Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
John Ross is continuing to impress in OTA’s
(05-23-2018, 06:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: X2 !

A bunch of these preseason articles are all hype and end up not panning out come September. But there's a whole lot more to  be optimistic about this time around. If the line can gel and all the play makers can stay healthy it could be dynamite. 

AJ, Ross, Eifert, Gio, Mixon all on the field at the same time would give the opposing D a nightmare to cover.

So true, i hope we put both Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time a lot this year in Lazor's new scheme.

Just would make our Offense extremely unpredictable. Could run it or pass it on any play and both Mixon and
Gio are superb pass catchers and can run routes like WR's. Ross has so much talent as we have been speaking
about, Eifert is one of the best Red Zone threats in the NFL when healthy and is the best route running TE in
the NFL in my opinion and AJ is, well AJ.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 06:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true, i hope we put both Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time a lot this year in Lazor's new scheme.

Just would make our Offense extremely unpredictable. Could run it or pass it on any play and both Mixon and
Gio are superb pass catchers and can run routes like WR's. Ross has so much talent as we have been speaking
about, Eifert is one of the best Red Zone threats in the NFL when healthy and is the best route running TE in
the NFL in my opinion and AJ is, well AJ.

Agree, I would love to see Gio and Mixon on the field together in some two back sets 10/12 snaps a game. You could run all kinds of stuff with it.  Shifts and motions, run some flea flickers out of it, screens, just on and on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 06:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true, i hope we put both Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time a lot this year in Lazor's new scheme.

(05-23-2018, 07:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree, I would love to see Gio and Mixon on the field together in some two back sets 10/12 snaps a game. You could run all kinds of stuff with it.  Shifts and motions, run some flea flickers out of it, screens, just on and on.

If only one can carry the ball I don't see what the point is in using two backs.  I don't want to beat either one of them up using them as a blocking back, and while they are good receivers for RBs they can't get open with route running like a WR.  RBs run screens, flares, wheel routes and simple stuff like that just to get into space.  They can't run precision routes and make catches in small windows like WRs
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 07:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree, I would love to see Gio and Mixon on the field together in some two back sets 10/12 snaps a game. You could run all kinds of stuff with it.  Shifts and motions, run some flea flickers out of it, screens, just on and on.

I'm not so sure about putting both HBs in the formation.  San Francisco did that a lot in the late 80's to early 90's, didn't take too long for defenses to catch up to it.  Now, I'm all about having Hewitt in the game more often.  He's versatile, can block straight up like a FB, can line up in the wing and lead that way, can line up at TE and run routes or block, go in motion for either blocking or receiving, etc.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 05:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, but to say you're glad that they are making mistakes is sure weird. Never seen Belichick glad his players are F'ing up. Lol

- - - - - - - - - - -
Oh, I ignored the positivity in the thread all the way because it seems we get like 3-4 of these types of stories an offseason as the season comes closer to the start.

So-and-so did MMA in the offseason.
So-and-so when back to their Olympic workout regimine.
So-and-so was unstoppable when playing Calvin Johnson on the scout team.
So-and-so is finally moved back to his natural position.
So-and-so is the best rookie corner Marvin has ever seen.

There's always some every year. By this point I have long since reached a point where I won't buy into the hype until I see the change on the field in real games. Would be great if Ross turns it around and is a big time WR. I am just not buying in quite yet.

God forbid a Bengal fan should ever have a happy moment or look forward to anything.  Everything suxx.  Every positive word is a damn lie.  Buy into nothing.  Believe no one.  Enjoy nothing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes me feel better also that Marv is giving him some compliments. Not in his doghouse anymore.

Completely agree.  We'll see how he does on the field, but I'm optimistic.
Well your honor, we've plenty of hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence. - Lionel Hutz
Reply/Quote
If Ross can accomplish what Henry (15) accomplished in such a short time (considering Ross was drafted #1), I'll give him a pass... if he flops this season, hope he gets traded or released.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 11:58 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If Ross can accomplish what Henry (15) accomplished in such a short time (considering Ross was drafted #1), I'll give him a pass... if he flops this season, hope he gets traded or released.

Before AJ Julio and a few other relatively young guys most young WRs didnt take off until year 3. Like just abou every other position. Guys generally dont come in and just dominate at their position. It takes time.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is the guy that i wanted us to Draft. He has all the talent in the world, always said he reminded me of a faster
Antonio Brown. Great ability in open space, very shifty, quick with good hands and was the best Red Zone threat in
college at one point. Love hearing he is back to feeling like he did but even better. 1 TD every 5 times he caught the
ball.

