Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Fans Rejoice
(04-13-2017, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ESPN's Todd McShay ranked John Ross the best playmaker in this draft.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19145626/mcshay-2017-all-satellite-team-best-playmakers-nfl-draft

I'm sorry, guys, but the Bengals aren't likely to draft Ross...

And it is DUMB!!!!  Because he isn't 6'3"??? 

Ross on the field with AJ Green would scare the SHIT out of teams.  Why on earth do we want that to end up at Indy, or Tennesse?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 03:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd prefer a RB or maybe a DE, but I wouldn't be mad about drafting a polished WR with 4.22 speed.

Dalton's deep ball is not a weakness - this has been proven repetitively through the years - and he's done fine with WRs who don't have a huge catch radius. Hawkins was 5'7" and Dalton completed 65.2% of his passes aimed at him. Compare that to Cleveland's QBs only completing 58.9% of throws aimed at Hawkins.

Ross is 5'11" with a 37" vertical. That's good enough to play outside. We do need another guy that can stretch the field. I wouldn't say it's our biggest need by any means, but it's definitely a need. We missed Green's speed dearly when he went down, and even if healthy, more speed can only help.

Antonio Brown is 5'10" and his piggy QB is 6'5" (and about 300lbs, mostly lard).  It doesn't seem to affect these two.  

Ross has the hands, ability to change direction on a dime, and would be the fastest man in the NFL when he steps on the field.  Draft him and watch the offense soar.  
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 09:42 PM)09ItsOurTime Wrote: I would not be happy with this pick.

I'd be happy with him in the second, but the guy is a walking injury. He has the knees of a 10 year veteran.

Not to mention Dalton tends to throw behind receivers and makes WR's wait for the ball. That issue would just be compounded with Ross.

This might be the dumbest thing I have read all day...sorry, but how does he turn on a dime and run a 4.22 forty with 10 year veteran knees?

And you are watching a different deep ball than the rest of us.  That was Kitna. 
Reply/Quote
You guys can take this with a grain of salt but last night I read an article on (I think bleacher report) not sure, I will try to dig it up. But anyway the writer said that he has inside knowledge that the Bengals are going to target not one but 2 WR's in the first 4 rounds. I was kinda taken back by it since I don't think WR is a top priority much less 2. I would be happy with OJ in the first if they want another passing threat, at least he can help the line blocking also. Curious what everyone's thought is on this. I will try to find the article in the meantime.
Reply/Quote
We need a possession receiver, not a burner.

No thanks.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:20 AM)Okeana Wrote: If he passes physical evals he's a riser.  All the media scouts are pushing him up the boards and I would prefer him over Mike Williams any day of the week.  I'm glad their kicking the tires on all these guys and set their big board.  One of these guys are gonna get pushed down the board and I think Solomon Thomas is a guy that is way over hyped by the media who will fall.  Ross is a complete receiver who test well, but also has all the on field attributes to be a special player.

Mostly...Ross is blazing fast and that enhances Green + Eifert since any D has another problem.   We'll need pass blocking to exploit that as deep threat.  Clocking a 4.22 is special. a 4.32 would be outstanding speed.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 08:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We need a possession receiver, not a burner.

No thanks.

Boyd is a good possession WR.  We need to stretch a D, take pressure off Green.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 07:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This might be the dumbest thing I have read all day...sorry, but how does he turn on a dime and run a 4.22 forty with 10 year veteran knees?

And you are watching a different deep ball than the rest of us.  That was Kitna. 

I see you say things without a lick of knowledge about the prospect. You seem like the type of guy that heard "Ross runs fastest 40 ever at combine" and said "let's draft that guy". And that's cool, if you're a senile Al Davis.

Ross' injuries:
ACL Tears
MCL Tear
MicroFracture Surgery
Shoulder Surgery
Hamstring Injury at the combine
etc. etc. etc.

Just because he has recovered doesn't mean he's not the most injury prone prospect in recent history. Why the hell are you wanting to draft a guy who gets hurt grocery shopping? 

Even if he can recover as well as anyone, he's still hurt way more often than not.

People are backing off John Allen because he has shoulder issues, but loving Ross at 9 without a thought in the world? Come the hell on.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 07:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Antonio Brown is 5'10" and his piggy QB is 6'5" (and about 300lbs, mostly lard).  It doesn't seem to affect these two.  

Ross has the hands, ability to change direction on a dime, and would be the fastest man in the NFL when he steps on the field.  Draft him and watch the offense soar.  

You're comparing John Ross to a top 3 WR in the league!? You're dumber than I thought.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:16 PM)09ItsOurTime Wrote: I see you say things without a lick of knowledge about the prospect. You seem like the type of guy that heard "Ross runs fastest 40 ever at combine" and said "let's draft that guy". And that's cool, if you're a senile Al Davis.

Ross' injuries:
ACL Tears
MCL Tear
MicroFracture Surgery
Shoulder Surgery
etc. etc. etc.

Just because he has recovered doesn't mean he's not the most injury prone prospect in recent history. Why the hell are you wanting to draft a guy who gets hurt grocery shopping? 

Even if he can recover as well as anyone, he's still hurt way more often than not.

People are backing off John Allen because he has shoulder issues, but loving Ross at 9 without a thought in the world? Come the hell on.

