a position of need and jumping on Ross in draft.

They just need to admit it then and move on or at least motivate him.  

But calling BS and think he will suddenly be a contributor this year.

If coaches believe he will not be ? Trade him now while he still has value.

Some team surely was high on him and will take a chance.

Or is the plan to just sit him until he walks for free ?

I don't think that acknowledging that Ross was pretty much a bust his rookie year, be it due to injuries he hid, or from lack of understanding what it takes in the NFL to learn the playbook and be on the same page as everyone else, dooms him to be "that" his whole career. What I am hoping, is that it opened his eyes and he will come in this year more prepared, healthy,  and have a break out year. Remembering he did not get to participate in a lot of team activities last year due to his graduation schedule.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 01:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think that acknowledging that Ross was pretty much a bust his rookie year, be it due to injuries he hid, or from lack of understanding what it takes in the NFL to learn the playbook and be on the same page as everyone else, dooms him to be "that" his whole career. What I am hoping, is that it opened his eyes and he will come in this year more prepared, healthy,  and have a break out year. Remembering he did not get to participate in a lot of team activities last year due to his graduation schedule.

That's how I feel about it.  I'm hopeful and pretty sure he will be decent or good going on, but there is no doubt in my mind that 2017 was a flat-out bust year for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 01:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think that acknowledging that Ross was pretty much a bust his rookie year, be it due to injuries he hid, or from lack of understanding what it takes in the NFL to learn the playbook and be on the same page as everyone else, dooms him to be "that" his whole career. What I am hoping, is that it opened his eyes and he will come in this year more prepared, healthy,  and have a break out year. Remembering he did not get to participate in a lot of team activities last year due to his graduation schedule.

Well said! From everything I have read from Lazor, they want to get Ross more involved this season. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  It was immature, and the wrong thing to do, but it got a lot of people on here off Ross's back and on to Marvins.  You should like that idea, because it is based on what they do in "practice"  Hilarious

The only people that ity got of Ross's back are the ones ignorant about how football practice works.

1.  Ross did nothing but run basic routes.
2.  He did not have to read any defense or make any route adjustments.
3.  He edited out all the mistakes he made.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 12:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  we were excited to get a coach who "Got in players faces and held them accountable" but who would also "Play Ross with his bum knee and shoulder and lack of playbook knowledge no matter what because, why not?"

Exactly.

If Marvin had played Ross with his injuries the exact same people would be squaling about how Marvin was "mortgaging the future to try and save his career" because he should not have played an injured rookie when the season was already lost.

And Marvin runs the ball too much in the second half but should be fired for not running the ball more in the second half of the San diego playoff game.

The people who hate Marvin the most have no real set football values.  All they do is wait and see what Marvin does then they hate on it.
Reply/Quote
Wow!! This is beginning to look a lot like an AD type thread...?

If the dog has any fight n him, he will come out hungry this season. If he does, great!! If he doesn't, probably means he's not gonna do much. My guess is that the kid will want to prove his hater's wrong. Hope so anyways, for him & the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.

If Marvin had played Ross with his injuries the exact same people would be squaling about how Marvin was "mortgaging the future to try and save his career" because he should not have played an injured rookie when the season was already lost.

And Marvin runs the ball too much in the second half but should be fired for not running the ball more in the second half of the San diego playoff game.

The people who hate Marvin the most have no real set football values.  All they do is wait and see what Marvin does then they hate on it.
Marvin's record as a HC speaks for itself. The facts are plain and clear for all to observe. No amount of rhetoric or hyperbole from you changes his playoff record or the facts of his tenure in Cincy. He has been gifted an opportunity to re-write his legacy in Cincy.

Now it's on him!! He's been given a pass for the last decade. Time to cowboy up.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 03:49 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Marvin's record as a HC speaks for itself. The facts are plain and clear for all to observe.

Exactly.  Despite having the handicap of the worst owner in the league Marvin wins more than he loses against other NFL coaches.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  Despite having the handicap of the worst owner in the league Marvin wins more than he loses against other NFL coaches.

You and merv make a cute couple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  Despite having the handicap of the worst owner in the league Marvin wins more than he loses against other NFL coaches.

I certainly can't dispute you on that one,Fred. Maybe the part about most/other coaches,but he is steadily mediocre. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't The Three Stooges making decisions in the FO?
Reply/Quote