It is starting to click, look out. This guy really could take the NFL by storm. He can do it all and with him being able
to lift, learning from AJ and Lafell and going against Will Jax who says he is looking good gives me great optimism
for John Ross once again.

Makes me feel better also that Marv is giving him some compliments. Not in his doghouse anymore.

While hopeful of this, I will reserve enthusiasm until I see him starting at X receiver opposite AJ Green and Boyd in the slot.  If Lafell is there, and I have to read about what a professional he is, well....I will just prepare for another season of mediocrity.  
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 06:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Last year was a wet blanket for a lot of us.  But, I'm with you, there is a lot more to be excited for this year, than last.

Last year the strategy was hope:

Hope that Ced pans out at LT
Hope that Fisher pans out at RT
Hope that Hopkins pans out at RG
Hope that Bodine improves
Hope that Ross can take advantage of single coverage opposite AJ Green
Hope that Tyler Eifert stays healthy. 
Hope that a stud RB can transform a stale offense
Hope that Paul Alexander deserved ANOTHER chance to do something with this offensive line

And hope, as they say in the military, is not a strategy...as every single one of those hopes fizzled.

This year:

They addressed LT with a proven veteran
They have three players competing for RT
They have Westerman and Redmond, who showed well in their only action last year, to man the RG spot.
They drafted a center in Rd 1 who won the Rimington Award last year
They have Ross healthy and humble.
They addressed the offensive line scheme to fit Lazor's wishes with Frank Pollak.

Actions, not hopes.  This year should show a very different result.  
Reply/Quote
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Dalton_I_thought_we_had_a_good_day_out_there/1df5e84d-62cf-4db5-ab8d-ff7f6da57792

At about 2:10, Ross admits he did not know the playbook last year. So much for the Marvin was picking on him blah blah blah....
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 06:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: X2 !

A bunch of these preseason articles are all hype and end up not panning out come September. But there's a whole lot more to  be optimistic about this time around. If the line can gel and all the play makers can stay healthy it could be dynamite. 

AJ, Ross, Eifert, Gio, Mixon all on the field at the same time would give the opposing D a nightmare to cover.

For some of the old timers on the board, there has never been a better hype piece story than the "Nasty Nate" article HobSPIN came out with years back. This is the time of year the flowers are blooming, optimism is in the air and everyone is ready for football, so fluff pieces are easier to get by with. 

With that said, I too, am a little more pumped for this training camp, not really the season yet until we see how some of these younger guys look against each other, not other teams. As others have said, we need the younger guys to step up big time this year.

A lot of people in the thread have said that it isn't the drafting lately that caused the last few years, and I'm not sure thats true. I think its a mix of the drafting being pretty poor the last few years, injuries to some of those draft picks exasperating the bad drafts (WJaxIII), bad coaching philosophy and not getting young guys more reps, and ultimately not replacing the talent we lose in free agency. We've signed guys like Dre K, while letting extensions come and go for guys like Zietler. Duke doesn't get a pass for having no back ups and putting all of his eggs in Ced and a few other players, S. Williams cough cough, Vigil cough cough, Billings cough cough, Fisher...... the list goes on and on. We could have signed free agents but this front office hand cuffs Tobin a lot as well. 

To blame this all on drafting is kind of a "madden" mindset. This is a perfect shit storm of the whole organization. Hopefully as others have said, this will finally be the year that a different mentality and philosophy is what changes, which has been the biggest hiccup in this franchise for years.  
Reply/Quote
Being the Washington Generals of football I'm not sure why anyone really expects anything different other than yet another almost season.
It's like marrying a stripper who gets into it for the attention then expecting a humble church mouse of a wife..  (Yes, I got THAT dumb as a 22 year old kid and married one and no, your mother won't be impressed at your new bride if you do it too. Trust me.)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actions, not hopes.  This year should show a very different result.  

Have to agree with this.

Much different off season and draft than anything I can recall.

Management was pro-active and creative this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This might be one of the stupidest things said that I have read in awhile.

He's GLAD Ross had some stupid plays, and would be upset if he didn't have stupid plays because it validates his job? How about being glad if there are 0 stupid plays, because it means you have smart players?

"I sure am glad this RB is fumbling all the time, I would be mad if he didn't, because then I couldn't coach him to not fumble as much."
"I sure am glad this QB keeps throwing INTs. I would be mad if he didn't, because then I couldn't coach him to stop throwing INTs."

What? Lol

Think he meant he was glad to see it in practice where it can be coached

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We really need Ross to step up big this year.

AJ, Ross, and Eiffert could be quite formidable coupled with Gio and Mixon running.

Hopefully we did enough to fix O-line so we can bear witness to the offensive firepower we sport.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 11:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: We really need Ross to step up big this year.

AJ, Ross, and Eiffert could be quite formidable coupled with Gio and Mixon running.

Hopefully we did enough to fix O-line so we can bear witness to the offensive firepower we sport.

Yup,

There's been several good/really good, hell even leaning towards great Bengal teams on paper over the ML/MB tenure. And we know all to well none of them have truly panned out.

I don't think ML is a dummy. I think both he and MB have been to damn stubborn to admit their way doesn't work ! I'm hoping the bit of change we have seen this off season is finally their admission. I'm hoping Marvin is ready to adapt to the new NFL and willing to let the new coaches help him.

If this O-line can gel this could be a special season - finally. And I think Ross has the potential to be a big help.
Reply/Quote

Yes, the unpredictability of it is what really stands out to me. Defenses wouldn't know what is coming.

If we line up 3 and 4 WR sets they will, or go jumbo package they will.

(05-23-2018, 07:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If only one can carry the ball I don't see what the point is in using two backs.  I don't want to beat either one of them up using them as a blocking back, and while they are good receivers for RBs they can't get open with route running like a WR.  RBs run screens, flares, wheel routes and simple stuff like that just to get into space.  They can't run precision routes and make catches in small windows like WRs

Mixon particularly was spoken about his exceptional route running and hands at Oklahoma, he can run precision
routes like a WR. Gio is no slouch at this either, i don't care for those out screens that get Gio blown up. Would
prefer to use one of these guys as a Slot receiver at times. Not saying all game or anything.

The Patriots do this all the time, use their RB's as WR's. It is like an extended handoff.

(05-23-2018, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure about putting both HBs in the formation.  San Francisco did that a lot in the late 80's to early 90's, didn't take too long for defenses to catch up to it.  Now, I'm all about having Hewitt in the game more often.  He's versatile, can block straight up like a FB, can line up in the wing and lead that way, can line up at TE and run routes or block, go in motion for either blocking or receiving, etc.  

Try a little more current Sunset, like how the Pats use their HB's at times as WR's. Our guys are made for this.

Love Hewitt but he is not near the gamebreaker that either Mixon or Gio are.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Dalton_I_thought_we_had_a_good_day_out_there/1df5e84d-62cf-4db5-ab8d-ff7f6da57792

At about 2:10, Ross admits he did not know the playbook last year. So much for the Marvin was picking on him blah blah blah....

How the ******* did our scouts evaluate this guy and then our coaches coach this guy for 5 months until the beginning of the season last year... plus another 3 till the end of the season   ugggggggggg.They need to give the 40 minute profiling questions they do for employment to the players at the Combine too.  "Rosie" Ross :paul:

Hopefully in 5 months I can :andy:  a "Rebounding" Ross
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 12:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, the unpredictability of it is what really stands out to me. Defenses wouldn't know what is coming.

If we line up 3 and 4 WR sets they will, or go jumbo package they will.

Mixon particularly was spoken about his exceptional route running and hands at Oklahoma, he can run precision
routes like a WR. Gio is no slouch at this either, i don't care for those out screens that get Gio blown up. Would
prefer to use one of these guys as a Slot receiver at times. Not saying all game or anything.

The Patriots do this all the time, use their RB's as WR's. It is like an extended handoff.

Try a little more current Sunset, like how the Pats use their HB's at times as WR's. Our guys are made for this.

Love Hewitt but he is not near the gamebreaker that either Mixon or Gio are.

Exactly Nate !

We need our game changers on the field as much as possible. It's not a staple of the offense where both backs are lined up in the backfield all the time, that's not what I mean. It's a wrinkle you throw in to get the playmakers on the field together !

You shift out of the two back set and send one in motion or to the slot then motion him back across the backfield or whatever.

Hewitt and Kroft and whoever else should see time as well but they're not the game breakers Gio and Mixon are !
Reply/Quote