Thank you!!!!! Maybe a lot of people will chill out about this guy. I would hate the pick at 9 and would still hate it in the 2nd. Hell I would rather have another OT or CB at 9 before this guy.
Reply/Quote
Running the fastest combine 40 time ever is not something to ignore.

I feel like his biggest weakness is the fact that previous fast WR's haven't panned out. But those receivers were all thought to run bad routs and have bad hands. For John Ross, though, rout running and hands are listed as a strength. That's why I think this guy might pan out. Even he even gets close to his massive potential, he is going to be a successful pick. And the best part is, we are probably going to be the first team to get a crack at him.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:16 PM)09ItsOurTime Wrote: I see you say things without a lick of knowledge about the prospect. You seem like the type of guy that heard "Ross runs fastest 40 ever at combine" and said "let's draft that guy". And that's cool, if you're a senile Al Davis.

Ross' injuries:
ACL Tears
MCL Tear
MicroFracture Surgery
Shoulder Surgery
etc. etc. etc.

The Al Davis point:  John Ross is the #1 playmaker in the draft.  He scored a TD nearly every fifth time he touched the ball.  He has an outstanding ability to generate separation and to track deep passes.  If you watch his tape (might be a good idea over just parroting what someone said about him being a one-trick pony, because he most certainly is not) there is only one or two balls thrown to him where his QB didn't underthrow him.  This forced him to stop, hold up, make the catch and accelerate again.  When the ball was (rarely) but slightly ahead of him, his feet become a blur and he just leaves the defender and catches the ball.  I have never seen a guy that is so elusive with that kind of velocity.

The injury history:  Obviously, his lower leg injuries would concern me the most, but he has demonstrated that he is over them based on his 2016 performance and his combine numbers.  The shoulder injury, I believe, came when he was playing CB, which he did to help his team when Marcus Peters was suspended. 

Your comparison to a player that is crashing in to folks every snap and his shoulder STILL is giving him problems is ludicrous.  
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:20 PM)09ItsOurTime Wrote: You're comparing John Ross to a top 3 WR in the league!? You're dumber than I thought.

People mention that he isn't tall enough, so I use a reference of a well-known top WRs height.  Sorry you can't grasp the concept.  
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:20 PM)09ItsOurTime Wrote: You're comparing John Ross to a top 3 WR in the league!? You're dumber than I thought.

Classy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 09:09 AM)redwood Wrote: Boyd is a good possession WR.  We need to stretch a D, take pressure off Green.

I agree but stretch the field guy does not have to be in the first round , I like Goodwin from Penn State.. 4.4 speed and can also stretch the field and we can look at a 2/3 round to draft him.. these type of players tend to not be great route runners so they don't see the field as much.. so I don;t see taking the #9 pick for that.  I like to see us draft a DE or LB or TE with the #9 pick. 

I don;t see a elite AJ Green (top 5 to 10) pick in the draft at WR.  I see them as #15-20 pick in 1st round type WR. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Al Davis point:  John Ross is the #1 playmaker in the draft.  He scored a TD nearly every fifth time he touched the ball.  He has an outstanding ability to generate separation and to track deep passes.  If you watch his tape (might be a good idea over just parroting what someone said about him being a one-trick pony, because he most certainly is not) there is only one or two balls thrown to him where his QB didn't underthrow him.  This forced him to stop, hold up, make the catch and accelerate again.  When the ball was (rarely) but slightly ahead of him, his feet become a blur and he just leaves the defender and catches the ball.  I have never seen a guy that is so elusive with that kind of velocity.

The injury history:  Obviously, his lower leg injuries would concern me the most, but he has demonstrated that he is over them based on his 2016 performance and his combine numbers.  The shoulder injury, I believe, came when he was playing CB, which he did to help his team when Marcus Peters was suspended. 

Your comparison to a player that is crashing in to folks every snap and his shoulder STILL is giving him problems is ludicrous.  

Regardless just the phrase gives pause with #9 pick... besides if these draft had more elite WRs, we be talking about him as a 2nd round pick for sure... now add in the injury history.. I say #9 is too high to pick.   I see the top 3 Wrs like the top 3/5 QBs.. both are higher in draft because of lack of elites... not because of their elite ability... 
Reply/Quote
I feel as though #2 WR is criminally overrated by fans.  When you look at the snaps per game that they have an impact on the game vs. the snaps per game of a lineman, it really makes you wonder if they'd be better off taking an "inferior" prospect at a position that is more critical.  Ross looks to be a good prospect, but I'm kind of skeptical of the tiny dudes who can get manhandled in press coverage as well.  
Reply/Quote

And that top 3 WR in the league was projected with a lot less talent coming out of college than John Ross is.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 01:38 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I feel as though #2 WR is criminally overrated by fans.  When you look at the snaps per game that they have an impact on the game vs. the snaps per game of a lineman, it really makes you wonder if they'd be better off taking an "inferior" prospect at a position that is more critical.  Ross looks to be a good prospect, but I'm kind of skeptical of the tiny dudes who can get manhandled in press coverage as well.  

The problem is there doesn't seem to be any OL rated top 10 right now so maybe round 2 or if we end up trading back

Plus we have that really fast dude from last year on the PS (had trouble with press coverage)
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 11:16 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Thank you!!!!! Maybe a lot of people will chill out about this guy. I would hate the pick at 9 and would still hate it in the 2nd. Hell I would rather have another OT or CB at 9 before this guy.

[Image: CVfYHvCXAAAhUap.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote